It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure God does not exist

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

Not home right now, will post your answer when I get the chance. I might even make a thread about it. Stay tuned.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

I would have the utmost respect for him if he were humble enough to admit where he is wrong instead of prolonging a conversation that could potentially be ended with him answering a simple question.

Looks like he is going to avoid this. What a shame

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by reaxi0n

I am not wrong, simples. Just because you cannot see something does not make it exist. Just because you do not have proof of something does not make it non-existent either. You must accept those facts.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
reply to post by reaxi0n

I am not wrong, simples. Just because you cannot see something does not make it exist. Just because you do not have proof of something does not make it non-existent either. You must accept those facts.

Who said that? I accept that. I said on the first page everyone should be agnostic because there is no proof one way or the other.

You are the one who must back up your claim that you are 100% sure god exists.

I accept your degree, I await your answer.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by reaxi0n

Not avoiding anything, Let me get home then I will make a nice answer for you.
edit on 112929p://2America/ChicagoFri, 24 Feb 2012 11:55:09 -0600 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I look forward to reading it

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Here's rigorous, mathematical evidence that God exists so large in volume that it amounts to proof:
smphillips.8m.com...
It comes from someone who was a theoretical physicist, too .......
Come back in six months after you have finished mastering all his work and offer an assessment.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
Hes doing a copout. I am 100% sure god exists. Why can't he be sure of his beliefs. He is a hypocrite. Anyone can say you can't be 100% sure and when proof is discovered say well I didn't say 100%. He is only a biologist and does not know anything about physics, quantum theory, general relativity, cosmology, etc..

How are you even a LITTLE BIT sure that you're not dreaming right now? Last night when you were walking on the ceiling and talking to your kindergarten teacher who has been dead for years, you thought that was pretty convincing. You don't know SQUAT other than:

A subject observes itself observing itself observing itself ad infinitum.

It's called solipsism and it's the dirty secret of religion AND science.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I don't understand the significance of this.

Someone could tell me the easter bunny exists or santa claus, just because i don't see him/her doesn't mean they don't exist. But the logical point is that, if you can't see something in a physical form it simply does not exist from the point of the observer.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthinfact
reply to post by EasyPleaseMe

I am American, I read the article yeah yeah. I can tell you most Americans have never heard of this guy.

Welp. Sorry atheist friends. Your leader came out of the closet.... so to speak.
edit on 2/24/2012 by truthinfact because: (no reason given)

PS. "Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure you Exist"

edit on 2/24/2012 by truthinfact because: (no reason given)

*facepalm* .......Please don't speak for all Americans when you say that most of us haven't heard of Dawkins.....It just helps make us look dumb to the rest of the world....I would like to think that most Americans are aware of the guy! He was the subject of a South Park episode for crying out loud!

Also you really fail to understand that Atheism isn't based on blind faith like Religions. No self respecting Atheist would say they are 100% certain God doesn't exist....that's blind faith, and goes against everything Atheism stands for.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Consider a piece of pure white paper that is bigger than your entire field of vision. You're looking at this white color and from your perspective, you would see absolutely nothing, because there is no contrast or form with which you can see something in comparison to "other".

Now, if a black dot appeared in the middle of this vision, you would alas, see something. You would say that the black dot "exists". But in reality the black dot isn't a "thing" or an object. It's an illusion, something that only "exists" because it has contrasted itself against a background. But in reality, you are still looking at the white piece of paper.

Apply this to the idea of God. If God is EVERYTHING, then God does not experience existence unless he contrasts himself against the other parts of himself. Without separation, there can be no experience of existence. Therefore, as you look at any component of creation (planets, stars, people, animals etc) You are only looking at the different forms of the whole. YOU are a dot on this white paper of creation. You think that you are separate from creation or (God) and that you exist as separate from everything else, but in reality, you are just a contrasted form of GOD, an illusion created to experience existence.

Dawkins doesn't see this. He searches for a form or thing that is called God, a unsolvable quest. If you could see God, as a form or an entity, then what is outside of his borders? However, if you are truly aware, you would see that every form of creation is a perceived contrast against the whole. You would see that you and everyone/everything around you, is God.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Stupid thread; Dawkins has always said he is a high 6 on his scale of atheism(from 1-7). Just shows how silly religious folk are. I don't think I have ever heard a religious kook suggest there is even a slight tiny chance they might be wrong, it's always pig headed boringness. But then again that's because religious kooks don't have an investigative or open enough mind to be truely rational. I would hate to have that much of a mundane brain.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ComeFindMe
The rational approach would be to accept that we can never be 100% certain - though i've yet to find a practising Christian who would even entertain the notion or remote possibility that there may not be a god....

Add me to the listl I have been shown and experienced so much that personally proves to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. The Holy Spirit testifies this is true and I pray that all who read this will have a similar reassurance, comfort and experiences to help instill the same faith. Pray with love and sincerity and you find the truth.

In any case, all roads lead to being a good person, growing individually and finding your purpose here on Earth. The presence of the Holy Spirit will help guide you down this path.

Peace and Love,
Golden

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

There is no possible way what so ever that you could possibly have a 100% doubt that God does not exist. Because you cannot prove without a shadow of a doubt that a creator could not , and does not exist.

You could not logically provide an answer in any way to prove that God does not exist.

You could actually only be an Agnostic or a Deist within comfortable logical knowledge.

--------

I suggest you look up parapsychology research. This is scientist that use the scientific method through approved scientific research methods to obtain data on paranormal or unknown human physics. They put out 50 page reports on studies in very detailed manner.

They have proven without a shadow of doubt , humans can do things that are not logical and things occur that should not be occurring. Such as the experiment with the X above near death experiences (placed above of their bed on a shelf) showing people saw these X's (randomly placed through the hospital and are unknown to the patients) there is no way they could have seen it , or known about it. This proves something happens at death , it simply requires more studies and more test. This is ony 3 years of research instead of the 20 they put into other areas.

Does this prove there is a God? No way. Does it prove humans can do things that deny what we understand of human conscious and ability? Yes. It requires a lot more research.

-------

www.rhine.org...

That is the link to one of the most used parapsychology institutes. Very interesting stuff.
edit on 24-2-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Lack of belief in a thing does not equate to conviction of its non existence.

Let that sink in for a moment, its really important. There is a null. Thats where most Atheists reside. The no evidence, not interested zone.

If he said he believed 100% there was no god he'd in fact be advocating a religious belief of sorts. Its not possible to prove the non existence of an intangible omnipotent presence. Therefore to state it with total conviction is itself an unfounded belief.

I've met some lately who are of a religious mindset but have adopted Atheism as their religion because its cool. That amuses me.

I suspect that religious people don't have that null setting. They always believe either for or against. Thats why all these threads always end up in pointless acrimony. I'd really like to see a study of the neural pathways of fervent believers vs non believers, to see if there is a detectable difference.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

He's just being honest. And over the years, he has softened his tolerance toward diversity. It's not something to insult or disrespect; it only makes his work more accessible to people who were initially turned off by the militarism. I was one of those people at first, but I have read all of Professor Dawkins' books on biology/genetics and the man is brilliant.

This is coming from a Christian.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup

If he said he believed 100% there was no god he'd in fact be advocating a religious belief of sorts.

I just wanted to point out this part of your post. This video was posted earlier on page 2. It dismisses that point in there. It's a neat video in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by reaxi0n
Technically speaking I think everyone should be agnostic, as no one can be 100% sure of anything.

Everyone is Agnostic - - whether they want to admit it or not.

Every Atheist is an Agnostic Atheist. Because logically and scientifically - - - god can not be proven or dis-proven.

Its a straight forward logical answer.

No surprise.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by reaxi0n
Technically speaking I think everyone should be agnostic, as no one can be 100% sure of anything.

Everyone is Agnostic - - whether they want to admit it or not.

Every Atheist is an Agnostic Atheist. Because logically and scientifically - - - god can not be proven or dis-proven.

Its a straight forward logical answer.

No surprise.

I guess what I meant to say is everyone should admit they are agnostic instead of being stuck in the "absolute" sides of the spectrum.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup
I've met some lately who are of a religious mindset but have adopted Atheism as their religion because its cool. That amuses me.

Yeah.

And those who claim Atheist because they're mad at the church or someone in a church.

It is Lack of Belief. That is all it is.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join