It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Actor Robbins Says US Now Viewed as 'Rogue State'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2003 @ 12:12 PM
link   
"Actor Robbins Says US Now Viewed as 'Rogue State'
By Jeff Johnson
CNSNews.com Congressional Bureau Chief
April 16, 2003
Capitol Hill (CNSNews.com) - Actor and anti-war activist Tim Robbins
said Tuesday that "it is time to get angry" over the Bush
administration's alleged reprisals against opponents of the war.
Robbins told an audience at the National Press Club that the Bush
administration has taken advantage of the American people and squandered
the good will the world had recently developed toward the U.S.
"In the 19 months since 9/11, we have seen our democracy compromised by
fear and hatred," he claimed. "Basic inalienable rights, due process,
the sanctity of the home have been quickly compromised in a climate of
fear.
"
www.cnsnews.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2003 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Tim Robbins is???

I know who he is, he's the boyfriend of Susan Sarandon, was in a few straight to video obscure movies (my favorite was Nothing to Lose...), but I really doubt that many have even heard of this guy, lol!

posted on Apr, 18 2003 @ 08:12 AM
link   
"was in a few straight to video obscure movies"

nominated for seven Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Actor (Morgan Freeman), Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Editing, Best Original Score, and Best Sound.

Hardly obscure!

posted on Apr, 18 2003 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I suspect that if we contact these actors they may find our activities on ats related. Although I'm not sure if I am comfortable with an actor financing a Patriotic peoples movement for the whitehouse. I think I'm going to send a email...hope this isnt a hollywood ploy for a new movie!

posted on Apr, 18 2003 @ 03:13 PM
link   
i was thinking the same thing Cargo...Shawshank Redemption is one of my favorites...but other than that i don't think Tim has done much of note. Still, I have to agree with him...and we can scatch actor from the headline and put american cause being an actor doesn't matter. he's has right to his opinion.

to quote what was posted here..."In the 19 months since 9/11, we have seen our democracy compromised by
fear and hatred."
"Basic inalienable rights, due process,
the sanctity of the home have been quickly compromised in a climate of
fear. "

true.

posted on Apr, 18 2003 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Perhaps if those of us here on ATS send emails, this maybe whats needed to build a retinue of like minded people. After all I for one still value the Bill of Rights. Hope he replies.

Heres a WILD link I found:

www.marchonhollywood.com...

[Edited on 18-4-2003 by ADVISOR]

This one is very interesting:

www.democraticunderground.com...

[Edited on 18-4-2003 by ADVISOR]

posted on Apr, 18 2003 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Wasn't Tim Robbins the actor in Nothing to Lose?

Funny movie,

AF1

posted on Apr, 18 2003 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Tim Robbins is upset because the Baseball Hall of Fame wouldn't let him come to speak on the Anniversary of some baseball movie he was in, due to his anti-war stance, and claims prejudice because of his views.

posted on Apr, 18 2003 @ 04:38 PM
link   
perhaps you may know where a link is that expresses that?

AF1

posted on Apr, 18 2003 @ 04:49 PM
link   
uk.news.yahoo.com...

All right there.

posted on Apr, 18 2003 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Ok, thanks for the link.
Robbins and Sarandon are among the most visible Hollywood stars to vocally oppose US President George W. Bush's attack on Iraq at a time when media speculation is rife over whether high-profile anti-war activists will be punished by Hollywood for views that some Americans feel are unpatriotic.

It sounds to me the Paparozy is haveing as much of a field day as Tim is. I don't disagree with his views. I don't entirely agree either. I was saying many on this board though may relate with him on his views. Even if a couple of us share simular opinions. He is still standing up for something just.

posted on Apr, 19 2003 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I disagree with his views (as if y'all didn't know this!
).

As far as I'm concerned, he and Saranwrap and the rest of them who run their mouths half-cocked and more against Bush than combat are exactly what they've been called.
If they want to pop off at the mouth, fine. I'd bet they're more ignorant of the facts than I am, judging by the ignorant things they've said, but because of their celebrity status they have a podium from which to speak. Great, use that podium, you mindless followers of blind ignorance, and I'll do my speaking back at you with my freedom to choose what movie or album I go see or buy. They aren't being supressed as they make it sound, they are just the recipients of a little message, and that message is that we all don't care about their views and now that we know they are not only idiots, but well over-paid idiots that are likely to donate a small portion of their overblown salaries to groups we don't like, we aren't going to support them. Its simple, people. They have a right to speak, although they have an unfair advantage of celebrity status, and I have the right not to support them.

The only one that I don't mind (that I've heard) is Mike Farrell. While I disagree with his reasoning, he seems to have actually educated himself to a great extent and he doesn't find the need for juvenile and baseless attacks (yes, I'm looking at you, Jennifer Aniston!). Not only would I go and watch a movie with Farrell in it, I'm much more likely to listen to and seriously try and understand his viewpoint.

posted on Apr, 19 2003 @ 01:42 AM
link   
We can but rejoice that in the nine years since "Shawshank" this paragon of modern creativity has not been idle and has devoted himself to the study of international geopolitics with such marvellous results.
We await his thoughts on the future of fiscal policy in Uruguay with bated breath.
Surely the time is now right for a complete overhaul of traditional categories: the Koh-lin and Kon-do Video Review Hour is long overdue.

posted on Apr, 19 2003 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Beyond that, short of arranging his untimely death -always the best career-move in the entertainment industry, Timothy has done all that can be done and is to be congratulated on his efforts at self-publicity.

posted on Apr, 19 2003 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Sir Estragon, you have been endowed with a tongue that is sharper than any sword and you wield it with the deftness the likes of which most only dream.

I would suggest you write editorials for the USA Today, but I fear most wouldn't catch your wit. Mark Twain would be very proud of you!

posted on Apr, 19 2003 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Shawshank Redemtion
The Hudsucker Proxy(did not do well at the box office,but critics LOVED it!!)
The Player
Bull Durham(many regard this as the best baseball movie ever)
He directed DEAD MAN WALKING which recieved alot of critical acclaim & got him a golden globe nomination & it won Susan an oscar!
Arlington Road

Sarandon & Robbins are heroes! The man who cancelled their appearances appologized & admitted he was wrong(which he was)The screening is back on by the way!

Clint Eastwood & Kevin Costner has stood by Robbins & Sarandon.

These two are true patriots!!!

posted on Apr, 28 2003 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Eerie silence in Hollywood as antiwar actors have quietly disappeared.

story.news.yahoo.com.../nm/20030427/ts_nm/iraq_hollywood_dc

posted on Apr, 28 2003 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I think he's a great actor. But i could care less what his take on politics is. He's welcome to to his opinion but what he wants is to speak for all of us and he isn't going to get that wish. In my opinion, most of the Hollywood crowd is somewhat detatched from common sense.

posted on Apr, 28 2003 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
Wasn't Tim Robbins the actor in Nothing to Lose?
Funny movie,

Nothing to lose... This movie with a white guy taking a black hustler hostage...

Anyway, he is right, USA are now seen as a Rogue country...

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
I disagree with his views (as if y'all didn't know this!
).

As far as I'm concerned, he and Saranwrap and the rest of them who run their mouths half-cocked and more against Bush than combat are exactly what they've been called.
If they want to pop off at the mouth, fine. I'd bet they're more ignorant of the facts than I am, judging by the ignorant things they've said, but because of their celebrity status they have a podium from which to speak. Great, use that podium, you mindless followers of blind ignorance, and I'll do my speaking back at you with my freedom to choose what movie or album I go see or buy. They aren't being supressed as they make it sound, they are just the recipients of a little message, and that message is that we all don't care about their views and now that we know they are not only idiots, but well over-paid idiots that are likely to donate a small portion of their overblown salaries to groups we don't like, we aren't going to support them. Its simple, people. They have a right to speak, although they have an unfair advantage of celebrity status, and I have the right not to support them.

Actually, I have found that the conservatives are the ones who refuse to acknowledge the "facts". I do find it more then a bit disturbing that you have a picture that leads me to believe you are in the service. To think America is being "protected" by thin-skulled political neophytes like you is most disturbing.

Tell me, oh wise and omnipotent master of American politics...can you tell this expatriate why America had to go to war in the first place?

Or perhaps why Bush said, and I quote,

"I will not allow any form of Muslim government in Iraq"

Gee...and I wonder why the vast majority of Iraq�s Shiite Muslim population has made it their goal to "re-liberate" their country by removing the "American menace".

Let's face facts here sir...You do not bear the credentials nor the intellect to debate this topic in a mature manner.

Now I know why I decided to teach in France. No wonder my mother always wanted to come back here. Such beautiful, intelligent, articulate, compassionate human beings. I could never step foot into the cesspool that is America. The 27 years I spent there was more then enough.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join