It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Spend $50 Million On Carp Fight

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Plugin

I believe our ecological system is in pretty good shape right now. Give or take a few glitches. If the asain carp were to hold in our systems they could potentially wipe out all other sport fish.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by crappiekat

Yea but that's just weird, why doesn't it happen in our waters with carp? Carp wasn't natural here as well.

You guys throw back catched bass for example? we throw back all fish basicly after catching them. Except some foreigners, mainly from Polen, will keep the fish (eat or sell them), and are a big reason (or rather the biggest reason) of some fish decline.
edit on 24-2-2012 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Plugin

I'm not affiated with the dnr. Nor do I have any degree in fish biology. What I do know is what I have been taught about envasis species, This species will eat everything. There will be nothing left for our sport fish that feed on the same food.
My husband and I live to fish. We try to be as careful as we can to keep our waters safe. We always wash our boat before and after we leave a body of water and go to another. We follow dnr rules. And we are CPR only.
We love the sport.
That is why I'm concerned about this money. Is it really for the fishery or is this money being filted through the system for other reasons. There are people who think this whole asain carp thing is nothing. I really don't know for sure. But believe me I am watching this story.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by crappiekat
reply to post by Plugin

I'm not affiated with the dnr. Nor do I have any degree in fish biology. What I do know is what I have been taught about envasis species, This species will eat everything. There will be nothing left for our sport fish that feed on the same food.
My husband and I live to fish. We try to be as careful as we can to keep our waters safe. We always wash our boat before and after we leave a body of water and go to another. We follow dnr rules. And we are CPR only.
We love the sport.
That is why I'm concerned about this money. Is it really for the fishery or is this money being filted through the system for other reasons. There are people who think this whole asain carp thing is nothing. I really don't know for sure. But believe me I am watching this story.

It's good for getting more votes at least

A woman that loves fishing, don't see that often

I think it's pretty impossible to kill all carp. Maybe find some ways to get more sportfish species back in the waters, we get more carp in our waters by some government programs, and they throw in lots of small carps of certain carp species. Maybe they should do the same thing in the US but then with fish you guys (sorry and girls) love.
There are allot of pikes over here, they eat little carp, pikes are common too in the US? Just saying if not, maybe introduce pikes, maybe you get less carp that way, not sure pike is the right fish but you get the picture..

Fish eagle's also eats carp.With warm weather carp will be allot on the surface so easy prey for eagle's.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Plugin

Very cool picture. I have seen bald eagles swoop down and eat fish just feet from our boat.

I have read articles where here in Illinios some have said asain crap are good to eat. Also because some of the food banks need food they are looking for hunters and fishermen to donate. I get where your coming from there. Its just another reason I am watching this closely. What is the government up to.???? Giving another food source should there be a problem in our area?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
It's not that these are carp.
It's because these are 'Asian' carp.
Asian carp kill off ALL other species of fish.

ALL OTHER SPECIES OF FISH!

In my opinion it should be open season on asian carp all year.
This should allow anyone to take part including those without fishing licenses.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by samkent

Ok, I'll agree that they need to be rid of. But with guns??? It just seems a bit much. I guess it depends on how they give out these permits.
I just can't help it, the thought of a bunch of guys with guns in boats on the river just gives me a goofey feeling

I will say again, we need to be watching the money on this one.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by samkent

Okay, those asian carp could be a big problem, but I'm sure normal carp get the same treatment?
At least when watching youtube or liveleak video's, I seem them mostly hunting normal carp (with spears and so on), not asian carp.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
We do have other species of Carp. But they are not like the Asain Carp. The other posters are right. This particular species is just too evasive. They are verocious. They will kill off our fisheries here. The fact they are confronting the problem is a good thing. The amount of money, I question.
This may seem to be such a small problem. If they don't do this right, It will be a major problem.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by reaxi0n
reply to post by Plugin

Lmao yes shotguns

I don't know. They seem pretty tricky to kill. A shotgun seems like the best bet

Yes, not only will the shotgun effort be futile and unsuccessful but you'll also pollute the river with lead and heavy metals, definitely the best bet.

There's nothing that can be done.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by RadioactiveRob

reply to post by Plugin

Lmao yes shotguns

I don't know. They seem pretty tricky to kill. A shotgun seems like the best bet

Yes, not only will the shotgun effort be futile and unsuccessful but you'll also pollute the river with lead and heavy metals, definitely the best bet.

The bill says it only allows a certain type of ammunition, but I'm not sure what it is. So you may be wrong on that one.

I also think you'd be wrong on a shotgun not killing anything. That's illogical.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

reply to post by Plugin

Lmao yes shotguns

The bill says it only allows a certain type of ammunition, but I'm not sure what it is. So you may be wrong on that one.

I also think you'd be wrong on a shotgun not killing anything. That's illogical.

I'm not trying to put you on the defense or anything but I don't know how successful they'll be trying to kill every asian carp in the river with shotguns, sounds kinda like the war on terror the endless war you can never win.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

reply to post by Plugin

Lmao yes shotguns

I'm not trying to put you on the defense or anything but I don't know how successful they'll be trying to kill every asian carp in the river with shotguns, sounds kinda like the war on terror the endless war you can never win.

I'm not defensive my man I just didn't understand what you were saying.

Yeah, killing all the carp doesn't seem likely. I just thought you meant killing any carp with shotguns wouldn't work.

That seems like a reasonable comparison

But hey, there's obviously nothing better for that $50 million to go towards

edit on 2-24-12 by reaxi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Are they spending the 50m on shotguns and shells? What exactly costs 50 million?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Are they spending the 50m on shotguns and shells? What exactly costs 50 million?

Good question....I'm not sure myself. I guess some kind of "testing" to see if they've reached the Great Lakes (don't know what that means,) and some sort of protective measures or something.

How that equates to 50 mill? No idea....the government is great at blowing money

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by RadioactiveRob

There is some sort of electrical barrier near where the Chicago sewage and shipping canal enters the river system. A lot of work has gone on there, but I don't think they have it working correctly. the only other option is to close off the canal and fill it in.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by crappiekat

guns? you think so small. i move for a tactical nuclear strike on the great lakes...to save the great lakes.

FIRE ZE MISSILEZ!!!!

*sarcasm*

using shotguns seems like fun, though that will be a lot of lead in the water and i fear carelessness will lead to mishaps. bullets can bounce on water just like skipping a stone, and i'm worried that in the heat of the moment, unsafe shots will be taken that could end with people and boats being hit.

these asian carps seem like a real problem, and if they're threatening a 7 billion dollar industry, 50 million doesn't seem like much to spend, provided that it is used effectively and not wasted.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
A 7 billion dollar industry. The economy thats FAKE anyway.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Honestly, assuming the money is actually spent fighting these asian carp, its something I could easily support. The damn things are threatening to completely overtake our waterways and destroy native fish populations. At the very least, they need to be controlled, if not wiped out altogether, and this really seems as though it would be a worthwhile expenditure of money if there's a good chance it could produce some results.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

Oh my gosh, every time I think of it I start to laugh

But yes, seriously, that could be a tragedy waiting to happen. And I agree that this is a situation that needs to be addressed. As long as the money is spent properly. And thats where I get nervous. I would like to talk with the people on this committee and find out exactly how this money will be spent. I know they say their going to do tests. What tests?? What is there plan of action?? Just like with the permits for shooting them. OK so your going to have to use special bullets. But who is going to get these permits for shooting. And how many are they going to issue. I have alot of questions. I will be watching and digging into this story for sure.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join