It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Optical illusion, can't find any full explanation on how it works for this one

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Yeah, I know, it's very likely a trick of lights and shadows, but how exactly was it done?

Thoughts?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
If it is not photoshop then the hand is not close to the bars and the hand's shadow is below the white. The light is coomning from above.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Hmmm, from the angle of the shadow, it looks like the light source comes from an angle, bypassing the hand, maybe?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
The fact that the letter show up clearly in the shadow says that it isn't a genuine shadow.

My other thought was that the apparatus or whatever has a duplicate poking out the other side of that white surface, and that the shadow is actually on the other side.

Other than that, I have nothing. I'll try looking again and seeing what I come up with.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Yep. I think I have it now.

The shadow on the white surface, if you examine the shapes the keys make, is very significantly off. This means the light comes from an extreme angle...if this were so, it could mean the hand is either not in the direct path of the light, or the hand's shadow is being cast elsewhere.

My other theory is that the apparatus is not being viewed from an angle, but is actually being viewed dead-on, and the apparatus itself is angled, but viewed to appear as though it's the camera that's angled. Thus, the hand appears to be directly behind it, but is actually off to the side, which means the light is hitting the apparatus, but not the hand.

This wold also explain the incongruency of the actual shape of the keys, and the shape of the shadow keys.
edit on CThursdaypm090904f04America/Chicago23 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
light source coming from below, shooting up, hitting a mirror, and reflecting back and backwards onto the wall would be my guess.

also the mirror is convex (or is that concave..whatever, its a innie). to flip the vertical and horizontal together

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
light source coming from below, shooting up, hitting a mirror, and reflecting back and backwards onto the wall would be my guess.

also the mirror is convex (or is that concave..whatever, its a innie). to flip the vertical and horizontal together

That doesn't explain the hand's lack of shadow.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
The exact replica is on the other side of the sheet where the light source is creating the shadow. Next.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by imawlinn
The exact replica is on the other side of the sheet where the light source is creating the shadow. Next.

That's what I said. Thing is, it's wrong. The shadow in the background clearly show the forearm and upper arm casting shadow. If the "replica" theory were the case, there would be no light to cast that shadow.

In conclusion, we can confirm the light is on this side of the white surface.
edit on CThursdaypm282813f13America/Chicago23 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

link   
The hand is flat against the wall.

Light source coming from above.

link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

`The shadow and the light are painted on the wall me thinks...

Peace

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

I think we have a winner
, yes?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

Originally posted by imawlinn

That's what I said.

Gotta love plagiarizers...

geez I posted before reading all replies. Shot me why don't ya.
Great minds think alike lol
edit on 23-2-2012 by imawlinn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
The "shadow" isn't a shadow. It's painted on the wall, as is the circle of "light"

For one thing, it doesn't quite match the keys' configuration. It's probably a concept art piece in a museum wall.

That's my theory anyhow. So, that's why there'd be no hand in the "shadow"

My other thought was that the apparatus or whatever has a duplicate poking out the other side of that white surface, and that the shadow is actually on the other side.

Could be. It'd have to be a translucent surface that they are affixed to, but possible.
edit on 23-2-2012 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

But that's cheating
Is this a Chris Angel illusion?

ETA: Wait, there's no cheating in illusions I guess, but if it is painted, I still feel cheated.

edit on 23-2-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
reply to post by DaTroof

I think we have a winner
, yes?

No, we don't. The hand would still be casting shadow beneath it, unless it has some form of complete cover. The fact there is no shadow anywhere around the hand states that either this is photoshopped, or the hand is not actually in the path of the light.

The shadow of an arm in the background says the hand is in fact near the light, though not necessarily in its path. Also, the slight blurriness of the posts connecting to the white surface says that (again, unless photoshopped) there is significant distance between the wall and the hand, which is in similar focus to the frontal section of the apparatus.

The only possible explanation of the apparatus is not exactly as it appears to be, thus my theory that the apparatus is constructed to look like it's at an angle, but in fact it's perfectly straight, and the hand is off to the side. A narrow beam of light would miss the hand but catch the apparatus...

Interestingly, I'm a little puzzled as to how the arm can cast a shadow, but the hand doesn't.

Regardless, I'm convinced no one here (including me) has a conclusive answer.

Carry on.
edit on CThursdaypm444418f18America/Chicago23 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Non the less an optical illusion, like this one..

Peace

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

You can clearly see where the black rods poke through the white surface. You can clearly see light peaking through too. My theory is correct.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
The "shadow" isn't a shadow. It's painted on the wall, as is the circle of "light"

For one thing, it doesn't quite match the keys' configuration. It's probably a concept art piece in a museum wall.

That's my theory anyhow. So, that's why there'd be no hand in the "shadow"

Could be. It'd have to be a translucent surface that they are affixed to, but possible.
edit on 23-2-2012 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

I thought of the painting idea too, but that felt like cheating. It's been done before, though.

Besides, they'd have to be pretty darn good to get the shading and the shape just right. Also, its not a circle of light. It's a physical surface (from what we can tell
)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Doh dp...
edit on 23-2-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join