It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure God does not exist

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure God does not exist

www.telegraph.co.uk

He is regarded as the most famous atheist in the world but last night Professor Richard Dawkins admitted he could not be sure that God does not exist.

There was surprise when Prof Dawkins acknowledged that he was less than 100 per cent certain of his conviction that there is no creator. An incredulous Sir Anthony replied: “You are described as the world’s most famous atheist.” Prof Dawkins said that he was “6.9 out of seven” sure of his beliefs.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Well this is an interesting development and significant in several ways.

Dawkins has long been what some might consider an "aggressive athiest," using his public position to argue heatedly and pointedly against religion. So when he qualifies what was previously a very staunch and hardline view in this way, it is significant, given his self-embraced "king of the athiests" role.

Note that he is not claiming some sea-change in his belief...he is simply admitting uncertainty. This is noteworthy even so, because he had never done so before, and also because he had embraced the "athiest" label with relish. Now he wants to be considered an agnostic. That is a huge shift.

I enjoyed the two books by Dawkins that I have read - The Selfish Gene and River Out of Eden. As popular science works, they presented complex ideas in a way that was easy for me to understand while remaining profound.

At the same time, I have never been comfortable with his hardline athiest standpoint, and I believe his attack on religion is based on a faulty and reductionist misunderstanding of what religion, etc. is. To admit doubt strikes me as more rational from a scientific perspective, while this will also be positive news for people of faith who are growing weary of the ever-increasingly-strident assaults on religion from aggressive athiests.

www.telegraph.co.uk

edit on 2/24/12 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Just like Pascal, he's hedging his bets

I think he is adjusting his stance to become friendlier to the religious communities. He has become a hate figure for a lot of the more fundamental groups and probably contributed greatly to these groups feeling they are under constant attack from 'atheists' who, in my experience, couldn't care less what other people believe.

Well written post by the way OP.
edit on 24-2-2012 by EasyPleaseMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

This is interesting! I agree that it is a true sense of humility being that he knows that he cannot know for sure, because there is no way to prove 100% either way... I believe that he isn't necessarily changing what he has always "preached" about at all; rather, being honest with himself and his peers about the fact that there is no 100% in this case.

Thanks!

+14 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Hes doing a copout. I am 100% sure god exists. Why can't he be sure of his beliefs. He is a hypocrite. Anyone can say you can't be 100% sure and when proof is discovered say well I didn't say 100%. He is only a biologist and does not know anything about physics, quantum theory, general relativity, cosmology, etc..

+16 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
The rational approach would be to accept that we can never be 100% certain - though i've yet to find a practising Christian who would even entertain the notion or remote possibility that there may not be a god....

+75 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

It's not a cop out - it's rationality, logic and humility.

One cannot be sure if a god exists and cannot be sure one does.

To assume otherwise is delusion.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
He must be terminally ill or something.

He wants to make sure he gets a fair trial

+35 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
I am 100% sure god exists.

Opinion

He is only a biologist and does not know anything about physics, quantum theory, general relativity, cosmology, etc..

And what degrees do you hold in any of those fields?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Am I really the only one who thought,

"Who the Hell is Richard Dawkins?"

sounds like a rip off of Stephen Hawkins.

Either way.. I can't be sure god does exist or does not exists either... but I dont get a Breaking News thread...

+38 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Technically speaking I think everyone should be agnostic, as no one can be 100% sure of anything.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Heheh...That's how it starts.

Richardo is coming around. Brings to mind the brilliant Antony Flew.

Flew was a strong advocate of atheism, arguing that one should presuppose atheism until empirical evidence of a God surfaces. He also criticised the idea of life after death,[3] the free will defence to the problem of evil, and the meaningfulness of the concept of God.[4] However, in 2004 he stated an allegiance to deism, more specifically a belief in the Aristotelian God, stating that in keeping his lifelong commitment to go where the evidence leads, he now believes in the existence of God.en.wikipedia.org...

Attn Mr. Dawkins: I suggest performing the following exercise in front of your mirror in the morning. First, give yourself an encouraging smile and then state a few times, "If Flew can do it, I can too, If Flew can do it, I can too, If Flew can do it, I can too!"

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by reaxi0n

I hold a degree in physics thank you very much

+32 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I asked what degrees you hold. Simply "A degree" does not answer this. I would also like to know what university this 'degree' came from where faith trumps logic.

And how does physics play into a 100% certainty of god, or the existence of god what so ever? Physicists deal with empirical data. If you held any degree in any science, you would know this. There is no room for faith in science, that's why they are separate. One uses logic, the other does not.
edit on 2-24-12 by reaxi0n because: added stuff

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthinfact

sounds like a rip off of Stephen Hawkins.

Either way.. I can't be sure god does exist or does not exists either... but I dont get a Breaking News thread...

My first thought was;

Where does HE tend bar ?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthinfact

Err, yes to be honest. Funny Though

edit on 24-2-2012 by EasyPleaseMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by EasyPleaseMe

I am American, I read the article yeah yeah. I can tell you most Americans have never heard of this guy.

Welp. Sorry atheist friends. Your leader came out of the closet.... so to speak.
edit on 2/24/2012 by truthinfact because: (no reason given)

PS. "Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure you Exist"

edit on 2/24/2012 by truthinfact because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by truthinfact

I'm American too and I knew who Richard Dawkins is. It just depends what circles you run in and what interests you. I am into theology, philosophy and things of that sort and Dawkins pops up all the time.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
It makes sense to me. One can have faith and believe in Source and Creator(s), or one can try to reason past all the coincidences and signs they will have already received to pay attention to something more than nuts and bolts, for life is highly interactive. But athiesm, proclaiming one knows this is not anywhere near as honest a state of being as agnosticism, which is recognizing that no one can truly be a materialist. For those who do know its often memories, experiences, oobe's and nde's. So they know for a reason, but saying its not true, for just a stubborn persistent belief system isn't logical, its not even being honest.

edit on 24-2-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ComeFindMe

You've met your first one right here then.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join