It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dow and Monsanto Join Forces to Poison America's Heartland (IMPORTANT)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Related Thread

Millions Of Pounds Of TOXIC POISON To Flood US Farmland

This is an EXTREMELY important topic.

A true match made in hell.

In a match that some would say was made in hell, the nation's two leading producers of agrochemicals have joined forces in a partnership to reintroduce the use of the herbicide 2,4-D, one half of the infamous defoliant Agent Orange, which was used by American forces to clear jungle during the Vietnam War. These two biotech giants have developed a weed management program that, if successful, would go a long way toward a predicted doubling of harmful herbicide use in America's corn belt during the next decade.

Please take a look at the thread i linked as well.
This goes into detail about what the herbicide 2,4-D is, what it does, how badly it has been regulated, how much is used and how toxic it really is!

The problem for corn farmers is that "superweeds" have been developing resistance to America's best-selling herbicide Roundup, which is being sprayed on millions of acres in the Midwest and elsewhere. Dow Agrosciences has developed a strain of corn that it says will solve the problem. The new genetically modified variety can tolerate 2,4-D, which will kill off the Roundup-resistant weeds, but leave the corn standing. Farmers who opt into this system will be required to double-dose their fields with a deadly cocktail of Roundup plus 2,4-D, both of which are manufactured by Monsanto.

Seriously who still would want to eat that?
A crop that survives one of the most toxic and potent herbicides known to man.
Yuk...enjoy your dinner.

But this plan has alarmed environmentalists and also many farmers, who are reluctant to reintroduce a chemical whose toxicity has been well established. The use of 2,4-D is banned in several European countries and provinces of Canada. The substance is a suspected carcinogen, which has been shown to double the incidence of birth defects in the children of pesticide applicators in a study conducted by University of Minnesota pathologist Vincent Garry.

Alongside many other adverse effects.
This stuff is nasty and spells trouble.

I know exactly how this is going to go.
Much like the german people after WWII. 'wir haben es nicht gewusst'

Researchers say that the effect of 2,4-D on human health is still not fully understood. But it may be a risk factor for conditions like Hodgkin's lymphoma, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and certain leukemias, which were often found in Vietnam veterans exposed to Agent Orange. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has stated that the chemical could have "endocrine disruption potential" and interfere with the human hormonal system. It may prove toxic to honeybees, birds and fish, according to research conducted by the US Forest Service and others. In 2004, a coalition of groups spearheaded by the Natural Resources Defense Council and the Pesticide Action Network, wrote a letter to the EPA taking it to task for underestimating the health and environmental impacts of 2,4-D.

The effects not fully understood...
So why the HELL is allowed to spray massive amounts of these chemicals on our food?

(from 1996-2008 338 MILLION TONNES of herbicides have been used on your crops, with the new 2,4-D crops that is expected to double)

Large-scale industrial farming has grown dependent on ever-increasing applications of agrochemicals. Some have compared this to a drug addict who requires larger and larger fixes to stay high. Herbicide use has increased steadily over time as weeds develop resistance and need to be doused with more and deadlier chemicals to kill them. This, in turn. requires more aggressive genetic engineering of crops that can withstand the escalating chemical assault.

Many agricultural scientists warn that this growing addiction to agrochemicals is unsustainable in the long run. The fertility of the soil decreases as earthworms and vital microorganisms are killed off by pesticides and herbicides. They also pollute the groundwater and compromise the health of farm animals that are fed with the chemical-infused grain.

That is your and mine drinking water.
Not only that but the drinking water of your CHILDREN and children's children.

There are viable alternatives to chemical-intensive farming, time-tested methods like crop rotation, use of cover crops, and other practices which allow farmers to compete naturally with weeds. The time has come for farmers to revive the knowledge of their ancestors in this regard.

So why are we still messing around with these chemicals? (rhetorical question because i know the answer is money)

People are we going to let them get away with this?

This is mass poisining.

source

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I guess all we can do besides physically protest is convey our concerns via avenues directly to those involved.
www.usda.gov...
www.monsanto.com...
I just wonder if this would place us on some list or not? Sheesh, who'd a thought freedom would be so risk'e?
I wonder what the farmers think about this too? Surely they have some sway in determining their practices, but I suspect they are tied to gov contracts that force some things upon the industry.

spec

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Actually the consumers can do something. Instead of lobbying the Government and Monsanto lobby their customers.
Take away the profit they will find something else to develop death technology for. Sound like a plan?
If hackers or some other friends of the people perhaps even one of the senators they have in thir back pockets could see the errors off their ways and source their customers lists people would have a client base to lobby.
While it is not necessary for them to package gmo food with warnings anymore there can be independent bodies who could certify organic food. Celebrate them promote organic food at the grass roots encourage your friends and family to do the same.
Organic food is better for you and does taste better learning ot identify low cost organic trademarks is an important education for all consumers
edit on 23-2-2012 by Shirak because: add more

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Having to rely on petrochemicals to do the work that hands and sweat have done for thousands of years will be part of our undoing I am sure of it. I am not going to say its laziness, its more a factor of having crops that are too large to be overseen by people, which in turn causes an over-reliance on machines and chemicals.

You know what else kills weeds dead? Boiled water. Simple plain old h2o, piping hot, poured like so much tar from the castle battlements. Ever seen what boiled spinach looks like? Not a pretty site. It is how I've cleared the cracks on my sidewalk for years and instead of polluting the ground it actually cleans it! Wow! Patent office here i come. However when you have like we do in parts of the state I hail from, farm fields that span thousands of acres doing it the old fashioned way is impossible.

Time to rethink massive industrial farming not create new poisons. I made a thread a while back about some folks who might be able to share a thing or two with us. Ill repost the documentary here, it is an excellent example of how empiric, blind, and greedy these corporations are even in a place where their help is neither needed nor wanted.

Everyone should know this information and really understand what is happening. What good it will do is a whole other thread.

thnks for the info OP, your threads are always educational S&F

edit on 23-2-2012 by clowdstalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
The roots of the cannabis plant are known for killing weeds. I guess growing that along side corn is just to dangerous compared to agent orange. Oh well. Death is coming.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Or more likely to make farmers dependent on Monsanto GMO BS.

2.4D is very persistent in the environment, you will not be able to grow anything else on the field for 2 years after the dose. This means that farmers could not grow anything else except the GMO corn. If the company wants to increase profit all they have to do is restrict the sale of seeds to farmers and force them either to pay up or go out of business. Do this enough you could create a mass famine!

I strongly suggest you start growing a garden if you want fresh veggies. A very efficient outdoor hydroponics system could be built for under $100 that can give you enough fresh lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, green beans, and other niceties to last the season. Most of the staples unfortunately require a lot of space and don't grow well without a lot of fertilizer.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

I think that the introduction of GMO to the food chain (genetically modified organisms) is corruption or stupidity at its worst..(or should I say best)

People should really make an effort to learn about this subject because it is bad...really, really bad.

edit on 23/2/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by eywadevotee
I strongly suggest you start growing a garden if you want fresh veggies. A very efficient outdoor hydroponics system could be built for under $100 that can give you enough fresh lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, green beans, and other niceties to last the season. Most of the staples unfortunately require a lot of space and don't grow well without a lot of fertilizer.

^^ This ^^

This brings up another good point about what we can learn from indigenous farming practices right here in the US. Look up the three sisters method of planting which began with the Haudenosaunee tribe but was used in practice by many Native American groups in the four corners area like the Hopi and Navajo.

It is the antithesis of the western practice of over planting single staple crops year after year. Ever wonder why the squash blossom is so ubiquitous in the American southwest? It is not just that it was a fertility symbol, the importance is Why it was a fertility symbol in the first place. The three sisters planting technique ensured food if a crop staple failed...the plants protected each other, grew fruitfully, and sustained the people without a single drop of chemical fertilizers or herbicides on less than 8 inches of rain a year in the hottest climate in the country.

The three sisters by the way are Corn, Squash, and Beans. History can teach us a thing or two if we let it, I just hope we wont have to learn a lesson down the road the hard way with the plan Monsanto has put in place.

If we really want to grow corn the right way, we really need look no further than this:

edit on 23-2-2012 by clowdstalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by clowdstalker

Thanks for that I had never heard of the 3 sisters before (Im an Ausie)
I have a live an let live policy with weeds in the hope that the bugs might eat them instead. Problem being The aphids and scale destroy my yearly citrus crop and the Caterpillars Eat all my grape vines. Now I understand I need the butterflies in the spring and summer to pollinate my citrus so I usually just move them however IT would be good to get a regional complimentary plant guide (Like the 3 sisters.)
Easy to grow companion plants that either move the bugs on or that the bugs prefer.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

i think these links on agent orange/dioxin already being used and causing cancer fit in here
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
and this illuminati card www.abovetopsecret.com...
and this about the amazon www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TheGuyFawkes

People hardly give this thread attention now.

Can you imagine how manu responses i would've gotten if i posted this info in one of those threads?

I think none.

top topics

join