It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Vows to ‘Double Down’ on Green Investments Despite Solyndra and Volt Flop

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

To say that this source is a little biased would be somewhat of an understatement, to say the least. As "musicjunkie" clearly pointed out, one can just as easily find the exact opposite opinion from other sources.

Then let's get that info out in the open.

Even if it's from Sorcha Faal

Don't beat a dead horse.

Prove a few things.

A good comparison is in order.

Denial gets you nowhere fast.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Anytime that someone attempts to develop new technologies, there will be failures. As we all know, the Wright brothers didn't succeed on their first attempt, or their second or third for that matter. Furthermore, even oil drilling has had it's fair share of failures only to be improved over time as new technologies in the field arose. This is true for all new and emerging technologies and we should not abandon ship just because some things don't work out exactly as planned.

We should be exploring every avenue that will assist us in achieving sustainable energy independence. We have overcome emerging technology pitfalls in the past and we will do so again in the future. All I'm saying is, just don't be so quick to write something off as a failure just because it didn't fly on the first attempt. You know the old saying; "If as first you don't succeed, try, try again."

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish

Anytime that someone attempts to develop new technologies, there will be failures. As we all know, the Wright brothers didn't succeed on their first attempt, or their second or third for that matter. Furthermore, even oil drilling has had it's fair share of failures only to be improved over time as new technologies in the field arose. This is true for all new and emerging technologies and we should not abandon ship just because some things don't work out exactly as planned.

We should be exploring every avenue that will assist us in achieving sustainable energy independence. We have overcome emerging technology pitfalls in the past and we will do so again in the future. All I'm saying is, just don't be so quick to write something off as a failure just because it didn't fly on the first attempt. You know the old saying; "If as first you don't succeed, try, try again."

I agree.

BUT and I emphasize BUT

The corruption and temptations of swindling need to be weeded OUT.

And Fast.

Or it will never work.

The oil corporations have too much influence right now for anything to actually work.

You know that.

I say let private investors do all that.

Why do you think private money is tight on this issue anyway ?

They know who controls the markets.

We have people American citizens dying in the streets right now .... today !!

How can anyone possibly justify this insane giveaway !!!

Anyone who supports public money for failed projects has to be nuts.

"" You know the old saying; "If as first you don't succeed, try, try again." "" ....

well tell THAT to the guy who just died in the homeless shelter !!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Private investors aren't going to do that. It would be nice if they did so but they have no inclination to do so . For much the same reasons they do not invest in space exploration. The costs, failures, and length of time required to do so. I have little problem with the Government investing in emerging energy or technologies, but you are correct that there has to be a better of doing it than what they currently are doing.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
"Germany says solar energy is path to bankruptcy, yet Obama doubles US down on it"

Read more: www.irishcentral.com... xzz1nKH11Sy8

Germany invested gargantuan amounts of money in green energy, doling out more than 130 billion in subsidies to install solar systems and spends an additional 10 billion per year subsidizing existing solar installations. Yet after all of this capital expenditure, Germany has little to show in terms of reducing green house gasses and helping the country's power needs.

Despite massive investment, solar power accounts for approximately three percent of Germany’s total energy...When the sun shines! To add insult to injury, Germans also pay the second highest price for electricity in the developed world, due mainly to the fact that they are heavily subsidizing green energy by adding the cost to everyone's utility bills.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
"Germany says solar energy is path to bankruptcy, yet Obama doubles US down on it"

Read more: www.irishcentral.com... xzz1nKH11Sy8

Germany invested gargantuan amounts of money in green energy, doling out more than 130 billion in subsidies to install solar systems and spends an additional 10 billion per year subsidizing existing solar installations. Yet after all of this capital expenditure, Germany has little to show in terms of reducing green house gasses and helping the country's power needs.

Despite massive investment, solar power accounts for approximately three percent of Germany’s total energy...When the sun shines! To add insult to injury, Germans also pay the second highest price for electricity in the developed world, due mainly to the fact that they are heavily subsidizing green energy by adding the cost to everyone's utility bills.

Think how much oil they could've got for that money !!

That alone would've brought down the electric bills !!

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I'm not against clean energy, but our government needs to start using some common sense on the timing and costs involved.

It does not make sense to throw large sums of money at something that shows such little worth/value or a return on it's money at a time when THE GOVERNMENT IS BROKE!

It does not make sense to put a bunch of overpriced green products on the market for consumers when THE CONSUMERS ARE BROKE!

It does not make sense to try and change the way the whole world currently works when THE WHOLE WORLD IS FACING A GLOBAL FINANCIAL COLLAPSE!

I don't blame Obama for thinking that we need a return of manufacturing jobs to the U.S., but this clearly is NOT THE WAY! This is nothing more than a half-assed scheme to compete with China, where we have absolutely no chance of winning right now!

This clearly needs to wait until there's some kind of national/global financial resolve and growth already in place.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
In fact, I think everyone should take the time to read the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform's 34 page report on....

"How Obama's Green Energy Agenda is Killing Jobs", dated September 22, 2011:

oversight.house.gov...

When you read things like this:

President Obama relied on the false pretense that subsidizing “green energy” as other nations such as Spain, Germany and Japan did would result in “good, high-wage jobs” when in actuality, nations such as Spain, Italy, Denmark, Germany and the U.K. have struggled with job destruction, higher energy costs and loss of taxpayer dollars as a result of pursuing such policies.

You have to ask yourself, is this man stupid? Is this intentional? How could he know about the failures from all these other countries, see the failures that he's currently being blamed for already, and think that it's something he should expand??!! Is he nuts?

In my opinion, this can only be for one of two reasons.

One, he's being pushed by his campaign donors (primarily union thugs) in order to try and get re-elected while creating jobs specifically for them and their causes....

or

Two, he hates being President so much that's he's determined to piss off the nation in order to NOT be re-elected.

I haven't decided which extreme measure he's going for yet, but I'm leaning towards the latter.

EA: Maybe he's going for a combined option. Keep the union thugs happy while he's still in office so they don't go hit-man on him, but make sure the nation is pissed off enough that he doesn't get re-elected or ever have to worry about pleasing anyone EVER AGAIN!!!
edit on 24-2-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Just as I expected.

A group called the "Blue Green Alliance".

A group that's obviously leading Obama by the nose for whatever reason.

Maybe I should do some checking on these Board of Directors members to see if they belong to Boards of other green companies.

The Blue Green Alliance is a nonprofit, 501(c) (4) organization dedicated to expanding the number and quality of jobs in the green economy.

We combine the strength of our 14 million members and supporters to form a powerful voice for building a stronger, more efficient and more competitive American economy. We are working to create good jobs, improve health and safety at work, protect the health of the public and the environment, reduce our nation's dependence on foreign oil, and ensure America's leadership in the global economy.

Blue Green Alliance Board of Directors

Leo W. Gerard, International President, United Steelworkers,Co-chair
Michael Brune, Executive Director, Sierra Club, Co-chair
Larry Cohen, President, Communications Workers of America
Peter Lehner, Executive Director, Natural Resources Defense Council
Gerald Hudson, International Executive Vice President, Service Employees International Union
Joseph T. Hansen, International President, United Food and Commercial Workers
D. Michael Langford, National President, Utility Workers Union of America
Larry Schweiger, President and CEO, National Wildlife Federation
Lawrence J. Hanley, International President, Amalgamated Transit Union
Kevin Knobloch, President, Union of Concerned Scientists
Loretta Johnson, Secretary-Treasurer, American Federation of Teachers
Bob King, President, United Auto Workers
Phil Angelides, President, Riverview Capital Investment
Robert Borosage, Director, Campaign for America's Future
Mindy S. Lubber, JD, MBA, President, CERES

www.bluegreenalliance.org...

Better yet, I think I'll look each one of them up to see how much they personally have donated to Obama's past and current Presidential campaign.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

Good research

Now the agenda really starts to fit the name !

Green investments can only "generate" green money.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

I just knew union players had to be behind this. Look at the organizations that these Board of Directors come from.

There's no other reasonable explanation for moving forward with Obama's expanded plan.

All you have to do is look at the "heavy hitters" in the past Presidential elections.

The Service Employees International Union hits #5 on the list of all time heavy hitters from 1989 - 2012.

Let's see, Communications Workers of America are #14 of all time heavy hitters, United Food & Commercial Workers #17, United Auto Workers #18, United Steelworkers #58, need I go on? All of these unions are represented on the Board of Directors for Blue Green Alliance.

www.opensecrets.org...

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Well, it looks like Obama's administration at least recognizes it as a pipe dream for now too.

President Barack Obama’s administration is buying fewer hybrid and electric cars and more vehicles that can consume both ethanol and gasoline to meet 2015 environmental goals, favoring older technology over new.

Obama gave speeches across the U.S. last year touting his twin goals of buying only alternative-fuel vehicles for the U.S. fleet by 2015 and getting 1 million electric vehicles on the country’s roads by that year.

That’s looking more difficult as the federal government learns the same lesson that U.S. car consumers have already figured out: it is tough being green. Rather than leading the way, the government has discovered that the high cost of hybrids and electric cars and their lack of availability often mean it makes more sense to buy cars with fuel-efficient conventional engines.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join