It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Kill Switch Comes to the PC

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
Where can you get XP these days? It sounds like it is time to downgrade. I am just about ready for a new laptop, but I already hated vista. 8 sounds like it is going to be even worse than vista.

If you have a local computer shop they could probably sell you an OEM copy in a carded sleeve which if i remember right is the cheapest form. That's if you want to buy it. My local guy stocks copies of XP because people still request it when he does custom builds.

I always knew there was a reason i never upgraded from my socket A system. Well, i really just spent all my computer money on tools but yeah
I'm happy with my old system.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I feel bad for people still running XP... You are not thinking clearly if you aren't running Windows 7.

W7 is an amazing, solid and fast OS over XP....

I love it. Windows 8 is not meant for PC's It's designed for tablets and mobile applications.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
The kill switch is important in Cyber Security. People do not understand , cyber warfare can turn into a LITERAL warfare. They can infect everything on your computer , the network , the internet.

There is literally strategies. There is Air support , Armored Support , Infantry Support , CAS - These kind of strategies are applied into Cyber warefare.

I read books constantly and i have recently read a book by a contractor who has been doing cyber security for the last 30 years. Let me get my Kindle .... "Cyber Warfare Techniqiues" by Jason Andress (several other co-aruthors).

It will open your eyes to just how advanced cyber warfare is , and just how far America is behind.

Cyber warfare - is literally a War in cyber space.

China and Russia are countering our technology by cyber war. They wont have to deal with our technology if it is infected now will they?

Public networks must be controlled because they connect to private industries. We could easily be sent to early 1800 hundred for 2 years if we lose a Cyber War (A literal War that can be declared by other nations).

It will completely collapse our economy and the worlds and your way of life. It is just as effective as an EMP strike - even more so regarding strategical advantage.

-----------

I know people don't like this , but i promise you. This is to help us believe it or not. Could it be used during a mass riot? Yes. Will it? I highly doubt it. Nearly every American is armed and regardless if the military tries to fight a mass rebellion the Military / government will lose and if they don't? We would have destroyed our economy and word power house regardless. The government loses whether it tries to kill off a mass rebellion or not.

So there is no point in pissing off the entire population.

Also , this isn't well-known , but states at least Mississippi , has a National Guard / Refuge plan in place for Military personnel to follow in the defense of the constitution.

If the government is suppressing the people and denying them valid constitutional rights , then the military WILL act against the government as our OATH tells us too.

(Valid Martial Law - disasters - is necessary).

---------

I will defend the Constitution against all enemies , foreign and domestic. Domestic is referring to Tyranny by Minorities or Majorities political groups.

However , our Government is no way being Tyrannic , just stupid. Simply go to the voting office and vote some one new.
edit on 24-2-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Problem is for all the people clinging to XP is that support ends for it on 2014, that means no more security updates. It's a decade old OS, time to move on. Technology is constantly moving, if you stay in one place you will fall behind.

If you people hate Microsoft so much buy a Mac Mini they start out at $599 and you can hook it up via HDMI to your tv so you don't have to buy a separate monitor, keyboard & mouse combos are cheap, and so is RAM for an upgrade (if you buy the RAM from a 3rd party.)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SSimon
i Believe it will be microsoft "self corporation kill switch".
If i buy a computer, i dont anyone tempering with it no matter how good it can be.

Computers just like our homes will never be ours it is all an illusion of ownership, we can't really own them and call them ours, we are forever hostages of Microsoft.

We had new modems given us "free upgrade" by Charter internet. I think if we do something that someone does not like Charter will kill our stuff for them.

I don't know much about computers but a while back I had a virus (got it on ATS well a link in thread) I got the virus taken care of but according to Microsoft now my windows was not legit. I didn't have the number for the windows that was on my hand me down machine so I no longer had windows.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
What an easy way to attack your business enemies. I could see people using the back door to put CP on their computers, make the folder in a hard to locate directory, and then bust them and let public opinion do the rest. also if you wanted to buy a company, use a temporary DOS attack using the kill switch. This will be the release that will be worse than ME.

PS: XP has a time bomb folder that removes hardware auto-config and the ability to add/remove programs from the system. It also de-activates the software in 30 days. The Trigger date is march 15, 2014. The script is located in the folder webfldrs.xp
edit on 24-2-2012 by eywadevotee because: The more you know

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Get Combofix and run it from time to time to get rid of nasty bugs. Don't ask MS to do it for ya.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I made the switch to Linux a few years ago. I saw the writing on the all. I knew it was just a matter of time before Microsoft took even more, (full) control over their Windows OS. You have to know that MS is just sucking Washington's [snip].... So, who's REALLY behind this kill switch?
edit on 24-2-2012 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I believe they already got a kill switch for quite some time, jusy was not officiall yet. Stick to Linux guys, and hope a hardware kill switch will not be enbeded in the future.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Kill switches? If you think this is the first time Microsoft have done this, think again.

Tho no hard proof exists, a security researcher found a number of cryptographic keys hidden in export versions of Windows 2000.

Wikipedia
Some Random Blog

For more references, Tickle Google.

While there are legit explanations, it makes ya wonder doesn't it?
edit on 24/2/2012 by BMorris because: removal of a malformed link

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Well I guess it's a good thing I dual boot windows 7 with Ubuntu on a separate HD..

Nice try Bill...

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Ever since microsoft was hit with that big anti trust suit they have been slowly bending over and saying "thank you sir may I have another"

Why the F do we need a kill switch!

Not to mention who on earth would download anything from their app store if they can nuke it at will and claim it was unsafe.
The way I see this working is they are going to try and launch an app that becomes more integrated into society than Twitter or FB.
Slowly make us come to rely on that app more and more, than when people are using the app to spread the word about a new form of tyranny bam the app is temporarily pulled for safety and all those who posted get rounded up before they turn it back on.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by antirepressant

Do you work for the company ? LOL this is ATS its our job to bring up these questions ...SO why are you here?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

im sorry, but what is a killswitch?

does it imply their ability to shut down my computer without my permission?

if so, ******* them, ********** them, ********************************** them in the greedy greasy CEO evil rich *************************
:flame flame flame:flame flame:

things just keep getting worse and worse!!!!!!!!!!! every time i hear something like this, i makes me WANT a 2012!!!!

i am angry with all my freedom being taken away by rich people in power that think they are so cool.
edit on 24-2-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by rbnhd76
reply to post by Signals

1. Unplug PC.

2. Pick up PC.

3. Throw PC out window.

4. Power up Verizon 4g LTE Droid Razr. (I think their working on a lightsaber app..)

5. Forever alone.

6. Problem?

Words of wisdom

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xertious
A kill switch that has control to anything other than programs woud have heavy legal issues behind it. From the sound of things, basically software from their app store will have to phone home, and their kill switch will tell them its pirated/etc and the software will not run. Any software that gains any unauthorised access to my PC would be criminal, even if I agree to it within the EAULA it would invalidate itself beause its asking to do something inherantly illegal.
Also, imagine all the big corperations that will not want a kill switch in their operating system. Microsoft gets a major portion of its sales to corperations who buy VLKs.

LOL at al the Microsoft bashing going on. In my experiance, half the people bashing Windows still use a Windows OS themselves. This will not change the market for the worse for Microsoft, infact it Windows 8 will do significant good for them. It will bridge the gap between portable and destop(/laptop). Something which apple is nowhere near, appearences are slightly similar but other than that theres nothing. Google's OS is going in another direction to its phone's os (ie being just a browser).
The reasons people don't use macs and linux OS' are still the same. I don't see the point in using an os other than Windows. Sure I get more control in linux, but its not much more, and it just hands me a load of controls I don't even want to play around with. I want me OS to function as is and not have to # around with ndiswrapper to get a driver working or having to # around turning off soft buttons that don't like to work. All at the expense o losing out on my important windows software. I'd lose out on my extensive games library, and before you bitch about wine, it doesn't always work. I've tested it with alot of software and faied on a majority. The only use I have for Linux is debian on my server bcause of its lightweight ness (don't need this desktop side because I want my desktop to be a beast of a Machine). I'd probably consider getting a Mac if I had alot of expendable income to waste and wanted to get into graphic design/movie editing etc.
Windows still rules and you know it. Vista was a massive ballsup, but 7 came out quick and fixed that. I've not had a problem with Windows for a good two years, I think since I started using 7 I've only BSOD'd once because of a game not liking my graphics card. Yes,, viruses target windows more often, thats because more people use windows. Every time somebody says "well there are more viruses for windows" makes me want to shout at them and say "well duh!". It seems an obvious point, you want to give somebody a virus you give the a virus that will actually effect them, more people using windows = more windows viruses. Even these people bitching forget there are alot more exploits out there for linux systems. I hear abot alot more severe (remote) exploits for linux software, hell everyone hears about sqli exploits and rootkits (theres what, probably two rootkits in the wild for windows and tonnes out there for linux).Daemons that run on web server and desktops alike like proftpd and the ikes.
The only way a person gets a virus on Windows is if they're an idiot. Generally there are no running daemons on a windows machine, so nothing for a user to remotely exploit. The only way people get exploited is if they go to a suspicious internet site. Or if they download something suspicious. (in linux unless you're using the latest version of a software I could just hook into that listening port and take remote control of your entire system without your knowledge). I can't find the source but I remember reading that 80% of infected machines were infefcted by somebody downloading a suspicious file.

Windows bashing has to stop.

This is exactly what they want us to hear.

Why be so obvious, new member?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
People, you'll be forced to upgrade once your hardware gives out. It won't last forever. You can buy a new laptop cheap around $400 and it'd still be decent specs. Third party software support will end for XP too, if you want the latest browser and web compatibility you'll have to use an updated browser if you want pages to render correctly. Firefox and Chrome won't be supported on XP forever and you'll find behind on web standards. Once Microsoft drops the axe on it, it's days are numbered. No security fixes, no new software, no updates of any kind.

When supports ends in 2014, XP will have been supported for amazingly long 13 years! That's ancient in the tech world. It's time to move forward. You can't hang on to the past forever. Microsoft plans on going back to releasing a new OS every 2-3 years. Granted I doubt people will upgrade every time a new one comes out but probably every other release.

You could use Linux but it can be a hassle to get it to work with all your hardware. If it works for you great but for the average person a switch to Mac would be a better option. Apple has a budget Mac Mini for $599 just bring your own monitor, keyboard, and mouse. It'd be good to upgrade the 2 gigs of ram to 4 or 8 which you can get cheap from Crucial or other online markets.

I'll wait till Windows 8 Consumer Preview (aka Beta) comes out on the 29th to see how it is. It shall be an interesting year indeed.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
I see... I see.

Mac 1, PC 0

Keep playing your SIms while you still can
i'll be laughing to Macintosh Pages

sorry, but macs are still junk that only hipsters buy. The people who sport macs are trying way to hard to fit in by sticking out. Especially when macs are overpriced by at least 3x what a windows pc does. Yet they do the same thing and more... Ever think about that? What does your mac do that a pc cant do?....Keep sipping your 8$ starbucks to guy... mac will always be a 0.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SharpKnife

Originally posted by Jordan River
I see... I see.

Mac 1, PC 0

Keep playing your SIms while you still can
i'll be laughing to Macintosh Pages

sorry, but macs are still junk that only hipsters buy. The people who sport macs are trying way to hard to fit in by sticking out. Especially when macs are overpriced by at least 3x what a windows pc does. Yet they do the same thing and more... Ever think about that? What does your mac do that a pc cant do?....Keep sipping your 8$ starbucks to guy... mac will always be a 0.

Windows 8 might drive people to Macs you never know. Tim Cook might take the company in a new direction to gain more market share in the desktop/laptop market.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join