It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure God does not exist

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

And I told you what degrees I hold. Those topics I told you are subsets of physics.

No, you said a degree in physics. Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate etc? I will take a shot in the dark and say none of the above.

I do know this, I will show you all my college physics textbooks when I get home that were required for me to get my degree, not that you would understand if you had any science degree.

What would pictures of books prove? You could have failed miserably in all of your classes, which seems like the most likely case.

Many people with physics degrees (like myslef) know that god exists. You would know that too if you got your degree.

I would expect a better argument from a physicist. One based on facts and not obscure irrelevant conjecture. Stephen Hawking does not believe in god. Patrick Blackett did not believe in god. Frank Close does not. Albert Einstein did not. I could keep listing many of the brightest minds humanity has ever seen, and Nobel Prize winners who do not see any proof for god.

Are you claiming that upon acquiring your 'degree,' you received knowledge unbeknownst to mankind, and are refusing to share it? You have not mentioned any studies you have done, and you have not addressed how physics is even relevant to the existence of a god.

The only thing you are 100% certain in, is that you have faith. You can not be 100% certain that a god exists. Your argument is nonsense.

I expect better of a physicist

edit on 2-24-12 by reaxi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by reaxi0n

No, you said a degree in physics. Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate etc? I will take a shot in the dark and say none of the above.

I will tell you BS, which is one of the above

What would pictures of books prove? You could have failed miserably in all of your classes, which seems like the most likely case.

I will show you the grades and transcripts to shut you up.

Then you will show me how you are more qualified than me. Bust out your GED
edit on 112929p://2America/ChicagoFri, 24 Feb 2012 11:21:32 -0600 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

edit on 112929p://2America/ChicagoFri, 24 Feb 2012 11:36:54 -0600 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I will tell you BS, which is one of the above

Yes you most certainly do have a degree in BS don't you

I will show you the grades and transcripts to shut your piehole up.

My "piehole" would much rather you address my questions and not continue to be evasive

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by reaxi0n

Your brought up the topic of debating my background and you will get the answer. Unless you accept my background this won't go anywhere.
edit on 112929p://2America/ChicagoFri, 24 Feb 2012 11:23:22 -0600 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

edit on 112929p://2America/ChicagoFri, 24 Feb 2012 11:36:27 -0600 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I have asked numerous times how physics is relevant to the existence of god. How did you come to this conclusion?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by reaxi0n

What are your credentials to address this question? Are you still in HS or college and studying what? Then I can put it in laymens terms for you.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

I graduated with a Masters in cognitive psychology.

Lay it on me.

ETA: I do not need "credentials" to ask you to back up your claims.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by reaxi0n

Until you accept that my background is valid, I will not offer any answer because you will say ridiculous things again.

Ok I will accept that you have your degree, now you must accept my side.
edit on 112929p://2America/ChicagoFri, 24 Feb 2012 11:27:37 -0600 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

reply to post by reaxi0n

Until you accept that my background is valid, I will not offer any answer because you will say ridiculous things again. It is like trying to show how to operate a computer to a primate.

I will come to my own conclusion upon taking your answer into consideration.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by reaxi0n

Then I will not answer because of the above. I am already beginning to doubt your degree.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

This is called critical thinking. I do not care if you doubt my degree. You asked if I was in HS or college, and I told you.

You can not answer the question, because you have no answer other than complete faith, and faith alone. I would have thought a physicist would like to enlighten mankind to absolute knowledge?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

reply to post by reaxi0n

Your piehole brought up the topic of debating my background and your piehole will get the answer. Unless you accept my background this won't go anywhere.
edit on 112929p://2America/ChicagoFri, 24 Feb 2012 11:23:22 -0600 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

To be fair, you don't discover anything revolutionary while studying physics. It's all just memorization and applying equations and such to real-life situations. Nothing in there about proving a god's existence.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Varemia

reply to post by reaxi0n

Your piehole brought up the topic of debating my background and your piehole will get the answer. Unless you accept my background this won't go anywhere.

To be fair, you don't discover anything revolutionary while studying physics. It's all just memorization and applying equations and such to real-life situations. Nothing in there about proving a god's existence.

This is why I was asking him how it's relevant

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by reaxi0n

You refuse to accept an answer that I will give and will reject my background if you do not like my answer, that is why you are not ready for the answer.

You will then say ' you have no degree' because you did not like my answer and will require proof of my degree.

So this step must be taken care of before we begin our answer.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I do not know you. I did not ask for proof, you volunteered it. The logical fallacy here is that you are saying I must take your word for it, without you substantiating your claim. I do not have to take your word for it until I am persuaded otherwise. Any logical answer will do. I am just looking for your answer to how you applied physics to find the existence of god.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Nothing is more important to me than my faith. With that said it is faith. I cannot prove God exist. I believe it 100%, but I don't know it 100%. There is a difference. There are a lot of Historians, and Lingistical Scientist that have put a lot of evidence forward that points to God existing, however even they say there is not 100% proof.

If there was 100% proof, there would be no faith. "Blessed are those who do not see me, and yet still Believe."

As a Christian I am happy. Most Athiest I talk to say they know for a fact God does not exist. They claim the hatred of what Mankind has turn religion into, not what God taught. Yes, I also know there are Christians with the same kind of hate, but again that is not what God taught.

Please try and understand that if someone tells you God bless you, they are giving you the highest compliment they know. Instead of taking it as an insult to your belief or lack of, tell them you don't believe, but thank you for wanting my life to be better.

IMHO
God bless all of you.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by reaxi0n

I do not know you. I did not ask for proof, you volunteered it.

No I did not volunteer it, you asked for my background and I gave it.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by student777
Nothing is more important to me than my faith. With that said it is faith. I cannot prove God exist. I believe it 100%, but I don't know it 100%. There is a difference. There are a lot of Historians, and Lingistical Scientist that have put a lot of evidence forward that points to God existing, however even they say there is not 100% proof.

Complete respect for that post.

This is how people should approach religion. Take the evidence at hand (or lack) and use it to either have faith or not, but no one should assert the existence or non existence as 100% fact. It's simply a problem I don't think will ever be answered.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

reply to post by reaxi0n

Oh come on. You know you're just avoiding the point. You made claim A:

"I am 100% certain that God exists"

You then backed up your assertion by saying that you know physics, or something along those lines. When you are asked to substantiate your claim, you avoid the question. Do you even have an answer, or is your certainty simply based on fact-less faith just like everybody else?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

reply to post by reaxi0n

Yes, but I didn't ask for you to prove it.

You said

I will show you the grades and transcripts to shut you up.

I did not ask for that. Your proof would be you answering the question.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join