It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Spend $50 Million On Carp Fight

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
That's to fight the Asian Carp invasion to the Great Lakes.

It seems those things are pesky bastards and they could be trouble.

This may be one expenditure worth some money.
(although $50 million may be high considering the possible gouging by studies and consultants, etc.)

The Obama administration will spend about $50 million this year on protecting the Great Lakes from greedy Asian carp, including first-time testing to see if the fish have reached Lakes Michigan and Erie.

Federal officials tell The Associated Press the government has updated its strategy for battling bighead and silver carp that have infested the Mississippi River watershed and are closing in on the Great Lakes.

Scientists say if the carp take hold in the lakes, they could threaten the $7 billion fishing industry by gobbling up plankton at the base of the food web.

Among new initiatives will be searching southern Lake Michigan and western Lake Erie for signs of carp DNA.

Also planned is stepped-up trapping and netting to remove Asian carp from tributary rivers.

Holy Carp !

Here are some videos:

Youtube caption:
Mark Kirby pilots the boat as Brendan Kearns shoots video of an enormous amount of Asian (Silver) Carp jumping along the boat.

While Asian Carp are often seen in the wake of boats traversing the river, this was a sight not reportedly seen before.

Youtube caption:
Theyre coming. We should probably figure out something to do with them.
(shows a frozen dinner of Asian Carp)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I agree that these species getting into the great lakes is a serious problem. But that seems like alot of money.

I,d like to be on that committee to see where every penny of that money goes.
edit on 24-2-2012 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
We love carp in Holland.
Long fights with your rod.

They aren't considered harmfull over here.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
In Illinois we have bill HB5317 going through the House to legalize the shooting of these bastards with shotguns in the Illinois River

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Plugin

Oh yes, they are a good fight. We've had alot of fun catching some big ones. But here they would just totally destroy our fishery.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by reaxi0n

Shotguns? there must be smarter ways..

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by crappiekat

It's proven? We got carp and other fish are here still plentyfull.
Other fish are there just as plentyfull, the reason why I don't know, maybe pikes will kill enough small carp maybe.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Plugin

Lmao yes shotguns

I don't know. They seem pretty tricky to kill. A shotgun seems like the best bet

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by reaxi0n

Thank you Jesus, we don't fish the Ill river. What a sight that could be. Imagine

They all better not show up on the same day and place.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   

I cracked up when I saw it on the news last week.

I can only imagine the number of people going out there to blast away some fish

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

We use them for fertiliser...

Smells terrible but the plants love it!

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Do any of you Illinois guys know if those things have gotten into the Fox River ?

And maybe the Chain-O-Lakes north of the City ?

Many years ago I had relatives up there, and we would fish Grass Lake and all the connecting lakes.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Plugin

Its about what they eat and how they feed. My understanding is they are very veracios eatters. And they reproduce quickly because nothing really goes after them. I don't have any information to link at this time. I'm quake chasing right know.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   

I'm pretty sure they aren't in the Fox. I wasn't sure at first so I looked it up and came across this page with a discussion.

www.chicagolandfishing.com...

There is Dayton Dam, Dam at Geneva, St. Charles, South Elgin, Carpentersville, Algonquin. If they get above this one they can get through the locks and be in the Chain easily. Jst wait and go up as the locks open. I probably missed one Damn in there somewhere too.

Here is a picture of the dayton dam..

[picture at the link]

This is during one of the largest spring floods in 07' - They are not jumping over that thing anytime soon

ETA: oops looks like it's from 2010. Stupid me.

Nonetheless, there's still nothing on the carp in the Fox as far as I've found.

edit on 2-24-12 by reaxi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by reaxi0n

Thanks for the update.

I know where the dam in the pic is.

I havn't been around there for quite a few years.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

You're welcome. I edited the post because I made a dumb mistake lol

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Oh Yea! In 2010 Someone caught a giant in Ottawa where the Fox river and the Ill. meet. It's quite the conversation up here. You hear about rumors of guys catching them on the chain. But I've never seen one or known anyone who has any real proof that the've really been caught.

We have caught them down south. We have different species of carp up here. I have never seen one up here. I was on another site just know asking if anyone had any info on any real catch. The answer was neg. However, a guy who I know who is DNR posted "It;s just a matter of time."

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Well at least Ottawa is 70 miles or so from the Chain.
(if I remember right)

Good luck with the bastards.

Hope some nut doesn't get any bright ideas and pulls off a prank...

Like letting a few loose in Fox Lake

edit on Feb-24-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Yea, It's too bad we have to take those kind of things into consideration. I like a good laugh too, but if they really get hold it would be a really sad thing.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
What about, just a theory; bass fishing is loved in the US right? I guess people would get furious if people would kill bass as carp?

And there are less bass each year because as they think it's because of the carp?

You guys throw bass back? I mean wouldn't that a bigger reason for less bass maybe?

We got carp and plenty of bass in the same waters (not exactly the same bass though). The government here even throws in little carp often in rivers, when there isn't enough from some species.
edit on 24-2-2012 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3 >>

join