It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loud Sonic Boom Heard

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Just had a very loud "Boom" at about 5:55 EST, here near Aiken, SC, USA.

Not sure what it was and lasted only a second. It did sound like when an aircraft goes sonic and breaks the sound barrier, but it was enough to literally rattle the windows of my house.

I've never heard that here since 1989 that I have lived here. Military aircraft I have heard go by, normally at high altitude.

Me and my oldest son (who's 21) ran outside and looked, but did not see anything. Variable cloudiness (but no thunder boomers in the area), high winds, and nothing on the local news.

Again, most likely a air craft going sonic, but that is unheard of for us around here. When I was a kid in New Mexico, I used to hear that sound all the time.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Keep us updated if you find out anything

link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful
Just had a very loud "Boom" at about 5:55 EST, here near Aiken, SC, USA.

Not sure what it was and lasted only a second. It did sound like when an aircraft goes sonic and breaks the sound barrier, but it was enough to literally rattle the windows of my house.

I've never heard that here since 1989 that I have lived here. Military aircraft I have heard go by, normally at high altitude.

Me and my oldest son (who's 21) ran outside and looked, but did not see anything. Variable cloudiness (but no thunder boomers in the area), high winds, and nothing on the local news.

Again, most likely a air craft going sonic, but that is unheard of for us around here. When I was a kid in New Mexico, I used to hear that sound all the time.

I'm sure the US military are testing out new advanced technology for war. That being said, the aircraft ripped through your turf at lightning speed and a few seconds later you heard the aftermath of the speed at which it traveled. I doubt it was a UFO, that technology seems to be quite silent.

Hot topic and very interesting nevertheless. S&F

link   
That is common.
When I lived in Palmdale CA, near EAB we never saw the planes that made the daily sonic booms.
edit on 2/23/12 by Cyprex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
F-22s were making sonic booms in the southwest a few weeks ago. The pilot came on the news and said he was sorry. I was positive I was hearing artillery shells or bombs.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Yah, I have heard before, just never in over 20 years here. I do remember in the navy we had a couple of tomcats do a DT&E with our ship (Detect To Engage), where the jets dive down and come screaming in towards the ship, low to the water, to simulate anti-ship cruise missiles. Was really cool to go out on deck and see them go screaming by at less than 20 feet off the water, heck of a rooster tail following them.

More than likely, a jet is what it is, as there is nothing on local news either. Just very perplexing to hear one happen here. First time for everything though.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

I rarely get sonic booms here. However, I get an occasional giant flash. It's at night and occurs in clear and cloudy nights. It's just a HUGE flash of light in the sky. I always think it's lightning but it never is. I notice it about twice a year. My friends all see it, too, so I'm not crazy.

And it is definitely NOT heat lightning. It happens in all weather and temperatures.
edit on 1/7/12 by Avalessa because: Derp

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I am in Missouri and this morning I heard a tremendous sonic boom that shook the house and rattled the windows. It scared my dogs so badly they went and hid in the laundry room. It was quite a bit louder than the typical sonic booms I hear at my home. It felt more like when someone is setting off dynamite. It was skerrie..

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Okay, about 10 minutes ago, I could hear military jet aircraft flying overhead at high altitude, so more than likely it was them that made the sonic boom.

Come to think of it, I've been outside a lot getting our garden ready (we live way out in the woods), and I've been hearing a LOT of them lately.....

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

I read on a blog earlier that people heard the same thing in Hawaii. People in the Puna area of Hawaii Island heard it at approximately 8:42am local time.

Here's an article referred to by the blog:
www.bigislandvideonews.com

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus351

Interesting, but they are 5 hours behind me, so that was much earlier (would have been 1:32 pm here).

I'd rather it be those strange sky sounds. I've got my video cam right here, and those are long enough i could have recorded it.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Hunter Airfield in Savannah GA has ramped up training exercises and I had similar experience with this over the weekend. Probably same thing happening over at Ft Gordon.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Maybe that satellite that the WikiLeaks documents are talking about has entered the atmosphere. The shuttle always caused a sonic boom upon re-entry.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Avalessa

I rarely get sonic booms here. However, I get an occasional giant flash. It's at night and occurs in clear and cloudy nights. It's just a HUGE flash of light in the sky. I always think it's lightning but it never is. I notice it about twice a year. My friends all see it, too, so I'm not crazy.

And it is definitely NOT heat lightning. It happens in all weather and temperatures.
edit on 1/7/12 by Avalessa because: Derp

A weird phenomenon indeed....kind of relates to this news story...

Storm cells could have been nearby and the lightning traveled across the clear sky before finding a ground nearby to strike on....Good thing you were okay and not injured

edit on 23-2-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mretgis

Perhaps the boys at Shaw AFB in Sumter were playing tag also.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
While I was outside today (working in my garden) at about 4pm CST I heard really loud planes. I looked everywhere and saw nothing at first, then finally saw 2 planes really high up flying overhead. There is an air force base close by so planes aren't unusual, they were just notably loud.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I really do personally believe that it was just a aircraft going sonic. It is not uncommon for the air force to do such things especially when its that late at night.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I live near Greenville/Spartanburg, SC, and on the 13th, there was a loud boom in the early morning hours. I slept through it, unfortunately, but it turned out to be a small meteor. Any reports of any being found in your area?

Upstate Meteor

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by fiendchikx138

I saw that article and the security camera footage is cool to look at of that thing!

No, my "boom" I heard was military jets holding training exercises. They don't normally break the sound barrier around here, so it was a surprise.

top topics

join