It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Kill Switch Comes to the PC

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
i Believe it will be microsoft "self corporation kill switch".
If i buy a computer, i dont anyone tempering with it no matter how good it can be.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by wrksstudios

I'll just stick with Linux

(Fixed your post -
)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Ya i like too paint in broad strokes,,

but have too say sounds like u used to do tech. support, ,,,lol

ya i did that,,tec support vista release for good old M$,,
sorry sir. we now only support H.P Printers, of the NEWEST model
no sir im not kidding,,
yes sir limited,
bought it yesterday,and says M$ ready,,VIsta ready,,
oh well were still making the drivers functional,,,
for some reason.
just buy a N$EW PRODUCT,,

that will be 120.00 for tech support sir,,
what was that?
#@$#%&^$^
yes sir,,

Me.

ya i ramble.
nothing changes,,,CAVET EMPTOR
edit on 23-2-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
reply to post by antirepressant

Which part of my OP has "half-truths"?

This part:

With the rollout of the Windows 8 operating system expected later this year, millions of desktop and laptop PCs will get kill switches for the first time.

This is not the first instance of "kill switches" on computers and related products. 3rd parties have produced such products for years, including total "remote wipe"; Microsoft Exchange and similiar products have had the capability to remove emails and sensitive data for a while and LoJack for Mac can do it.

Apple's IOs has had it since around v3, Android marketplace has it.
OSX 10.7.2 can do it... but no one's going after Apple now, are they?

edit on 23-2-2012 by antirepressant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Windows 8 has been around for a while now in beta versions.

Has anyone tested this ?

Some details might help understand the problems if any.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

The Kill Switch Comes to the PC

www.businessweek.com

With the rollout of the Windows 8 operating system expected later this year, millions of desktop and laptop PCs will get kill switches for the first time. Microsoft (MSFT) hasn’t spoken publicly about its reasons for including this capability in Windows 8 beyond a cryptic warning that it might be compelled to use it for legal or security reasons. The feature was publicized in a widely cited Computerworld article in December when Microsoft posted the terms of use for its new application store, a feature in Windows 8 that will allow users to download software from a Microsoft-controlled portal
(visit the link for the full news article)

i'm confused. I have windows 8 for some time now and i will be upgrading to windows 9 ? WTF.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Obama internet "kill switch "bill approved
Homeland Security Wants a "KILL SWITCH" for your Internet Provider!!!!
David Cameron: Social Media 'Killswitch'

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
So don't buy Windows 8? Speak with your money people. Force them to release a version without the switch. If all else fails, a new os will pop up as an alternative.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I don't get it, i already have windows 8 and will upgrade to windows 9. WTF. I'M CONFUSED.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
A friend ask me what i used and i said windows 8 he said he did not believe me and i said, i will be upgrading to windows 9. I showed him. end of story. I don't uderstand why you people say upgrade windows 8? I am confused.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Eh it'll be circumvented in ten minutes.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

I concur! I'm still lovin' XP as well. I reckon I shall continue to.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

Ill be hopping onto linux soon myself! For school reasons ive been using windows, but i have gotten to play with fedora and ubuntu. I do like/appreciate the whole linux movement, but im not proficient enough yet in its command line abilities.

Let me ask you, what other linux distros have you used besides ubuntu? Im having a hard tme figuring out which flavor to use.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAnswerTo1984

Do that and MS will make windows 8 a critical self installing update

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

i already have windows 8 for some time and soon will upgrade to windows 9, I am confused, i have been useing windows 8 for some time now. How can windows 8 be a new upgrade? I'm confused.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
someone answer me this, i am confused.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I have a Bachelors of Science in Management of Information Systems. I also taught Windows 7, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008 for a college in Alabama. I know how to code in 8 different computer languages as well. I am not bragging, I just wanted to throw that out there before I make my comment concerning this subject.

I believe that this is correct. I am not sure why they would do this, but I can tell you that Windows is installed on just about every Government computer as well as a large share of the Operating System market. That is why I like Open Source Operating Systems like Linux Red Hat or Linux Unbuntu. Those Operating Systems allow the user much more control over their own computer and they are free. Of course there is a learning curve with a new Operating Systems, but it is worth it! It is free! I do not us Microsoft Office at home either. I use Open Office. It is compatible with MS Office. Anyway, if I had to guess, this is probably how Microsoft will combat piracy of their products.
edit on 2/23/2012 by NoSoup4U because: typo

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u
A friend ask me what i used and i said windows 8 he said he did not believe me and i said, i will be upgrading to windows 9. I showed him. end of story. I don't uderstand why you people say upgrade windows 8? I am confused.

I think you might be confusing Windows with Internet Explorer, I've recently installed IE9

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by NoSoup4U

Agreed. I am a full time career programmer with a BS in computer science.

If Microsoft does do this, they will only be shooting themselves in the foot. They know we will find it, and they know people will not like it. They -will- lose tons of the OS market share if they did do something like this.

As NoSoup4U stated, this is most likely an anti-piracy "switch" that took on its own life as it traversed the rumor mill. Chances are it will just disable any pirated software, something they have been aiming for for quite a while.

However, to think that they will be installing a "PC Kill Switch" is a bit overboard. Microsoft may own the software, but they do not own the hardware it is running on.

If you are truly "scared" by this. The go download a distro of Linux, and keep it as a backup. If anything does happen, just install Linux instead and get back up and running.

The sky is not falling Chicken Little.

-xmaddness
edit on 23-2-2012 by xmaddness because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Haha Old colours still shine eh? Yeah I used to do tech support. But almost 10 years ago now, so very out of the loop.

I know exactly the sort of people you're talking about, the "Why won't you support my self setup lan at the college where you have your own lan, which somehow conflicts with everything I've setup! I'm a Business Unit Manager damn it, I'll speak to the Managing Director and have him talk to your manager about this!!!" or "Why can't I let students log in with my account if they've not had their accounts created by CMIS yet? Bureaucratic rubbish, I never had this problem in the public sector.."

ends up the same way every time, ahh but those were the days I do not long for.

And I did it as an Employee, so we bent over backwards for the same meager wage regardless

Windows 8 will be, at best, a novelty. You can (I'm not sure if you still can, but could have) download the Beta Tester version. Not the complete deal yet, more for people to test their software on... but if it's anywhere near the final product, ugh.. M$ jumped the shark.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join