It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Gun: DU Weapons Used Against U.S. Army In Iraq?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing
That doesn't look like DU damage to me, there isn't any "melted" metal at the point of entry, it looks more "torn" than melted. Of course the tank crew is being harmed by the very armor being used to protect them (or rather protect the tank, people are much less expensive) as evidenced in the first gulf war where radiation sickness was called "gulf war syndrome".
gulf war syndrome? good definition.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by thorfourwinds

Sounds like an older nano composite slug. Idealy a gold/plasma cutting charge could slice through feet of that armour as quickly as a camera flash, but that does not fit the discription. Any of those methods would leave clues that would be apparent in a spectrographic analysis, even with the background interference from DU. If the DoD has not identifient the projectile by now, it is because they know exactly what IT is.

DU is far from the miracle alloy it is peddled as. Getting the public to pay billions for radio active waste is what makes it truly unique.

AX
FTNWO

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
sorry but the gulf war syndrome was absolutely not because of DU.

UK and US troops got GWS.
but french troops did not. The only one confirmed case of a french soldier getting GWS was a french trooper that was assigned to a US unit during the war
The french were not subjected to to organophosphate pesticides or to the inoculations given to American and British troops.
Americans and British, by contrast, got a total of 33 inoculations plus anti-nerve gas agent pills in addition to being dowsed with organophosphate pesticides.
www.purewatergazette.net...
www.nytimes.com...

The french were exposed to DU and may have even fired DU as the french have there own DU weapons but the french have never confirmed they have used them

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Very odd. Many responders seemed to miss that the diameter of the hole made was comparable to that of a pencil which rules out many munitions like an RPG, EFP (they are much larger in diameter), and so on...

The report says that it dug a hole about one and a half inches into the hull (after exiting the turret?), I take it the round was not in that hole? It did not fully exit the hull?

The TC of second tank says the "launch point" appeared to be about 100 meters away, does that mean he witnessed a muzzle flash of some sort?

I'm impressed by the damage done by it whatever it is, that small, I can't speculate as to what it was.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Sarcastically.... it was the "golden BB" bullet that penetrated the tank hull.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I am thinking well outside the box here, as there were no fires caused by the projectile, I'm thinking a nickle cored meteorite strike, all the crud burnt off during its flight through the atmosphere, just leaving the red hot nickle core traveling at 30.000 feet per second, one unlucky strike, say a trillion to one?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
If you read the actual PDF it become more and more obvious what the projectile was. The "MFR" is very suspicious though. it shouldn't be a MFR at all, it should be a Memorand For: Individual or Specific Office. The subject line is missing. The date time groups are all in the wrong format. The verbiage is in direct violation of regulations regarding military correspondence. The location is not in grid format using a location such as a city name is a "No Go". It reads like a civilian faked it with good research into nsn's. Where the heck is the signature block?

In RE to my previous post:
FLIPL is a process to remove materials from inventory without a negative impact on the unit's budget.
DA Form 2160 is a sworn statement and the first thing that a Soldier who is not receiving medical care will do upon returning to the FOB or COB.
SITREPs are a collaboration of the intelligence group of battalion and special unit teams

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Here's another picture with a similar "pin-sized hole".

img23.echo.cx...

In this picture, an RPG-7 hit the skirt . The round that hit this tank was either a PG-7V, the most common HEAT round available in Iraq, or the larger PG-7VL. No one really knows for sure.

No tank, not even the M1 can take anti-tank weapon hits to the side or rear and expect to come out unscathed. It's the nature of the beast, tanks were not designed for urban combat, they're were designed to charge across an open field with their fronts facing the target.

The TUSK upgrade package adds ERA to the side skirts, because RPG's were scoring kills, the ERA should consistently stop anything less than a PG-7VR.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by pikestaff
I am thinking well outside the box here, as there were no fires caused by the projectile, I'm thinking a nickle cored meteorite strike, all the crud burnt off during its flight through the atmosphere, just leaving the red hot nickle core traveling at 30.000 feet per second, one unlucky strike, say a trillion to one?

And this meteroite was flying parallel to the ground which allowed it to strike through the Abrams, perpendicular to its armour?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I dont know guys. There are rounds that can penetrate an M1A1 - but those rounds would cause the crew to know for a fact that something big just made contact with their tank. The rest of the section should have seen the incoming round , they aint hard to miss under any circumstance.

The M1A2 SEP TUSK V2 package pretty made the M1 series the king of all modern tanks. The Trophy system pretty much disables any rocket round in bound for the tank.

I am going to be honest with you ... that looked more like ATR type damage ...

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

My conclusion is based on a study done after the first Gulf war, if I can remember the source or author in the next day or two I'll post it here. I wasn't aware of the French variable so thank you for that information.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

I know of one weapon that could easily do all that.

world.guns.ru...

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

couldn´t resist

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by HattoriHanzou

I know of one weapon that could easily do all that.

world.guns.ru...

Greetings:

Thank you for your time and participation.

We have been on the sidelines observing (and tending other gardens) and thank all the more-qualified respondents who have voiced their opinion.

Great find!

Now, how would someone who would have the temerity and "reason" to shoot at a US tank get possession of such a weapon?

Peace Love Light
tfw
[align=center][color=magenta]Liberty & Equality or Revolution[/align]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join