It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Kill Switch Comes to the PC

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

Agreed on all who said Ubuntu.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Vote with your money. Just don't ever buy the damned thing. They will get the hint when nobody buys it.
This cloud thing bothers me also. Everything in the world has been hacked. If the gov. wants my info, they are going to have to work for it and not just scan the clouds.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

This is acceptable. It's just fast-acting reverse for any hacking attempts on their own property.

There's nothing that wrong with it.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

I have copies of several versions of xp 64 and 32 bit slipstreamed with various useful programs already installed. wifi hack pack for using locked wifi. copies of several other os including win 98, ubuntu, and a couple diff mac Os plus of course 7. I think I'll do just fine without 8

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
For every system of control there is an exploit.

'DRM' has taught us that.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I bet we'll soon be using clusters of devices, some of them not connected to Internet at all, others only for browsing. So, they can kiss us where we want them to.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Yeah, dual boot, multiple hd's one for windows because there will be software you want and another like unbuntu for whatever you want private

really ups the need on learning curve which for me is a good thing I suppose because when this fails and everyone is using open source next motherboards will start having chips related to the bios and the very ability to use the motherboard which means you will one day need to be able to alter your mother board i guess

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
So it has already come to this... Linux will win in the end. All of us must have Linux in our lives after sometime. I'm planning to get Ubuntu or Arch.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

>>alive or just breathing

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Labdarex
So it has already come to this... Linux will win in the end. All of us must have Linux in our lives after sometime. I'm planning to get Ubuntu or Arch.

It's had 20 years to try to win the desktop and hasn't. I wouldn't hold my breath.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Oh learn to take a joke and take a chill pill for gods sake.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
apple is so brilliant, instead of selling there OS they want everyone to have an over priced white mac

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

I absolutely agree. When you add in the fact that it uses almost no memory and cpu load at idle, while the other ones use up to 2 gigs of ram just to sit there twiddling it's thumbs. Bloatware at it's most extreme if you ask me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and XP was always pretty stable as far as I know, and it will be a long time before it becomes obsolete (in an ideal world maybe), although I see Microsoft putting an end to that maybe. If their attitude towards Xbox peripherals is any indicator, (they stop making certain hard drives for them before they get cheap enough to be reasonable) than I would say that they really don't care what the customer wants, so I don't think they're gonna let XP coast for much longer. They probably will modify the file system on the next two generations of Windows and forward, so that certain programs, apps, etc. will only run on windows 8, 9 etc., thus killing XPs functionality, forcing obsolescence.
edit on 25/2/2012 by xXxinfidelxXx because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx
reply to post by VoidHawk

thus killing XPs functionality, forcing obsolescence.

Technology is always advancing. It isn't forced. We could all still be on Commodore 64's using dial up to connect to BBS's but we're not. Technology advancement is good.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by PharohGnosis

New technology is sometimes good. Engineered obsolescence is not. Are you another one of those people that doesn't see that the more advanced we become as a civilization, the stupider the general populace becomes? Seriously, think about it. Once upon a time, if you needed to figure out what 30+77 was, all you had was your noggin and maybe a pencil and paper. Nowadays, nobody that I know except me can actually do any basic math without using a calc. Then when you factor in "Smartphone" apps that do everything from order take out to pointing your hand to your toosh so you may properly wipe. Can you not see how having all of this technology to use as a crutch did not augment our abilities, but merely bypasses them altogether. Think about it, when I have a choice between a supremely stable, low system load OS and some shiny piece of crap bloatware that uses 2 gb of ram at idle, I think you know what my choice is gonna be. Once upon a time, products actually advanced in quality and refinement, but lately, it's a bit of a backward slide. What we are left with is overly taxing (performance-wise) software that is made that way to drive up sales of new computers, which are also built like crap these days. And yet, for all of these so-called advancements, I have but one question for you. Has the quality of our lives actually improved because of all of this new technology, or do we just use it as a crutch. I know from my experience, not only did the pace skyrocket, forcing people to struggle daily just to keep up, but now people cannot complete simple tasks like going to the grocery store without the aid of some sort of gadget, widget or app. The road that we are on right now is the road to dependency. A stupid, confused populace is easier to control, therefore TPTB go out of their way to make sure that that is exactly what exists. Technology could be used to better our lives, but instead it is being used as another way to keep us on the grindstone, fighting for every paycheck, while fattening the wallets of certain other groups and providing more multitudes of ways to spread social propaganda. One need only look at Twitter to see what I mean. Yes, certain tasks have gotten easier, but what we have lost in the process is far more valuable than knowing where the nearest Starbucks is at all times.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by xXxinfidelxXx

It has bettered our lives. Look at all the advancements in surgery due to technology.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Linux, freebsd. . . No kill switch

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by PharohGnosis

Still looking in the wrong places. That is surgery that 65% of Americans cannot have access to as they cannot afford it. I'm talking about quality of life for everyone, not just those born with a silver spoon where the sun doesn't shine. Technology has not improved our lives, it has only served as a crutch and a deflection from the truth. We still can't cure cancer (or can we?), but we can get Grandpa hard for hours on end. What a world we live in. Unfortunately, people like you will never see the truth as you are not exposed to it. What it would take for people like you to see it, would be to lose everything. Problem is, the truth cuts like obsidian. Also, as far as your whole surgery argument goes, you have no idea, obviously, what we are really capable of, and the problems that your so loved medical system has caused. We probably already know how to cure all sorts of ailments, but the hard truth is that it is far more profitable to treat the symptoms, than to cure the disease. That is why they have blanket treatments for everything now. That is why we have a whole bunch of kids running around who supposedly have ADD now. I'll bet you the Pharmacological corporation that supplies ADD meds made a killing off that one eh. The fact is, if it is more profitable to keep advancements under wraps, than that is what happens, regardless of how many lives could have been saved if said tech had been allowed to flourish. Some more food for thought.: Did you know that Nikola Tesla designed a system in the 20s that would allow everyone in the world to have free power, but the Rockefellers saw that it was impossible to meter such power and charge for it, as it would be transmitted without wires. Upon realising this, they pulled Tesla's funding and pretty much ruined him. Nikola Tesla died broke because of the system that you so love. Wake up.
edit on 26/2/2012 by xXxinfidelxXx because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by billybobrob

Yup u got that right. Plus when you take into account that if you need something, you just download it and if you don't want it, you don't get it. With Windows it's kind of a take it or leave it affair, but with Ubuntu, you download the "foundation" (if you will) for the OS and then download everything you want to add to it (fancy UI, toolbars, etc.). And the best thing about it, is if you take the same computer that will barely do anything with Windows, and put Linux on it, it runs like greased bloody lightning man. You can put an entire Ubuntu installation on a flash drive and run it on your buddy's computer too.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

Microsoft declined to answer questions about the kill switch in Windows 8 other than to say it will only be able to remove or change applications downloaded through the new app store. Any software loaded from a flash drive, DVD, or directly from the Web will remain outside Microsoft’s control. Still, the kill switch is a tool that could help Microsoft prevent mass malware infections. “For most users, the ability to remotely remove apps is a good thing,” says Charlie Miller, a researcher with the security company Accuvant.

Wait... WHAT?

Sounds like someone is blowing smoke up someone's ass.

... it will only be able to remove or change applications downloaded through the new app store...

Together with:

Still, the kill switch is a tool that could help Microsoft prevent mass malware infections.

Either they're lying, and it can remove anything from any where, OR M$ is planning ahead to distribute mass malware infections through their app store.

You decide. Either way, they're up to no good.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join