Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Butterflies in February?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Is this normal or what, I thought butterflies come around in the spring? Im in the Northeast of the U.S. too so it should still be considerably cold around now, usaully snowing still. Also have to note it was 61° out today, been a pretty warm winter. Anybody else think this is strange or if you can explain it to me.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Brandon88

Nothing out of the ordinary here.

Here's a couple butterflies common in February in the UK

www.warwickshire-butterflies.org.uk...

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

That's what I was looking for I wasn't sure if it was common thing or not. Was pretty sure at least a few species are around this early.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I am in the Northeast of the USA too and it the weather is unusual. It is like Spring and should be very cold this time of year. I havn't seen any butterflies but there are plants that have started to sprout up that shouldn't sprout until Spring.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Same with the vegetation around me the trees are budding, the bushes are growing back in already, along with patchs of really thick grass. It all started coming in at the beginning of the month.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
In Sweden it was -1 F (20-C) 1 week ago, and now it's 49F (7+ C).
Isn't that a very swift change?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Normally I'd be under a foot of snow or at the very least very cold rainy days, yet here I am, staring out my backdoor at a green yard and blooming trees. La Nina indeed.

edit on 23-2-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Will955

Sounds like Kansas when she gets pretty crazy. We'll have snow on the ground one day and the next it is shorts and t-shirt weather. For the past long while things have been pretty damned stable for Kansas weather, factoring out the arctic oscillation ( which is causing periods of cold weather punctuated by warmer weather. Sounds like your situation.) and la nina's crazy warmness

Also I think I saw an ant colony swarming the other day, where they hatch hundreds of reproductive males and females and they go fly crazy and mate. Normally a late spring thing, methinks
edit on 23-2-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Will955

Not as severe of a change around here but goes from around mid 60's to 30's on a semi weekly basis. Maybe once it snowed where the snow actually stuck, the rest was just flurries or wet snow.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

Thats what I mean this is my birthday month and usually around now there is some type of snow, but nope don't get me wrong I don't mind it. Just makes me think of how the summer temps are going to be.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Mkoll

Insect life too I've been seeing bugs all winter it's like it never even frosted.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Haven't seen any butterflies around here (not many in my area anyway)

I'm near Canada's only desert and the last 2-3 years have had some very unusual and inconsistent weather.

It was -30* and extremely windy for maybe 2 weeks right around the new year. I had no running water for 4 days. (fun)

Fast forward a few weeks and now it it's a new ball game. Yesterday I was out in the yard and the sun actually felt hot when you stepped out of the shade... very odd

We've had trouble with the garden the last 3 years as well. There just hasn't been enough sun/heat through the summer for a lot of things to really get going... stunted peppers, tomatoes, corn.... hoping for a better yield this year

edit on 23-2-2012 by HIWATT because: ATS doubling my comments (???)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
[dbl post]

edit on 23-2-2012 by HIWATT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
You may find this interesting:

In fact, the warmest February on record was actually 9.6° above average back in 1976.

Source: www.wjla.com...

So far it is around 7° warmer than average.

Those are statistics for this winter (so far) in the Eastern U.S. I just did a search based on some keywords and did not look any further...except for another related link referenced below.

I think 1932 may stand out as warmer/warmest recorded. Not sure as I am a layperson as far as meteorology.

www.erh.noaa.gov...

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Malcher

For me in my area it's more about the weird inconsistency in the weather, and no so much the overall average rise or fall of temperatures.

We used to have 4 very very distinct seasons here and now that's becoming an anomaly. And this hasn't been a gradual thing. I mean within the last 5 years there seems to have been some weird shift.

It will be very cold for a while in the winter, then suddenly get unseasonably warm (like now), then normalise for a period before another early "warm bump" in the spring, and then followed by a summer than never really takes off. It normally reaches 40-42*C here for a few weeks every summer but the last 3-4 years I don't think we had a week straight where it was over 33 or 34*

That is a HUGE discrepancy

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Brandon88

Exactly. I'm dreading summer. Nothing I hate more than heat and humidity.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

Right, its going to be a steamy sweltering summer. It has looked like it was getting slightly hotter over the last couple of years.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

The fluctuations are part of a warm winter.
edit on 23-2-2012 by Malcher because: Link inaccessible.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Oh, it is spring indeed. We have skipped winter this year.

I'm in Memphis, and not only are we in a rainy, tornadic season already, but today it is almost 80 degrees.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join