It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STOP EATING DOLPHINS!!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Good point. But when we talk of killing them, it is from their natural environment.

In that I guess the argument is pointless.

So to bring up their captivity, in comparison of hunting them and entrapping them and then slaughtering them, is moot.

It just proves more to me that humans are barbaric in their endeavors.

Well, I can understand what you mean on a commercial fishing level, it is deeply wrong to slaughter animals like that in such huge numbers.
But for example a native Inuit would be justified in killing a whale or dolphin for his family to survive the winter.
Evolution has given us the skills to conquer all other animals, but the morals not too. On a biological level killing is a necessity for most animals because they need to eat; and in a modern society hunting animals is often some peoples only revenue to be able to eat. So while it is not the norm it is in itself a biological process, just one that has evolved from society.
Captivity is in no way natural and why it may be bearable for some animals. I cannot help but think it would be worse than death for whales and dolphins due to their vast intelligence and migratory behaviors.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnorantSpecies
reply to post by mainidh

Good point. But when we talk of killing them, it is from their natural environment.

In that I guess the argument is pointless.

So to bring up their captivity, in comparison of hunting them and entrapping them and then slaughtering them, is moot.

It just proves more to me that humans are barbaric in their endeavors.

Well, I can understand what you mean on a commercial fishing level, it is deeply wrong to slaughter animals like that in such huge numbers.
But for example a native Inuit would be justified in killing a whale or dolphin for his family to survive the winter.
Evolution has given us the skills to conquer all other animals, but the morals not too. On a biological level killing is a necessity for most animals because they need to eat; and in a modern society hunting animals is often some peoples only revenue to be able to eat. So while it is not the norm it is in itself a biological process, just one that has evolved from society.
Captivity is in no way natural and why it may be bearable for some animals. I cannot help but think it would be worse than death for whales and dolphins due to their vast intelligence and migratory behaviors.

You're not in disagreement with me at all, it seems. Nor I you. In both hunting and captivity arguments!

I will never believe in denying a tradition where it provides food for a people, nor will I ever endorse captivity for our enjoyment.

I was speaking more along the lines of mass slaughter of an animal beyond what is required, for profit.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - any man who kills his own food is not wrong. And I believe that 99% of society would not dare kill their own food. They rely on the market. That's where slaughter comes in to play.

Give joe teatowel a pig, and a knife. He'll scream about it, or be a useless butcher. we've long lost the ability to fend for ourselves, and this to me is a shame.

it's what makes the people I despise retort with "Oh so you don't eat meat then, hypocrite!" which is a useless and meaningless statement. I know what slaughtering an animals is. I don't need a steak in a plastic package to make me a man.

We are carnivores. We've eaten meat for a millenia. It's only recent that it's become so abundant that we think "Hey I'll try some near extinct animal, since I am so rich!"..

We don't need to eat things we dont need to eat. We have a plethora of animals as it is.

I just wish every person eating it was made to slaughter their own. then the barbarity of it all would cease..

not likely to happen, we're a consumer lot.. if you dont do it for me, I'll pay someone else to.

Ironically, the inuits and such that you mention, already know this.

edit on 24-2-2012 by mainidh because: Oh I see typos everywhere..

<< 1   >>

join