It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Kill Switch Comes to the PC

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
Windows 8 has been around for a while now in beta versions.

Has anyone tested this ?

Some details might help understand the problems if any.

I had it running in a VMWare box for about 2 days. Felt so depressed that this was the future that I decided to install Ubuntu and forgo all my woes... Found that ATI have yet to release decent drivers for Ubuntu and that my full screen HD was tearing beyond ignorable, and while it's still there as a dual boot option, find I'm in Windows 7 more these days.

Also ubuntu has a new 'features' that is rather shocking to my eyes. as bad as Windows 8 in my opinion. The Launcher and the Dash... I prefer my toolstrip that is familiar, and not awkward relearning how to access things.

By comparison however, it beats W(ait) by a mile.

Look on youtube for detailed videos on the 'features' of windows 8.

for example:

Now, imagine this as your default computer and not a tablet... this is windows 8.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u
A friend ask me what i used and i said windows 8 he said he did not believe me and i said, i will be upgrading to windows 9. I showed him. end of story. I don't uderstand why you people say upgrade windows 8? I am confused.

Lmao, what are you on man!!

Are you using the developers beta?

Oh ... you'll be downgrading if anything...

PS Dude, don't use Windows 9 - it's Voice Activated only!!

MSDN blog
edit on 23-2-2012 by mainidh because: edited for 4/1 humour
even if it's 4 years old.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
So according to the article, it only affects apps downloaded through the new app store. Disable remote access and don't download apps from the app store. Problem solved.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
I see... I see.

Mac 1, PC 0

Keep playing your SIms while you still can
i'll be laughing to Macintosh Pages

More like PC: -999999999, Mac: -99999999999, Unix based OS's: 100000000000000000000000

If you think this won't hit the Mac OS you are sorely mistaken. Apple is no stranger when it comes to spreading your private information, and tracking your every movement. They have the most efficient sweatshops in the world, do you really think they would balk at this concept if the government wanted them to include it? Do you think they haven't thought of this alraedy and have probably already written the code for it?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Oh great so now when the hackers use this as a exploit it might be a total disaster for many, many PC's. I magine a zombie exploit of this. "Ohh the humanity!"

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights
So according to the article, it only affects apps downloaded through the new app store. Disable remote access and don't download apps from the app store. Problem solved.

This is how insecure windows is from the bottom-up and the reason why malware infests the platform.

An operating system should be completely closed up from a stock/OEM configuration and not allow any kind of remote access unless the user enables it.

Saying one should disable remote access, is good advice for obvious reasons. But where you have to disable it because "remote access" it's a default feature is just asking for trouble.

Hint hint, netbios being an oldage example of another remote windows flaw.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I like it...

ya, I know, I am totally pro-establishment...but hey, considering everyone here hates it (win8), that makes me the anti-establishment lone voice of ATS

Anyhow, I don't use a lot of mike's products..their operating system. Seems the issue is in the installation of their crap. If it gives me grief, I will simply downgrade back to 7. no worries..but as a computer dude, I need to stay on top of the emerging new tech anyhow..so no sticking with Dos 3.11 for me.

I am not overly fond of the idea of touch screen though...my monitor is set back a bit and big..so it would quickly become tedius to keep pawing at my monitor.
Voice activation...well, the tech still isn't there yet to be able to understand my garble words perfectly...
-waiting for the brain implant-

The PC is however quickly becoming the star trek style screens though...and that I can appreciate.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Common Sense x Facts = Reality.

Microsoft Windows will continue to dominate the world for a couple reasons. First every Federal, State and local government uses windows based systems. This isn't likely to change anytime soon.

Second reason, and probably most importantly is the PC Video Game market, specifically the MMO Genre. They are not likely to be switching anytime soon to any format other than Windows. These games would take tremendous amount of programming to get them to work correctly on a touch screen based OS.

Although I admit I haven't read much about windows 8 I do know that 15 Million Gamers aren't going to install a OS that doesn't et them use a mouse at lightning speed.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I have played with Windows 8 developer preview and the metro UI can be removed and normal windows start menu and desktop put back. this is easy to do as tools have been created to do so. www.ghacks.net... the games are interesting in Windows 8 and very much made for touch screens. generally windows 8 seems identical to windows 7.. this is my first post so hi all. ill stick to xp pro though and 7 ultimate..
edit on 24-2-2012 by pokie because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-2-2012 by pokie because: first post added link for tool

edit on 24-2-2012 by pokie because: typo

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
This reminds me of when people were talking about the kill-switch in the Intel Sandy-Bridge processors.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I bought one of the shiny i5 2500k chips and Intel has never flipped the switch on me.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
I see... I see.

Mac 1, PC 0

Keep playing your SIms while you still can
i'll be laughing to Macintosh Pages

Apple has already had this same featured included in their OS before MS did, sorry.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
lol, there is an upside to being a Microsoft developer. I get to laugh at the stuff people say in these matters.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
stuff windows... I will stick with Apple

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
stuff windows... I will stick with Apple

Yes stick with Apple. Steve Jobs only hired Asian slave labor to build all the iphones and other fun toys the "western" world plays with while leaving absolutely nothing to charity and instead all that money to his worthless spoiled brat kids that will eventually run the company into the ground.

That's the American #in dream. Make it big like Steve Jobs so you can ship all the jobs to China and # everyone else over your entire life by handing the money you made over to some spoiled brats that don't have to work a day in their #ing life.

Too soon?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAnswerTo1984

ah so Microsoft don't manufacture os?

Foreign Co's in China

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

Microsoft? Oh you mean Bill Gates the eugenicist? No. He doesn't get my money either.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   

haha ok well what the heck are you using as your op system if it is not either?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

haha ok well what the heck are you using as your op system if it is not either?

Toaster. From the homeless guy down the street. Runs on human hair. From my back.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   

ok seems that you may be in denial... if you just have a little look at the computer your using right now.. it will say what it is.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   

ok seems that you may be in denial... if you just have a little look at the computer your using right now.. it will say what it is.

Computer? What's that?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join