It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the moon shrink?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Hmm, go outside and look.

Usually, isn't the bright star suppose to be near the moon? Hmm, now it looks like we have 2 bright stars. So, what planets are these this time?

edit on 23-2-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

*sigh*

Friend, what direction are you even looking? Give me something to work with and I'll check with my Sky Map smartphone hippie doohickey.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Hmmm, Strange because where I live (southern east coast) The moon is but a sliver, it's very crescent. Your POV of the moon looks a bit broader.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I can't tell anything from your picture.

Care to provide more information as to where you are, which direction that picture was taken, what's your star sign, etc.?

20 bucks says this devolves into a Nibiru thread.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

My apologies, I should have hand washed it in lukewarm water and let it air dry.

But I've only got so many hours to wash it and I've got to hang it back up there before nightfall.

Cut me a little slack!

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
See what I mean?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Another perfect example.

link   

im surprised you can see the moon at all considering its waxing from a new moon lunaf.com...
edit on 23-2-2012 by TheGuyFawkes because: (no reason given)

link   
Visible planets should be venus and jupiter

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I had a fellow skywatcher give me some advice on this site once and I will do the same for you now...

download and Look for yourself !

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Yuh, it's only 8PM and the stars look wacked.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Has m'lady been hitting the Strawberry Hill a wee bit early this evening?

Just saying...

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
It would be a beautiful night to photograph the moon, if it wasn't drizzling here and the sky wasn't a full overcast. With a nice timed exposure during a waxing phase one can also image some stars, and of course the whole moon with just 4% of it overexposed.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Yes. The moon shrunk.

haters gonna hate.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Shrinkage is normal in cold places.

Ask George Costanza.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
hahah......no....

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
The precise measurements vary, but the moon is moving approximately 1.5 inches away from the Earth every year.

emphasis added by me:

About Chat Expert Dr. Renee Weber

Dr. Renee Weber is a planetary scientist at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center. She serves as the project scientist for the Lunar Mapping and Modeling Project, a software project designed to provide lunar maps and surface feature information to mission planners and other lunar researchers. Renee's scientific research focuses on planetary seismology, in particular the re-processing of seismic data from the Apollo missions. She is involved in several international efforts with goals of sending modern, broad-band seismometers to both the moon and Mars.

....[snip]....

SImona: Why is the Moon moving away from earth at a rate of 1.5 inches per year?

Renee_Weber: It's caused by gravitational torque on the lunar orbit.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
As we move into late February and early March, the moon will move up and away from Mercury and pass near Venus on the 25th and Jupiter on the 26th. Mercury also moves up and away from the sun and will soon become much easier to see.

Here is an illustration of how different a Perigee and Apogee moon can look in the sky due to it's elliptical orbit, of course this varies because just this last March we had a large Supermoon, later on that.

Unfortunately the moon was near Perigee around January 17th, and is still closer to earth now than most of the year, so if anything the moon should be LARGER in the sky right now.

Lunar Perigee and Apogee Calendar.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

My apologies, I should have hand washed it in lukewarm water and let it air dry.

But I've only got so many hours to wash it and I've got to hang it back up there before nightfall.

Cut me a little slack!

All there asking for is some kind of coordinates..better yet, zoom out and take a bigger picture of the sky. That should take much less time then washing your hands.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Geez it's the two bright stars, you can't miss it.

Okay, I took more snapshots, but you won't believe me anyway. Give me a minute.

It's 9PM and this thing is as low as the roof top of my neighbor but you're all going say it's a street light.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Now this was higher an hour ago, but it is going lower.

<<   2 >>

join