It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pre-Columbian Star War Stories Emerge From Stones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Pre-Columbian star war stories have emerged from 23 stone carvings unearthed near the Great Temple in Tenochtitlan, the ancient Aztec center that became Mexico City after the Spanish invasion in 1521.

Providing unique iconographic evidence for Aztec myths, the bas-relief sculptures lay embedded in a strip of floor in front of the Templo Mayor complex, Tenochtitlan's holiest shrine.

Far from being purely decorative, the artistic carvings show symbols of death and crude representations in line with the Aztecs' bloody rituals.

NEWS: Dog of Ancient Aztecs Newest Breed at Westminster

"These carvings are a form of writing. They tell stories of star warriors, captives and human sacrifices," archaeologist Raul Barrera, the director of the excavation, said.

He estimated that the carvings were produced on red and gray volcanic rock some 550 years ago, during the fourth stage of the Templo Mayor's construction (1440-1469), in the reign of Moctezuma I.

Demolished by 16th century conquistadores who described it as "reeking like a slaughterhouse" because of the thousands of ritual killings the Aztecs performed there, the Templo Mayor, or Great Temple, was re-discovered in 1978 by workers digging for electrical lines.

Read the full story here.

Images: Serpent plaque; strip of floor with stone carvings. Credit: National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH).

Never heard before of Huitzilopochtli which myth is closely related to the sky, the stars and the moon.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Here’s an interpretation of what the two lower stone images appear to be, to me.

Left Object:

Jupiter with its four largest moons, Callisto, Europa, Ganymede and Io. Maybe the circular object in the middle could represent the Great Red Spot on Jupiter. This red spot has been observed since the 17th century. The conspiracy surrounding this storm is the idea that a large planetary body has impacted into the surface of Jupiter. The gravity of the impacted object creates the unique red storm around it. - Jupiter, an eater of planets or moons.

Jupiter, fifth planet from the sun.

The four large Galilean moons of Jupiter: Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto

Red Spot on Jupiter with Earth in view for comparison.

Right Object:

A brilliant comet impacts into a planetary body and creates a massive tsunami wave on land or water.

edit on 23-2-2012 by lostinspace because: Changed some wording

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Howdy Lostinspace

Not quite understanding what the connection you're making.

Are you saying that the Meso-americans recorded an asteroid strike on Jupiter???

Be back Monday

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

I'm just making observations purely from a pictorial standpoint. I do not assume the Aztecs had any knowledge of such event. I added this theory because of the myth about the sun eating the moon and the stars.

Related to the origins of this Pre-Columbian culture, the myths "include the concept of a star war" in which the sun obliterates the moon and the stars, Barrera said.
news.discovery.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

This is a Battlestar Galactica prophecy based on the Re-imagined series created by Ronald D. Moore. The circular object seen above is located in structure called The Temple of Five and it is called the Eye of Jupiter. The temple is located on an algae planet surrounded by a highly radioactive star cluster. The temple was built by the 13th tribe that eventually colonized earth. This temple was meant to be a road sign to earth.

The Destiny-The Temple of Five

Algae Planet

The Season 3 BSG episode titled The Eye of Jupiter aired December 15, 2006. This was way before the discovery of these Aztec star wars stones. Did Ronald D. Moore see these ruins in Mexico city before he wrote the material for BSG Season 3?

Eye of Jupiter episode

Season 3 episodes

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by lostinspace

Howdy Lostinspace

Interesting stuff but, what does this Sci-fantasy TV show have to do with Ancient and Lost Civilizations?

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

The original news article, linked in the first post, published Wednesday Feb 22, 2012 said the following detail about the bas-relief discovery.

Pre-Columbian star war stories have emerged from 23 stone carvings unearthed near the Great Temple in Tenochtitlan, the ancient Aztec center that became Mexico City after the Spanish invasion in 1521.

From this I get the impression that the discovery was fairly recent and no prying eyes has seen this since the reign of Moctezuma I. The carvings were thought to have been made during the fourth stage of the Templo Mayor's construction spanning between 1440 and 1469. The Templo Mayor was rediscovered in 1978 when construction crews were digging paths for power lines.

The conspiracy here is the timing of the public announcement of these 23 stone carvings. Were they really available for public view before 2006 or were they uncovered recently? The subplot of the BSG TV series reveals that the discovery of the stones were prior to 2006.

A portion of the artwork on this stone was also in the subplot of the BSG TV series.

The character named Starbuck goes into the afterlife and comes back and has a vision of a unique comet that identifies another marker leading to earth. This is the image she sees in her head.

This mural can be seen in the following episode.
BSG season 4 - The Road Less Traveled

One would have to approach Ronald D. Moore and verify where he obtained the inspiration for this subplot in his TV series. Did he see the images in the OP in a publication prior to 2006 or did they come to him from his own imagination?

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostinspace

I'm just making observations purely from a pictorial standpoint. I do not assume the Aztecs had any knowledge of such event. I added this theory because of the myth about the sun eating the moon and the stars.

Have you looked up any information on Aztec astronomy (like this one) or the belief systems or what the images on the stones represent? There are other images similar to these, I know -- haven't looked them up to see what they are yet but I know they have been found in context with writing.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Thanks for the links Byrd. Some details in the first link you posted presented me with a new idea associated with that first picture I mentioned. The Aztecs believed there were four worlds before the current fifth one. It may be possible that the four small circles represent the four previous worlds and the large one in the center represents the current age. This passage caught my attention.

The Aztecs believed they were living in the fifth and last period, which they called the Era of Movement. They believed that their current world would someday be destroyed by a giant earthquake.

The spiral hash marks could denote earthquake movement within the larger fifth circle.

new topics

top topics

join