It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure God does not exist

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

and how do you know when your imaginary friends answers your questions?
how do you know it's not the voice of your longing?
there is no way so what you suggest in my view is delusional

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Idk if anyone has mentioned this yet, but even in his book The God Delusion, he says that he isn't 100% sure that God doesn't exist. I don't know why or how this is news. He puts his scale of belief from 1-7... 1 being devout believers that would always say with 100% certainty that God does exist. The flip end of that scale is 7 and those are people who would say that there is 100% certainty that God doesn't exist. His point in the book was that there are far more 1's in the world than 7's. That is why he is 6.9/7 in his beliefs.

I think him saying that the possibility of God is there is far more open minded than Christians (and other religions) saying that God exists 100%. I grew up very very Catholic, Church every sunday and the like and from my experiences, I can say that I've never felt anything that would give me the inclinations to believe in a God even though I sat in his presence every Sunday for 18ish years.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
He's not saying anything he hasn't said before, I don't see how this is "breaking news".

Dawkins is simply saying it can't be proven there is empirically no creator, just as it is impossible to prove there is - except that there is zero evidence of any traditional religious creator, and mountains of evidence to suggest one is not needed for life to exist.

Maybe for the crazies in middle America this is startling to hear someone put fact before their own beliefs, but this is how we roll in the civilised world.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I cant be sure Santa does not exist. You people are tools...

I am sure as hell not stupid enough to live my entire life on a whim that maybe, just maybe, a bunch of medievil people too stupid to comprehend modern science (with iq's less than the average 4th grader today) might have been able to even grasp what they were writting about...

And maybe, just maybe, all those crooked kings and popes throughout the past 2000 years might have left it exactly the way it was written LMAO...

And even if all that were true, id have to be sooo ignorant and un-open minded to actually believe that my religion and my god are the only god, even though my religion was only "created" 2000 years ago, thousands of years after countless religions that make allot more sence and have allot less holes.

Religion is the source of all evil, racism and ignorance. The closest thing to Satan is the Pope. I bet you hate me for saying that, congradgulations you are the ultimate tool. You now know why religion was fabricated.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by kman420

Calling people tools is not how you disagree. Please learn proper manners. Thnx.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

"6.9 out of 7" on a 1-5 scale.
sounds kosher.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Look, Dawkins isn't about to switch teams. He's just moving from an illogical, indefensible position to one that is logical. No one can claim "God doesn't exist!", the most a person can claim is "To the best of my limited knowledge God doesn't exist."

Or to the best of my limited knowledge taken from a book of stories written by 30+ people over 1500 yrs he may exist

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Woah steady on, I might be a person of faith now but I was (and to some degree) still am rooted in the fields of Science & Technology.

He never said he didn't believe, he just has issues with the way god was/is presented in this day and age. Yes he labelled himself an atheist (or others did who raised him up as their spokes person) but I am pretty sure in the past he said if he was anything, it was almost agnostic i.e. he doesn't rule it out, you never should in science but he has yet to see evidence put forward that suggests otherwise.

There is a difference in that statement.

You many not believe there is someone, of authority, above you but just look at the scale of the universe, there could be life forms out there that make us look like dust and they will be nothing in comparison to whoever created this known universe.

Logic is one thing, and science will use it as an instrumentation device (engineering term for measuring stuff and reading things like voltage, forces, waves...) but you also have to balance that side with common sense and the big questions mark, the unknown factor that can never be truly calculated out of an equation.

So take out religion, meta science and the "hippies" out of the equation, you can't rule out that something much grander, be it god or whatever made the known universe with absolute precision and purpose - that thing must be VASTLY SUPERIOR than us.

That is the problem with us humans, we are too afraid to admit that something potentially amazing or terrifying out is out there that we simply cannot comprehend.

Think about this one, if god or whatever made something, imagine the kind of being that would have created something out of nothing, literally willing it into being, but as it does this, it has knowledge of every part of that creation, with that knowledge this being puts that object into being, as if thought, sound and the darkness of nothingness came into one precise point resulting in the birth of something...

Ala Bing Bang...possibly.

So hats off to the Prophet of Doom for admitting this, at least he will be more kind to those who do believe in something.

edit on 25-2-2012 by old_god because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Professor or not I don't care what he believes in

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Why did the big bang form the universe and everything in it operated by the laws of physics.. and not an endless expanse of messy and chaotic energy? i mean did atoms have to form? are the geometric shapes default for any universe that accidently forms?

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Ugh all this arguing. You know why there is arguing? There is doubt. Christians are failing more and more every day, and its just plain disgusting. If I were to send fire down from heaven right now, you would believe wouldn't you?
People ask, are there miracles any more? They have the right to ask that question, cuz it SEEMS there's no more miracles any more. Why is this? Jesus said if you have faith as small as a muster-seed you can move mountains! Where has the faith gone? Also Christians seem to follow another god. One who asks nothing from them, and provides anything you ask for, whenever you want it.This is not God.
With these conditions I can guarantee you, there will be no more miracles(at least ones that could spark a revival). I have witnessed things that would convert someone immediately. Oh I wish you could see the things Ive seen! The things Ive experienced. I apologize to everyone for Christians not showing faith, and boldness(and all that judging too!)
I can sense a revival! It will start soon. But not till believers muster up their faith, and start living in the Spirit. My faith is small, but if we actually get together that faith will increase sevenfold! We are only on this earth to share, and SHOW the good news. So Christians...Lets move some mountains...

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
This isn't significant at all. Most atheists, including myself, don't rule out some kind of "creator." We just say no one can no for sure about ANYTHING unless there is proof and doubt can be a virtue, not a ticket to hell.

There's also a big difference between believing in a higher form of universal being, intelligence and order and believing in a guy with a white beard that sits on a throne who created the universe 6,000 years ago so he can cast most of mankind to hell, fire and brimstone for all of eternity, just because they questioned his hidden existence.

The only way you can believe in that God is through blind faith. And faith is dangerous because it blocks reason and leads to sheeple following false prophets and con men.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Dawkins is an incredible man with an incredible mind. If it's true that he's taking a more agnostic position and trying to put him in better terms with the various religions, then I must say that this was something I had hoped for. Closing one's self off from all possibilities and becoming an angered enemy of religion is not a very useful position at all. If he really wants to spread a logical, reasoning kind of thinkingg, he would be far better off doing so without the vitriolic hyperbole that he was known for before.

I think this isn't just a shift for Dawkins, but is a much larger sign of what's to come, something I've been expecting for a while now. The world is gradually becoming awakened, and I for one am happy Dawkins is joining us.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManjushriPrajna
Dawkins is an incredible man with an incredible mind. If it's true that he's taking a more agnostic position and trying to put him in better terms with the various religions, then I must say that this was something I had hoped for. Closing one's self off from all possibilities and becoming an angered enemy of religion is not a very useful position at all. If he really wants to spread a logical, reasoning kind of thinkingg, he would be far better off doing so without the vitriolic hyperbole that he was known for before.

I think this isn't just a shift for Dawkins, but is a much larger sign of what's to come, something I've been expecting for a while now. The world is gradually becoming awakened, and I for one am happy Dawkins is joining us.

This proves that you didn't understand a word he said. He's not changed his position one iota.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Has anyone considered the possibility that "our" God, may not be "The" God? I keep getting this nagging feeling that the "God" people might think of as "God" may not be the 'top gun.' Only superior to lesser Gods.....but still has a 'boss.'

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyingSpaghettiMonster

Oh hi there.

From what I read in the OP, I had assumed it meant what it said.

If it's true Dawkins hasn't changed his position, and is still acting like a grumpy old man who has a thorn in his side about religion, then this saddens me. A man with a mind like that could be helping the world in incredible ways.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManjushriPrajna

All the changes the earth will go through, one thing will never change. Mahalia Jackson's ghost permeating my soul through the music she left while alive! If you haven't heard the song that she sings halfway through this scene, I'd HIGHLY suggest it.

edit on 25-2-2012 by FinalAccount2008 because: Posted the video above and below text;had to delete!

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by EasyPleaseMe
Just like Pascal, he's hedging his bets

I think he is adjusting his stance to become friendlier to the religious communities. He has become a hate figure for a lot of the more fundamental groups and probably contributed greatly to these groups feeling they are under constant attack from 'atheists' who, in my experience, couldn't care less what other people believe.

Well written post by the way OP.
edit on 24-2-2012 by EasyPleaseMe because: (no reason given)

I don't know if I'd consider this hedging bets. Anybody who is a non theist knows with certainty that we cannot be certain of the unprovable.

It's unlikely there is a "Creator" however, it's impossible to disprove somethings existence, while it's possible to prove somethings existence.

This leads to uncertainty, despite all logic.

I.E.

The burden of proof is on the accuser. If you say god exists, in order to be vindicated in your accusation you would need empirical and tangible evidence that said god really does exist.

Where as if you just made it up, there is no way to disprove it.

That's what Dawkins means when he says he's 6.9 out of 7 in his belief.

Atheist vs Agnostic is no different other than Agnostics take note of the fact that they cannot prove a negative.

That is all, the only difference.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I guess the same way that any religeous person cant claim God definatley exists

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Look, Dawkins isn't about to switch teams. He's just moving from an illogical, indefensible position to one that is logical. No one can claim "God doesn't exist!", the most a person can claim is "To the best of my limited knowledge God doesn't exist."

Ha ha, of course the guy with a big christian cross on his avatar says he's moving to a more logical position. Apparently "logical" means more in line with his religious beliefs and not.. you know? making sense.

I can agree with you somewhat, but the way you write stinks of trickery.
edit on 25-2-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join