It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the use of Religion for personal or political gain or the like.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   
An irritation I have is this use of Religion to change the way people live as a whole.

It is sickening that the use of god is being thrown around to change things. Such as abortion. As well as Same-sex marriage. Why is it that we need a law agianst these things. Maybe your Pro-Choice, maybe your Pro-Life, maybe your straight, maybe your homosexual, maybe you dont mind, maybe your homophobic. But should people be charged to prison for these acts ...Why because god told us its a sinful act to have abortions? If so why not birth control..its sinful in Catholisism. Why should it be banned and our consitution be changed because the man in charge has a god that believes its sinful to carry out specific actions. Is it really that wrong for a man to marry another man, or woman to marry another woman, is it not their choice? (I myself am not homosexual but how is it going to hurt me how another individual carries out their life).
Put aside your personal feelings toward such things. If laws should be made because the bible said it was wrong and a portion of the population thinks it wrong as well.

*Should you be fined or inprisoned because you had premarital sex.
*Should you be fined or inprisoned because you took birth control.
*Should you be fined or inprisoned because you do not respect an abusive mother and father.
*Should you be fined or inprisoned because you ate to much and are obese.
*Should you be fined or inprisoned because you think you are truely beautiful.
*Should you be fined or inprisoned because you are jealous of someone who now is with you Ex whom you still love.
*Should you be fined or inprisoned because you lust for someone.

I could go on and on and I imagine you have already wished me to stop but is my point here shown.

What about the people who have their own beliefs. Are we not in a country that was based and fought for to believe in whatever you wish to believe. Why should an individual be punished because they are commiting a so-called possible crime such as Abortion (thier own choice not the lawmakers and preachers) and marrying someone of their own sex (also their choice) among many others. Something that is not hurting you directly. Why because an invisible being said so? Our own country was created on the thought that we should believe in what we want to believe and separate our powers that be (government in this comment) from an individual power that be (invisible being in this comment)

Also why is it that our leader(s) when on the way to War speak of "God is with us"? Is he not in some similar or different form with the others whom we are fighting? Is it that our god will smite that of anothers? How can a God be with you on a war on another against their own god which is also the god of many of the people that you are leading into battle which will be against their own god? In some form or spiritual fashion. Well Hell I am getting into a confusing rant and its late. I shall Digress and move on.

[edit on 9/19/2004 by unknown_artist]

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 01:11 AM
link   
You have a very good point there , Leaders do use the word God so much that they overkill it, It kinda gets annoying that they keep saying "In God we trust" or "God Be with us" since you hear it all the time. Makes you wonder if they can't think up some thing really fast they will just say some thing with god in it.

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I think the reason so many political figureheads use, or attempt to use, religion as a means of political gain is that they see a trend by the American populace as a general number to be religious (or at least claiming a religion) and they then assume, again, based on polling data and focus groups, that this religious majority is christian. This springs from an apparent perceived notion that the history of this country was and is largely determined by people and leaders who believe in the Christian God and attempt to frame their thought processes and decision making within the framework of that value system. The sad thing is that this has become a means for political gain, and they think that by exploiting an assumed given focal point or soft spot, if you will, of the general populace they can somehow effect a swing of the electorate in their favor. What they fail to realise is that those among the general populace that are religious have, in general, a predetermined view of how they are going to vote, no matter what the other candidate says. This produces a 'glazing of the eyes and ears' when they hear a political figure throwing about religious themes and terms in an attempt to sway their opinion, and, more recently, has effected change of some portions of the group toward third party candidates who do not cling to religious fervor as their stump speech fodder. Good job guys!

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Religion was invented for controlling the masses.

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Why the use of Religion for personal or political gain or the like.
Religion is the easiest way to brainwash people and suppress there personal freedoms. Let me give a example (mayabe not a good one.) If some people thought that god said it was a sin to wear clothes then those people would protest naked and despise the people whose to live there life wearing clothes.

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by masterp
Religion was invented for controlling the masses.

My thoughts EXACTLY.

top topics

join