It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Koran Burning Incident and Response

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
Do the people here that are criticising the actions of the Afghanis actually understand how sacred they regard the Quran? That Yoda bloke, is so arrogant/ignorant, it isn't funny. It is paper to YOU, not to them. To them, it is their life. It revolves around the Quran.

The American military can't do anything right. One thing to the next, they have lost all trust in the public. Look at them now, Afghanistan is rioting, and the population isn't only rioting and trying to take the bases of Americans, they are also doing it to French bases. They had to turn a marching mob of 2000 Afghanis away from their base yesterday.

This stupid little act, has now put EVERY Coalition force at risk, USA, Britain, Australia, New Zealand, France, Germany, and countless others are now targets thanks to those soldiers.

you clearly dont seem to sympathize with americans do you "bloke"?

ok lets put it in simple terms for you.. here we go..

i understand and respect that those of muslim faith regard that book as "sacred"

ok

well lets say i regard the christian bible as "sacred" they have burned hundreds of them, when was the last time their president went on national television to apaologize?

i'll say it one more time..an innocent human life if more sacred than any book will ever be...eyt hundreds are kidnapped and murdered by muslims...

everything in this world is sacred to someone, yet you dont see the muslims apologizing for the atrocities they have committed against humanity, and god..

cheers "mate"

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by quedup

i understand what you mean, and that was a very well thoughout response..

you had many valid points...

but

i was not born in america..in fact i was born in an incredibly poor country, nothing but farms and cows, swamps and mountains...

growing up in poverty does not give a person the right to kill another for burning a book, there are NO excuses or exemptions..

after i realized the grip that religion had on me for half of my life, i took it upon MYSELF to evolve to the next level of thinking, to transend unto another boundary of knowledge..

and it all starts when you question religion, once that happens, ANYTHING is possible..

again, being poor, or un educated does not give you the right to be a murderer...especially in the name of allah

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ooYODAoo

Do the people here that are criticising the actions of the Afghanis actually understand how sacred they regard the Quran? That Yoda bloke, is so arrogant/ignorant, it isn't funny. It is paper to YOU, not to them. To them, it is their life. It revolves around the Quran.

The American military can't do anything right. One thing to the next, they have lost all trust in the public. Look at them now, Afghanistan is rioting, and the population isn't only rioting and trying to take the bases of Americans, they are also doing it to French bases. They had to turn a marching mob of 2000 Afghanis away from their base yesterday.

This stupid little act, has now put EVERY Coalition force at risk, USA, Britain, Australia, New Zealand, France, Germany, and countless others are now targets thanks to those soldiers.

i understand and respect that those of muslim faith regard that book as "sacred"

ok

well lets say i regard the christian bible as "sacred" they have burned hundreds of them, when was the last time their president went on national television to apaologize?

i'll say it one more time..an innocent human life if more sacred than any book will ever be...eyt hundreds are kidnapped and murdered by muslims...

everything in this world is sacred to someone, yet you dont see the muslims apologizing for the atrocities they have committed against humanity, and god..

cheers "mate"
Haha, got a bit of Aussie in you aye

Now onto this incident..

Yes, the 'extremist' Muslims have done that. However in fact, most Muslims are very freindly and down to Earth.

I agree, a human life is more sacred, but teh soldiers who were involved were stupid for doing such a thing. I just wonder what was going through their heads at the time.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ooYODAoo

ok

cheers "mate"
Haha, got a bit of Aussie in you aye

Now onto this incident..

Yes, the 'extremist' Muslims have done that. However in fact, most Muslims are very freindly and down to Earth.

I agree, a human life is more sacred, but teh soldiers who were involved were stupid for doing such a thing. I just wonder what was going through their heads at the time.

yes 100% those guys were idiots for what they did was uncalled for...

but as the muslim religion teaches peace, there should not have been this kind of response from half of the community...

atleast we can agree on one thing..

theres a reason why they call them "jar-heads"

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

As expected, knee jerk reactions to the Thread are rampant. Claims of treason, apologist behavior, and inflamed sense of offended sensitivities to what we ourselves are loyal to.... isn't that what the problem is?

The incident was entirely avoidable. This means the deaths were too. Was it ignorance or malice? It doesn't matter what took place and where as much as pointing out the stupidity of it. It's about putting yourself in the shoes, or sandals, of others. It Should Never Have Happened.

If you lived there, what would you do and would it be okay then? It could happen right here in America. Someone foreign does something culturally and/or religiously insulting. Spits on the flag, burns a bible, and a riot ensues.....does that mean we are now the barbarians and the others actions acceptable without apologies? This isn't about America and Afghanistan anymore than its about Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland, or Sunni and Shia. It's about realizing not everyone has the same beliefs or customs or culture or takes offense at different things.

An okay sign in America, circled thumb and index finger is OKAY in America but insulting in other countries. That's a mild example. Obviously there are far worse insults to people.

I am not condoning the riots or deaths. I am not an apologist for Muslim fanatics, Christian fanatics, Jewish Fanatics, or even Buddhist fanatics. Should Obama have apologized? I think so. Our people did something stupid that infuriated the Afghans. We might consider what happened as insignificant, but that's not the point. It didn't happen in the Mid West, it happened in the Middle East. It exacerbated problems.

Should Karzai apologize for the killings? Yes, even though it was his culture that was insulted. Two wrongs don't make a right. But for us to shrug at the Koran burning and be furious about the response only shows our cultural ignorance and indifference. Their way of life might not meet our approval, but neither might our way of life meet theirs. Without respect for that, only conflict can result. And some here just say "fine, let's kick their ass!". That attitude is just part of the problem, not the solution.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ooYODAoo

No it does not give you the right as pointed out in my post - however, I really think you need to look at Americas History - they are the only ones who ever used Nukes on the world and continue to bully the world into accepting so called democracy when they don't even have it themselves.
They are the ones who are killing innocent families and children with their drones and the ones using Uranium all over these war torn countries.
Which ever way you look at it - this is the case.

Now instead of taking over some one else's thread - an OP who clearly does have some understanding of the issue why don't you create your own thread and perhaps garner some support.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Well,my King James Version Bible is not just a book
of paper to me.I love reading G-d's word and get comfort,
peace and guidance from it's pages.
My Bible is outlawed in muslim controlled countries.I couldn't
even have my own personal Bible to read without it being confiscated,
burned and me arrested.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaxnmarko
reply to post by Auricom

yourself in the shoes, or sandals, of others.

you had a great point, not to disrespect you, but this statement made me laugh out loud a little

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

It is outlawed in Middle Eastern countries because their religious law says so. I just wish that evreyone could live in peace and harmony, this whole incident isn't doing anyone good either.

Unfortunately too, this rioting seems irreversible. The public is going nuts and every soldier and country is now at risk

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
reply to post by jaxnmarko

What is it with these extreme right-wing politicos and their desire to burn books?

They have to warm their souls somehow.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by quedup

No it does not give you the right as pointed out in my post - however, I really think you need to look at Americas History - they are the only ones who ever used Nukes on the world and continue to bully the world into accepting so called democracy when they don't even have it themselves.
They are the ones who are killing innocent families and children with their drones and the ones using Uranium all over these war torn countries.
Which ever way you look at it - this is the case.

Now instead of taking over some one else's thread - an OP who clearly does have some understanding of the issue why don't you create your own thread and perhaps garner some support.

ok before i go...

i am in no way attempting to take over anyones thread, i apologize...

i leave with these words...

the entire muslim population is NOT at fault for the harsh and brutal response to this incident...

but remember

the entire american population is NOT responsible for nuking japan, or flying drones and spying on others..

i am not a drone pilot, i am not a soldier, i am not in charge...key word in charge

those ones respnsible for the hatred, and chaos, the wars, and murders.....

ARE THE ONES IN CHARGE.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Do you not see how this thinking is the exact same as those who you'd call extreme?

"If she had not wore a short skirt, then her flesh would not be as free to the wild cats. She called the rape upon herself" to paraphrase a shiekh in Sydney a few years ago.

"I only bashed her because she made me angry, your honor."

"It's your fault we attack you and kill innocent people, you burnt our holy book."

All of the above is removing the fault of the guilty using insane arguments of shifting blame to the victim. In this case, innocent people have died, and people are saying "Well do you blame them??"

I do. Murder for paper is not an answer to a problem of barbaric mindsets.

No, killing people is not ever going to be acceptable to a sane human being, for the burning of paper.

It can cause the heart to swell and thoughts to be formed, but actions such as we continually see, are just barbaric and outrageous.

Why the hell are people justifying it?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Ok, lets put this on a slightly different slant.

Should the people who were responsible for the burning of these books be held responsible and accountable, or should Anyone who is not an Afghani be targeted?

We seem to be saying "Not all muslims are doing this" but we're not saying "Not all Americans are doing this" either.

On the one hand, we have people saying "America is responsible for this event, so it's understandable that some Arabs are upset!" but we're not hearing "Only a few Americans are responsible for this event, so why are so many Arabs calling for anything American to be destroyed."

Do you see the difference?

If it were 5 Americans who did this, does that warrant the violence we're seeing?

Who do you think has the upper hand, ultimately, in this? Your president and the commander of the camp over there, have apologised.

to this I've read "They burn our holy book and then they apologise, they always apologise." in reply to being asked why such violence is accepted to these people.

For the handful of idiots who burn a damn book, these people call for death, and it's the entirety of the western world that has to submit. And yet, we're told continually it's just a minority of errant muslims who make up this rabble.

I don't see how this works... Something is skewed and I don't think it's from my point of view.

I begin to realise why Islam means Submission.

edit on 23-2-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

It's uncanny how I spend time posting and then see you say almost the exact same thing in far less words

Damn your force is strong lol

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

*facepalm*

They were burning the books because Afghan prisoners were writing in them, passing notes etc. They weren't burning the books because of any religious text.
They were destroying the messages and message conveyance that the prisoners were using.

Lets put some perspective on this.

Two soldiers have now died because we destroyed "notes" that prisoners were passing around.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
reply to post by Sek82

Most Christians only give lip service to the Bible. Even more do not live the principles taught by Jesus.

And muslim are better? Spare me your hypocrisy

The worlds full of hypocrits, take your number and get in line.

Least we don't go killing people for burning the bible. You can take your money and buy a bible and do whatever the hell with it you want, i do not care. It's your money to piss away if thats what pleases you the most. I don't get upset about people burning books that mean nothing to them, theyre only hurting themselves.

For every bible that gets burned 10,000 more are printed, so by all means keep burning them and we will spread the word of Yahweh and his Son Jesus to every hole in the wall on this planet.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Amazing...

Obama apologizes for this, but doesn't demand an apology for the killing of 2 American servicemen over this.

Disgusting...

Why would he apologize, he's proved time and time again he is a closet muslim.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Yeah, I understand there were writings in the Korans that we did not want disseminated. I think a better idea might have been to make them "disappear" like the prisoners we've taken, ie, send them to another country for..... disposal. The people were caught because they burned the books in the wrong place and word got out. There's an old saying: "Loose lips sink ships". Maybe in this case it should be "Burning books burns rooks" Like drinking alcohol in Saudi Arabia, its getting caught that gets you in trouble.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
the thing is they could have avoided it for this one Reason

Is it right to kill people because of it, no of course not. But their country is occupied by foreign forces and they are far from having normal lives anymore.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

I'm not defending the actions of the individuals. I said that the coalition forces are at risk now, and it is evident with Afghanis trying to storm French and American bases.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join