It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After TSHTF, what to do with your car?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Whether or not to use a car as a car or as a generic parts resource depends on the fuel availability situation and whether or not the car itself is operable. So let's say it's not practical to try running it anymore.

Obviously it has value as a source of wheels and scrap metal.

A lot of people are going for the alternator, which makes sense. However, I'd keep in mind any wiring and the stereo speakers. The magnets and wire out from speakers could be used as parts for improvising a simple generator if alternators aren't easily found. Some of the small electric motors commonly found in cars may also be of use, possibly being made to work as a generators.

A radio/CD player might be nice for entertainment if it still works, and you have the electricity situation figured out.

Then of course there are all those 12v lightbulbs. If there's enough junked cars around you're likely to get extras which might be a useful trade item.

I'd also snag the mirrors. Never know when those might be handy.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
leaf springs could have many uses. I have a friend who blacksmiths out of his garage/backyard, and has used leaf springs to make some sweet swords, and knives.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by canselmi

Click here for more information.

to you sir. like someone doesnt know what you meant. its those who are sarcastic, and/or dont use common sense who arent going to see, or make it through the shtf. this is a really good thread to keep going, and to flag. I'm sure there are a lot of things people have not thought of here, and reading and sharing that information will help others when things do go sour.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
I would weld it into a cage thenI would use it to keep my sex slaves from getting away. I would tow the car with my mule from post apocoliptic settelment to settelment and pimp out the women, wearing some cool looking googles and a trenchcoat. In the trunk would be the items I took in exchange for my services: Sawed off shotguns and ammo. Under the hood would be a pop up nightclub, complete with shinney disco ball. It would be the base of a new worldwide entertainment network. Wealth would corrupt me and in the end I would be a humble farmer, with lots of sex slaves.

Let me know when you have a tour date schedule.
In some perverted way I want my picture taken with a mule,
that hauls women around all day,
for only hay.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by canselmi

Fuel is an obvious item, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure I have a way to siphon it out. We have a small gas generator so fuel would be nice to have.

Simply get a hose...spit out that first mouthfull though....

A better bet would be an aquarium draining kit...no bad aftertaste that way...

Of course, I'm sure there are survival sites that have taken such kits and repurposed them just for this.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

I would convert it to run on corn liquor. If that didn't work, I would take the alternator and drive belts. Hire Macgyver to mount a bike to it, and power my straightening iron.

reply to post by Gazrok

New cars have a filler tube with a gate over it. You can't just stick a hose in and suck the gas out. Get under your car and look for a bulge in the fill tube to know if you can steal your own gas.
Most of the time you can remove the tube right after the gate, but it can be difficult sometimes.
edit on 19-3-2012 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
first the battery and gas of course would be first but then .....

hoses
lights and bulbs
alternator/generator to be run by wind or water if not EMP affected
you might actually have to use the foam in the seats for insulation
also the car might be a alternative shelter
the trany and motor might salvagable to make another type of transportation
antifreeze/coolant for other purposes
air in the tires if needed....

the batteries (deep cycle best) could be cabled together to make an electric storage unit to operate lights, water pump

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Use it as a mini-mausoleum, but remember to close the windows and cover it with dirt when it's full.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

how about a furnance?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join