It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Trolled Driver's License Database for Pic of Hot Colleague

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Cops Trolled Driver's License Database for Pic of Hot Colleague

www.wired.com

A former female police officer, suspecting randy colleagues were abusing Minnesota’s driver’s license database to look her up, discovered that 104 officers in 18 different agencies across the state had accessed her driver’s license record 425 times, using the state database as their personal Facebook service.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

The cops could be fired if an internal investigation finds that they violated a federal privacy law, in what could be one of the largest private data breaches by law enforcement in history, according to the Minneapolis independent paper City Pages, which broke the story.

Add this story to the growing list of law enforcement abuse and power tripping. It is increasingly obvious that police methods and, more importantly, access to private data is being mishandled and used as a "personal facebook". The apologists will come forward with the usual few bad apples excuse but here's the problem. Even once disclosed, seldom do the perpetrators actually suffer for their crime. They are held above the very laws that they allegedly are there to serve and citizens they claim to protect. This issue is systemic considering what we, as the public, are even allowed to know. One can only imagine the true number of incidents that are commonly swept under the carpet. More rigorous audits are needed and more severe penalties need to be applied. As one comment stated from the article

"Why aren't the officers being chared with violating the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act? Oh right, those who enforce the laws are exempt from the laws."

The officer who looked at Rasmusson’s record 13 times was subsequently demoted and received a five-day suspension, the harshest penalty anyone has received so far. Others have had warning letters placed in their files or were sent for training.

Wow 5 whole days, probably paid leave as well.

But according to City Pages, Minneapolis hasn’t disciplined any of the 24 officers who looked up Rasmusson’s record, and St. Paul absolved four of its officers. The city is still considering discipline for 38 others under investigation.

brill

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 23-2-2012 by brill because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Sometimes I wish I was a cop...I can only scratch the surface of the high-jinks that are possible.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

She doesn't know why so many people were looking at her picture ..... and neither do I.. it's not like she was exceptionally attractive?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Did the article say whether the perps were guys?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by brill

She doesn't know why so many people were looking at her picture ..... and neither do I.. it's not like she was exceptionally attractive?

Apparently she was rather large and had lost a considerable amount of weight and also had plastic surgery. Either way I agree with you. It begs the question then on how bad the abuse could be with someone who is very attractive or has other redeeming qualities. The fact that this is one of their own speaks volumes, imagine the abuse at the public level. It's like TSA syndrome.

brill

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I guess this constitutes a new source of jail bait material.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron
reply to post by Rockpuck

Did the article say whether the perps were guys?

Yes. There was one female officer as well.
2nd

brill

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Here's the original story from City Pages (Minneapolis local music/arts rag).

Is Anne Marie Rasmusson too hot to have a drivers license?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by elmoastro
Here's the original story from City Pages (Minneapolis local music/arts rag).

Is Anne Marie Rasmusson too hot to have a drivers license?

Thanks for the added article
It re-enforces my point that these people have created a culture of abuse and entitlement. They continue to not be held accountable. It always seems to be an "isolated incident" that will get handled. Of course

The agencies involved have maintained that this is an isolated incident. But one officer, who would not use his name for fear of further discipline, says that the practice is commonplace.

"I get Anne's side of it," he says. "But every single cop in the state has done this. Chiefs on down."

brill

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Oh. My. God! Do you mean to tell me that police officers used a drivers license database to look at a...a...a...picture of another officer? What an extraordinary abuse of power! If an Iranian Christian is to be executed for apostasy, then surely these people should be executed as well. I don't really see how this officer can ever recover from this abuse. She should claim PTSD for the shame, shock, and emotional pain they have inflicted upon her by looking at her drivers license pictture. Surely it's worth a few million and a disability retirement.

I once was a witness to similar abuse of power. I worked for the telephone company in a C.O., a Central Office of what was then Pacific Northwest Bell, where equipment was maintained. It was a trivial thing to do technically (connect two terminals, duh!), but once in awhile I witnessed telephone company personnel in the Lennox CO (See if you can trace them down!) listen to telephone calls. This was TOTALLY against the rules, punishable by termination, but these guys listened to one steamy telephone call and actually had the gall to put it on the speaker and then LAUGH about it! I was mortified, but I dared not tell for fear for my life. Those guys were tough and union, too! Another extraordinary abuse of power!

And another time (I hesitate to say this because it represents such an abuse of privacy) I saw a library employee look up the record of a library patron just to see what books she had checked out. ANOTHER abuse of power that, had anyone discovered it, would have been grounds for immediate termination. Once again, I said nothing for fear of ostracization. I am so ashamed.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

I'm going to say.

That I look better!!!

Everyone thinks I'm self-centered anyway. Might as well own up to it.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
Oh. My. God! Do you mean to tell me that police officers used a drivers license database to look at a...a...a...picture of another officer? What an extraordinary abuse of power! If an Iranian Christian is to be executed for apostasy, then surely these people should be executed as well. I don't really see how this officer can ever recover from this abuse. She should claim PTSD for the shame, shock, and emotional pain they have inflicted upon her by looking at her drivers license pictture. Surely it's worth a few million and a disability retirement.

......other useless rambling....

Congrats. Obviously you are above this since you feel that those in control should abuse power they are entrusted with. We can only hope that your personal information, and judging from the quality of your post should even be more useless, gets readily displayed for others to peruse at their leisure. You strike me at the type of person who would leave their door unlocked, then whine when someone steals your tv. Its not about the content in this case, its the fact that those who we are supposed to trust not only abuse that trust but get away with it. Anyone else in that predicament would likely be jailed. Does it happen...sure...but to trivialize the matter, especially one of this potential magnitude, shows a complete lack of understanding and basic comprehension.

brill
edit on 23-2-2012 by brill because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Even your avatar, which is a cartoon is more attractive. Anyway, beyond that incredibly sexist statement

Even if she was hot, that should not be tolerated.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
This is why powers should be limited to state agencies. At the end of the day, it's people running them. And people are idiots. Or corrupt. Or corrupt idiots.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

As in every profession, there are those in law enforcement that are badge-heavy, abusive, immature, and unprofessional. But it really is a small percentage. And databases are not routinely abused - there are internal controls that prevent this in most places. The national and state databases keep logs of every bit of information accessed and by whom. Certain categories of information can not be accessed without documentation of "need to know," and authorization to access those databases is very limited. Criminal histories, for example, are password protected and MUST be linked to a case number. Only a handful of people in a police department are given access to these files, and that handful does NOT include patrol officers, detectives, and most administrators. It is usually only communications personnel. The state BCI and FBI conduct annual audits, and each department has several TACs that conduct random routine audits and internal checks. Most police officers can't run anything but license plates, driver's license, and warrants checks, (and most are too lazy to learn how to run those, preferring to ask dispatchers to do it for them.) All other types of checks can ONLY be run by dispatchers, and their access and logs are tightly controlled and inspected continually. Anyone with a log on can have it terminated at any time and must recertify once or twice a year. At re-certification, their logs are inspected and anything amiss results in suspension of privileges, as well as civil and criminal penalties including jailtime. Loss of employment and decertification is automatic.

It's easier to catch abuse in smaller agencies, so big city departments undoubtedly have more abuse than smaller ones. However, this kind of thing would have been caught eventually, which is why it's a lot rarer than most on here would believe. It's just not worth your job to take a look at somebody's drivers' license picture. Anybody risking it would not only lose their job and go to jail but could never work in law enforcement again. I don't know what's wrong with those people in Minn. but in most places, this would have been caught right away.

And by the way, nobody hates this kind of thing more than police officers, because it gives them all a bad name.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
She looked better before with some weight on her and less orange.

Before

After

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Two things:

First is to point out the extreme irony of the point of this news story... now everyone with access to the internet has access to her pictures.

Second... how is she hot? I guess you'd have to be a cop to get a hard-on for a plastic face. I prefer real features myself.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by brill

Then I can only assume that it was a huge inside joke. The articles all say it was because she was "hot" but .. maybe in my own opinion, she's not .. so I'm thinking she was the bad end of an inside joke that was funny enough to spread through several agencies.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
onehundred and four officers checked her DL fourhundred and twentyfive times.....because she ..... did........what........
i would assume there is more to this story but since it is an ongoing investigation ect ect ect...

the point is why??? why would sooo many different officers over twentyfour different depts. want to look up her address, picture, hieght, weight, eye color............pause for effect......sorry, i must be the only one who thinks that cops looking up your address, picture, weight, height and eyecolor is a bit creepy.............
do the police have thier own internal version of 'facebook'?? what about 'attractive' people that get pulled over?....are the police stalking them too?!? just think about it for a moment.............

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join