It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin Activist Arrested For Silently Holding A Sign Saying “Stephen Colbert”

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Wisconsin Activist Arrested For Silently Holding A Sign Saying “Stephen Colbert”

I entered the Assembly and upon my arrival, as is customary, the number of police went from two to three. Usually I walk in to a clear gallery with anywhere between five and seven police, all waiting for me to hold my sign or film. Today there were three and in a separate gallery so I was intrigued. I pulled out my sign which was an eight and a half by eleven sheet of paper that simply read “Stephen Colbert”. My first intent was to reiterate that they have been ridiculed for many of the things they have done this year. The second was to see if Bill Kramer truly thought Colbert’s name should be illegal. The answer was yes. The page actually allowed me to hold my sign for a while as seven more police popped up out of nowhere. He then asked me to put down my sign to which I politely refused stating it was a political statement and protected under the First Amendment. He then motioned to the officer who asked me to leave. I tied him up in questions for a good minute or two then left with the officers after being informed I was under arrest. I was taken to the basement where the officers informed me I was being arrested for Disorderly Conduct for refusing the order of an officer.

The new America - where holding up an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper with "Stephen Colbert" written on it can get you arrested. He didn't utter a word. He didn't create any commotion or violent actions. Wonder where the staunch defenders of the First Amendment are now - instead of rallying for the rights of corporations to buy our elections perhaps they can defend this guy's silent protest of holding up a small sign?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Sounds like an abuse of power rather than a coordinated effort to kill free speech in America.
edit on 23-2-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

can you be arrested for being stupid? That would be the only logical answer... Since he watches the Colbert Report...

you know all that jazz... Biased media is bias

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

[Editor's Note: Donations made through this post go to the author, not the website]

Nice money making scheme here.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DrNotforhire

What biased media are you referring to?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Colbert Report and the daily show

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Well, I guess they have to draw the line somewhere right?

These "radicals" start with standard office paper, but are sure to move on to carrying cardboard, then paper clips... and it doesn't stop there, pretty soon they're using felt markers to make everybody high. Then, they start to get a hold of staplers... now, I don't need to tell you what kind of extreme motives one can go to using a stapler!

If our freedoms are to be protected, these psychos MUST be blacklisted from Staples and Office Depot altogether... honestly, I don't see any other way that our democracy can possibly survive!

Seriously... bringing a piece of paper to a public office, what a freekin' nutjob!

the Billmeister

p.s.
Sorry... but such utterly ridiculous stories make me go a little overboard on the sarcasm meter!

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrNotforhire

can you be arrested for being stupid? That would be the only logical answer... Since he watches the Colbert Report...

you know all that jazz... Biased media is bias

Can you please translate this? I have no idea what it means....

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Well.. that's dumb. What do you think they are biased towards?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Satirist news that is not intended to be taken as news is not "media", no matter how many people treat it as such.

Enjoying said satire, does not make one stupid.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

not even bias... that was being nice....

STRAIGHT UP telling people to change truthful information

library.osu.edu...

thats just one... people think its a joke... some dont and actually do this... that's why we are in this mess... this generation....

link   
I would of course like to see the arrest report to back up at least part of the story.
More helpful would be any video taping that went on to corroborate his story.
I was just sitting peacefully quite often means he was yelling and causing a fuss to try and basically troll the event...

Not that I completely disbelieve the account...but for now, its just a random story on the net with no supporting evidence. I could say I was beaten down by newt gingrich at a town hall meeting he did because I rolled my eyes...and nobody should believe me unless I produce evidence.

So ya, gonna wait for evidence on this, or any claim.

this is coming from a liberal also, so don't think I am waving some GOP flag with the comment.

link   

Colbert and Stewart have no responsibility to remove their biases from their television programs.

They aren't professional journalists, they aren't even politicians, they're COMEDIANS. Yes, how dare comedians use the partisan biases of American politics for humor and satire, clearly only STUPID people enjoy such satirical skewering right?

As to the OP while I respect this mans freedom of speech I don't think he was arrested based on the content of the sign. In other words it wasn't the words "Stephen Colbert" that got him arrested, it was the supposed "disorderly conduct". Interesting to me was the "disobeying the order of an officer" aspect of it, I wasn't aware that we were all subservient to police and meant to follow their orders under penalty of law.

Also the man wasn't silent, the story says that he tied someone up for a minute or so with questions after being asked to leave. So it seems to me that after being asked to put down the sign he refused and then he ended up disrupting the whole thing by tying someone up with questions.

edit on 23-2-2012 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

library.osu.edu...

thats just one... people think its a joke... some dont and actually do this... that's why we are in this mess... this generation....

The point of that segment is to show how wikipedia should not be used as a source for information..many politicians and such think wikipedia is some uber scientific source of 100% accurate information.

Go to any university..the rule is, when doing research, that you cannot use wikipedia as a source. Because it can be edited and overlooked be any
Wiki is leads only..you gain a bit of a understanding of a subject, but if you want accurate information, you jump from there to credible information sources...bit like ATS...you get leads here, not truth.

Your problem, it seems, is an inability to understand sarcastic humor that points out a very relevant issue.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Apparently you missed the point he was making about how the Bush crew at the time we're lying about Iraq and continually changing stories as they continually got caught, as well as the unreliability of Wikipedia as a source of information.
edit on 2/23/2012 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

library.osu.edu...

The point of that segment is to show how wikipedia should not be used as a source for information..many politicians and such think wikipedia is some uber scientific source of 100% accurate information.

Go to any university..the rule is, when doing research, that you cannot use wikipedia as a source. Because it can be edited and overlooked be any
Wiki is leads only..you gain a bit of a understanding of a subject, but if you want accurate information, you jump from there to credible information sources...bit like ATS...you get leads here, not truth.

Your problem, it seems, is an inability to understand sarcastic humor that points out a very relevant issue.

No, my problem is this.... People assuming that stories about colbert are automatically true... Like in this case, wheres the evidence???? You asked for it yourself.. I was doing the same thing... It's something called subtlety to see how people are going to act... I know people who will respond to this thread are leftists therefore I won't even try to get my point across right away... I'm building a case, People will take things he says seriously (example being that Wiki thing) NOT everyone is as smart as you
remember that...

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I would of course like to see the arrest report to back up at least part of the story.

I stood up for my rights knowing this so I was prepared with all of my meds and a plan so my dog got walked while I was in jail. At the end of the phone call, the officers said that, given as I didn’t resist, they would unarrest me and ban me from the Gallery. This actually happens quite a bit here in Wisconsin. And so the fight continues.

Take it as you will.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

Satirist news that is not intended to be taken as news is not "media", no matter how many people treat it as such.

Its almost unnerving that some people don't understand what you have stated. But, its a double edged sword mind you. The "dangerous" thing about TDS and CR is that they edge on the truth quite often...always in a funny light of course, but still enough to where they can be taken seriously. Well, serious enough to be considered a lead anyhow.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Colbert is a hoot. He stuffed the ballot on NASA to name a module after him. They ended up naming an exercise machine after him.

Maybe it would be better if he wore a Colbert T-shirt rather than hold the sign. Just asking for trouble.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

Its almost unnerving that some people don't understand what you have stated. But, its a double edged sword mind you. The "dangerous" thing about TDS and CR is that they edge on the truth quite often...always in a funny light of course, but still enough to where they can be taken seriously. Well, serious enough to be considered a lead anyhow.

A recent study showed that the 18-24 generation primarily gets their news from one of these two shows... They have no clue whats going on in the real world. No idea about politics, no idea about foreign policy, no idea about economics.... That's just my opinion though... Im able to debate anyone (in person) who watches that show.. and send them off in an anger due to their lack of ACTUAL knowledge

top topics

<<   2 >>

join