It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 Marines Killed In Helicopter Crash.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
What makes this so terrible is that it was a training accident. People often forget how dangerous the training in the military can be, let alone in combat. My heart goes out to the families of these Marines.

www.chicagotribune.com...

PHOENIX (Reuters) - Two U.S. military helicopters collided during a training exercise along the Arizona-California border, killing seven Marines, the Marine Corps said on Thursday.

The aircraft, an AH-1W Cobra and a UH-1Y Huey, were conducting night-time training operations when the accident occurred about 8 p.m. local time Wednesday.

The Marines said initially the crash occurred over the Yuma Training Range Complex but a Marine Corps spokesman later clarified that it happened just beyond the complex on the California side of the border.

Here is another source for the story.

www.washingtonpost.com...

The helicopters that collided — an AH-1W “Cobra” and a UH-1Y “Huey” — were conducting routine training operations around 8 p.m. Wednesday in a remote area of the Yuma complex, the Marine Corps said in a statement Thursday. Both helicopters belonged to the the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing.

edit on 23/2/12 by usmc0311 because: added content.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
That's what happens when you sign up for the military. It's not worth it kids. Being a marine now in days is like being the bad Guy instead of the hero.
edit on 23-2-2012 by CaLyps0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
My son-in-law flies Blackhawks for the Army. When I see these stories I always feel so horrible. Most people don't realize (and I didn't either until I was informed) that helicopters are not easy to fly, and one little mistake can mean instant death.

Thanks for the post.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaLyps0
That's what happens when you sign up for the military. It's not worth it kids. Being a marine now in days is like being the bad Guy instead of the hero.

I think it was a freak accident atmost. RIP to the sent
edit on 2/23/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Can we get their names, so we can honor them properly?

I don't support the military, but I say that for each one of those marines that was in the helicopters, there's at least two dozen men and women here that would be too chicken to go up in those things.

They had the gonads, and they went for the ride of their lives...unfortunately.

Let's have those names, and give a grand salute!

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

That's what happens when you sign up for the military.

Your bias is showing....

A collision could have ocurred anywhere, imagine this had been an air show or any number of other situations in which air collisions kill people.

RIP to those who passed and thoughts to their families.

edit on 23-2-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

That's what happens when you sign up for the military.

Your bias is showing....

A collision could have ocurred anywhere, imagine this had been an air show or any number of other situations in which air collisions kill people.

edit on 23-2-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

The most inspiring part is they are doing this for other people (hopefully), not just themselves.

Yes, they do get paid...but honestly, when you have a chance of these things happening, it takes more than some green to get your posterior in that helicopter. It takes passion!

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

My thoughts and prayers to their families and friends on their loss. My friend, I know you didn't train with them but my thoughts and prayers with you as well. It is never good to lose a friend you never met.

I also liked the poem thread, we both know why.

Clypso, Just go troll elsewhere, please.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I know the pilot of the AH-1 involved. Names will be released as soon as all next of kin are notified. This was an accident, pure and simple. God rest your soul, Tommy. Your family here in Florida is heartbroken, but their your faith is their greatest comfort right now. We'll meet on the other side. Rest, brother.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Spoken like a true coward. Say that to a Marine face to face, not on an internet message board.

Rest In Peace Marines. Our fallen brothers and sisters will take good care of you!

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
When the names are released I will post each one individually in this thread with a short bio for everyone to see. Helicopters are very dangerous to both train and operate in. I have had a few close calls myself. For any Marine on this site you know what I mean when I say that we lost 7 of our family members in this incident. Our brothers may be gone but their memory will live on in the Corps forever. Semper Fi.

As for those who wish to come on here with the intent to bash, or scrutinize the military; remember that the topic of this thread is about a helicopter crash, so think what it will look like when you come on here and berate or attack us. If you wish to add your feelings or thoughts in a mature manner then please do, I welcome all thoughts. Good day to all.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Sounds like 8 marines just got drafted into Seal Team 6 or some other top secret group.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

To the first part, I agree the military is dangerous, but as long as those who choose to serve have a pretty good picture of the dangers they may face then all the more power to them to choose to sacrifice so much for their ideals.

To the second part that may be, but the men and women on the ground are absolutley not at fault. I don't think you meant it that that way, but I see where you are coming from relating to foreign policy. It is my opinion that he government is betraying the honorable men and women of our armed forces through these pointless conflicts. The people who give so much to the military in large part do it to uphold an ideal of freedom and justice.

Relating to the thread in general, my heart goes out to the family and friends of these fine Marines. Semper Fi

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
My son-in-law flies Blackhawks for the Army. When I see these stories I always feel so horrible. Most people don't realize (and I didn't either until I was informed) that helicopters are not easy to fly, and one little mistake can mean instant death.

Thanks for the post.

Makes you wonder why they even use them when we have the tech for so much more.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I almost (and everybody else in the helicopter) got to be eaten up in the rotor blades of a CH-53 Sea Stallion once. It's a big helicopter. We were down in Florida doing some filming and due to the nature of the filming we went in HMX-1 white top huey's.

First let me say, those bastards could fly the hell out of the helicopters. They have to be good pilots because they have to haul the presidents ass around. While we were down there the Captain used to get a thrill out of messing with me. I spent most of the time with my feet outside the helicopter on the running gear and my butt on the edge with the wing door off. Lol, he enjoyed it because I was scared of heights. Putting the helicopter through extreme maneuvers and me hanging ass in the wind sure made his day.

Anyway, one day a grunt butter bar wanted a ride and the Captain was more than willing to show off. He pulled the helo up and back hard for a few seconds, then the nose swung around. What the captain didn't know was a CH-53 was coming down behind us. When the nose came around we were all looking up at the 53 flared out coming in for a landing. He pulled hard and time just about froze for me. I just remember looking down into the rotors and rotor head of that 53 as we went over it and I felt the huey get sucked down and lose lift a little as we cleared the 53. I was out over the edge of the huey with a front row seat. The captain wasn't laughing btw. We all, including the CH-53 pilots and crew I'm sure, observed a protracted moment of silence.

This kind of thing happens more often than you realize. Men that excise all the time, full of testosterone, playing with big expensive and powerful toys.

top topics

join