It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who are your heroes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I think looking at the archives this was last posted in 2003.

Hero
"A hero (heroine is usually used for females) (Ancient Greek: ἥρως, hḗrōs), in Greek mythology and folklore, was originally a demigod, their cult being one of the most distinctive features of ancient Greek religion.[1] Later, hero (male) and heroine (female) came to refer to characters who, in the face of danger and adversity or from a position of weakness, display courage and the will for self sacrifice—that is, heroism—for some greater good of all humanity. This definition originally referred to martial courage or excellence but extended to more general moral excellence.
Stories of heroism may serve as moral examples. In classical antiquity, hero cults that venerated deified heroes such as Heracles, Perseus, and Achilles played an important role in Ancient Greek religion. Politicians, ancient and modern, have employed hero worship for their own apotheosis (i.e., cult of personality)."

en.wikipedia.org...

On a recent thread I was told that my particular heroes should not be mentioned in the same breath. However, they are still heroes to me.

My heroes are related to times in my life:

1970s Charles Bronson the vigilante in Death Wish. Mohammed Ali the boxer who was also a jester.

1970s Clint Eastwood the protective "man with no name" who dealt with bullies in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

1980s Simon Le Bon from Duran Duran`s Rio video. Related to starting relationships with the girls.

1990s Bit of a lost decade for heroes?

2000s Ali G the fool who baffles the great and the good with his most imbecilic questions which are actually deceptively deep.

2010s Mario Balotelli the brilliantly skilled soccer player who laughs at himself and life when soccer is becoming increasingly serious.

My heroes may be described as mediocre, but to me they are heroes for one reason or another.

edit on 23-2-2012 by dr treg because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-2-2012 by dr treg because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

jimmy carter and guy fawkes

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
My hero was my grandfather. He knew stuff, a lot of stuff. Mathematician, magician, Vietnam war veteran turned spec ops. The guy was legendary. In the mainstream from the last century my hero was Bob Holness

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Everyone should have a hero. Sometimes it is helpful to have more than one.

I've always thought of Superman as my hero, but that is a bit cliche nd expected.

My dad and son are both heroes to me fr different reasons, my dad for raising me and always doing the seemingly impossible, and my son for showing me finally what life was all about. There are no words really t explain the impacts that they had on my life.

I also have a hero here on ATS.
You can see their profile here

As far as other walks of life....none that pop out immediately.

I'll edit or add as some come to mind...

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
My Hero/idol is John Wayne Parr, 9 times Muay Thai world champion:

He is one of the coolest bloke i have had the pleasure to meet. Very down to Earth and friendly!

edit on 23-2-2012 by daaskapital because: link

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

i am my OWN hero..

i do not look unto other mortals for inspiration, and worship..

i am compassionate, i understand, i listen, i am just, i am fair, i do not question, i have mercy,

i would never place my faith or hopes on ANY human, or mortal

aside from fictional characters i have not seen any human who isnt affected by the following..

greed

power

Jealousy

hatred

vengance

tirany

self preservation

lust

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

Do you realize that you have two copies of the same thread?
I just posted on one of them...now this

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Apologies for double post - not sure what went wrong in editing.

The music from your video link would be a great ATS anthem.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
For those that assume I hate all marines

My hero former marine and one of America's most wanted Charles Dyer

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

I want my sons' to build me a cabin like this one,
just a weee bigger.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Mine are Stalin and Ghandi.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

Roger Ramjet

2nd

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I'm sure that were we in the same room, my choice would be met with some pretty strange looks, a couple of laughs, some scoffing and some disdain.
And she's not really someone I consider to be a hero, but one whom I greatly admire.

Please don't laugh... but my choice is Kelly Osbourne.
I'm not saying this in a tween *OMGKellyO is like soooooo kewl!* way.
When she was younger, and she was a bit of a dick, taking drugs, getting trashed and being over weight, she reminded me a lot of me (minus the drug taking).
Then she cleaned herself up, lost weight, stopped taking drugs, stopped drinking, and made herself someone to be admired sheerly for the fact that sometimes, doing a complete 180' turn in your life is the hardest thing you can do.
You know, she works hard, I truly believe she has changed, and I can appreciate that in someone who took the time to better themselves as a person.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Hugh Heffner is my hero.

Seriously, this guy lives the life we've dreamed of ever since hitting puberty.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Jed Clampett... he has money but just as plain and simple a fella as you would ever want to meet... sincere, kind, generous, honest, rises early, works hard despite his fortunes, and self reliant... humble, loves animals and children, stands by his family and beliefs.

Unfortunately, I am more like a cross between Granny and Jethro... and if you have to ask who these fine people are... well, bless your heart.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
James Hetfield (the reason I wanted to become a musician)
Raven (the pro wrestler)
Jonathan Davis (for having the guts to sing about stuff that affected him in his younger days as well as now)

new topics

top topics

join