It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disabled Bolivians clash with riot police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Disabled Bolivians clash with riot police

www.aljazeera.com

Protesters in Bolivia have clashed with police in the country's capital during a demonstration by disabled people demanding that the government pay them an annual subsidy.

A caravan of about 50 adults and children with disabilities, some using crutches, others in wheelchairs, arrived in La Paz on Thursday after a 100-day protest journey.

Clashes broke out outside parliament as crowds of protesters demanding access to the building pushed up against riot police.

At least four people were detained and the windshield of a police car was broken as the protesters banged on police shields.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I found this article both comedic and quite sad. Comedic tha triot police were used in such a situation and sad that riot police were needed in such a situation.

Anyway, it the government claims it has approved an anual 1,000 boliviano subsidy. Bolivia is a country with a deeply troubled economy. It is struggling, after decades of neo-liberal policies, spearheaded by the IMF.

www.aljazeera.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I can't see the "comedic" side of it at all. I see people standing up for themselves and their families.

I am glad to see people with disabilities fighting to be heard. All over the world people with disabilities get abused and treated like they're subhuman. The civil rights movement didn't quite do all it was meant to but things are finally changing now.

edit on 24-2-2012 by riley because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by LeLeu

Wow seriously? I can't believe people's attitude towards this.
Leleu did you even bother reading the story or is laughing your arse off more important?

They are human beings worthy of repect and dignity. What the hell are they supposed to do? They get discriminated against by default.. here they are actually empowering themselves and they STILL get laughed at.

edit on 24-2-2012 by riley because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

top topics

join