It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help PLEASE upgrading my pc

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Ok heres the things im thinking of getting im open to suggestions on things that could be better or just asgood in comparison but cheaper

www.amazon.co.uk...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330881157&sr=8-1

www.amazon.co.uk...=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1330556609&sr=1-2

www.amazon.co.uk...=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1330556194&sr=1-7

www.amazon.co.uk...=pd_bxgy_computers_text_b

And this is the PSU i was thinking about buying if its good enough.

www.amazon.co.uk...=sr_1_21?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1330895448&sr=1-21

BTW how do AMD phenom x4 core's match up to bulldozers and the i5-2500k? if its asgood it would be cheap alternative for me becouse my dads looks pretty good and to be honest ive never used a pc that runs to quickly
edit on 4-3-2012 by LvSLoLo because: addition

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Ive just foundout what motherboard im using atm its a

www.amazon.co.uk...=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1330903451&sr=8-12

I dont understand how it costs so much it was £107 when i bought it i think

Could it be worth keeping or is it out dated?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

Everything there looks good other than the PSU. Stick with a company like Corsair and you will be fine.
Link 1
Link 2
Lin k 3

There are some other quality PSUs out there, but this will make it easy for you. Though the HX and AX are modular, these are excellent power supplies that will last you the next several of your computer builds (unless, of course, they change the ATX standard).

Your old board seems to be a semi-decent OEM style AMD board for its time. However, with being OEM, and only having 6 channel sound (amongst other things) the board will not be of much value in the general market. That doesnt mean no one will buy it, but might have better luck making a computer for a loved one with the parts instead

Remember too, always always always shop around and look for deals. Always! Unless you dont care about saving money
But frequently, there are also MIR (mail in rebates) and such. A recent example was 4gbx2 DDR3 RAM (pretty much what you have there) for $15us after mail in rebate. There are almost always deals too.

edit: and your old board is so expensive because they are ripping people off

edit on 4-3-2012 by sinohptik because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
damn those PSU's aint cheap are they i was hoping to save some money there to buy gaming mouse and few games. Howlong do you think a AMD phenom x4 3.40Ghz would last me for gaming? ive found them for between £124 and £135 and from reviews they seem good even with BF3 but i dont want to buy it if it will be useless in 6 month to 2 years time
edit on 4-3-2012 by LvSLoLo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

No, they arent cheap. The PSU is, literally, the last place you want to "save" money.

Any halfway modern CPU will be relevant for a bit. However, right now is one of the lowest price per performance cycles I have seen in a long time (HDD's excluded, and GPU's partially excluded). I would just wait a bit on the games and gaming mouse and get the better computer. Or save up a bit longer and get the better computer and the games/mouse.

If you get AMD, make sure the motherboard supports AM3+ though.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Ya thats what i was asking about the AMD Phenom II X6 1055T for its basicaly £30 cheaper and the motherboard will be another £25-£30 cheaper that i can put towards the PSU or GPU but i dont know howlong it will be untill the phenom is useless what do you think? i mean anything is better than the setup i have now and ive been looking at video's of systems like this set up and from what i can see they look pretty damn good what do you think? in the future i can always upgrade again i just need a starting point

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

The PII is still a good chip. Game wise, you probably wouldnt even notice a difference between it and any of the Bulldozer chips.

If the choice is between the Intel platform and a cheap PSU, or the AMD platform and a quality PSU, then I would go AMD all the way. AMD is a good platform, its just that the Intel's perform better. If you can spend more money on the system, then you do generally get what you pay for with Intel. Im not going to make a specific suggestion because it is priced in a way that makes it mostly personal preference. You will be very happy with either platform.

The overclock world record was broken by AMD's Bulldozer series:

edit on 4-3-2012 by sinohptik because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Lol well im back to square 1 then, if YOU had to choose between the AMD 6100 X6 Core Bulldozer or the AMD Phenom II X4 or X6 what would you choose?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

Well, Bulldozer isnt seeing the expected gains, but is supposed to be fixed with a patch (to the tune of ~8% overall performance increase). They are not necessarily outperforming the phenom IIs of last generation, but are seeing higher overclocks than the phenoms. Price wise, this has kept the older Phenoms at a premium. The BD isnt selling as well as they had hoped, it would appear.

The 6100 seems to be priced accordingly. That is what I would go with for AMD.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by sinohptik

Ok thanks for all ur help man ur a star
ill order this stuff when i get paid wich is hopefully tomorrow

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Ok bet im starting to annoy you now lol but got 1 more thing to ask, would you choose a GTX 560Ti, HIS HD 6950 or HIS HD 6970? i dont know the performance diffirence between the 3

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by LvSLoLo
Ok bet im starting to annoy you now lol but got 1 more thing to ask, would you choose a GTX 560Ti, HIS HD 6950 or HIS HD 6970? i dont know the performance diffirence between the 3

Its no worry

Well, the comparison between these three is a bit like comparing any other AMD/Nvidia cards. The GTX runs hotter, uses more power, and generally costs a bit more (at least on this side of the pond). However, Nvidia drivers tend to be better.

Between all of those, the 69XX series are some serious cards. They pump out great performance at relatively low power consumption. All of these cards have excellent scaling when it comes to adding more GPUs as well.

I would get one of the 69XX series, but bluntly, Im an AMD GPU fanboy
Any and all of them will give you the performance you are looking for, though if you can get a good deal on a 6970, you should be golden!

edit: There are some who can "unlock" their 6950 to a 6970, so that is something to keep in mind. But I honestly wouldnt mess with it unless you really know what you are doing!
edit on 5-3-2012 by sinohptik because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Ok thanks
last question, what would you choose out of these 2?

www.ebuyer.com...

www.ebuyer.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

Generally the only difference between companies are going to be the cooler and their warranty.

With that being said, XFX offers a double lifetime warranty and is the one I would go with.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Ok ty somuch
hope this pc turns out asgood as i need it and asgood as the youtube video's...well some of them anyway most of the time the video's bad quality and dont tell the FPS btw do you play many games? was wondering if you know a good few racing RPG or shooting games i could get? and if you have ever used fraps or bandicam?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Damn i hate looking for pc parts...ive just checked around 6 websites on benchmark reviews for the 6970 and the GTX 560TI 448 and none of them make sence half of them say the 6970 is better in games and the other half say the 560TI 448 is...is there anyone that can make this simpler please? i want the best between the 2

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
What is the minimal SSD i should get?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Minimal suggested SSD would be 64gb (once again, for OS only really) but 128gb can be very useful (you can then put a few progs/games on there).

There really isnt a "best" GPU in the sense you are asking. Its not as straightforward as that. There are just too many variables. I stick with ATi (AMD) so that I support the competition for the processors I buy. Market wise, it doesnt make much of a difference, but I speak with my money.

You would be happy with the performance of either card! I am convinced benchmark sites exist only to confuse
Just remember that max FPS doesnt always show a "better" card.

As for racing stuff, its more simulation but try stuff made by SimBin and the game rFactor. RPGs are "standard" like Skyrim etc. Biggest difference is mods. You can also check out some of the F2P (free to play) mmos like Lord of the Rings Online. They actually put out a decent game there. FPS suggestion would first be Team Fortress 2. Theres a ton of games out there though... I enjoy FRAPS, never used bandicam.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Ok thanks man ill order a 64 SSD and i bought a gpu today

www.amazon.co.uk...=cm_cr_pr_product_top

i searched the web and i couldnt find 1 bad review about it so bought it

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by LvSLoLo
Ok thanks man ill order a 64 SSD and i bought a gpu today

www.amazon.co.uk...=cm_cr_pr_product_top

i searched the web and i couldnt find 1 bad review about it so bought it

Youll be happy with it

And remember, good and bad reviews are.. well, most people have no idea what they are doing in this field but like to talk with some sort of authority. Meaning, dont always trust reviews, even from "official" sources (benchmarks etc). This behavior exists all across the board too, not just computers

Enjoy your new PC!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join