It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American troops burn copies of the Koran - deadly riots spread across Afghanistan

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Will they ever learn? The Haditha massacre, Abu Grabe, pissing on the dead. Now they make bonfires of the Koran. All foreigners are now in danger due to the action of a few US soldiers. The Talban have called for the killing of all foreigners. Riots are expected to escalate after tomorrow's Friday prayers. Obama has to issue an apology. Didn't he do that after Terry Jones threatened to burn the book? And how many innocent people were killed following that incident? Will they ever learn? Seems unlikely!

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2104801/Afghanistan-Koran-burning-protests-Effigy-Black-Dog-Obama-set-alight.html]www.dailymail.co.uk[/ur l]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Wow. That was foolish.

What an ignorant bunch of people on both sides.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
How many (millions of) people have Koran and Bible burned?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
A good reason I don't support the troops in spirit.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Afghan children freezing to death.

Displaced Afghans are watching their children literally die from the cold for want of warm clothing and some fuel and adequate shelter. No rioting outrage or condemnation there but burn a book and all hell breaks loose.

The insidious power of religion to enslave the mind and to supress rationality and humanity makes me weep for our species. All book religions that fetishise bits of paper above human life are pathetic. If you require someone to instruct you how to live your life fine go ahead, but the words in your book should be inscribed upon your heart where no-one can touch them, and a book should be seen for what it is. A book, nothing more another container load can be delivered from the publishers tomorrow.
Making an object 'sacred' and taboo only makes it more inviting to 'desecrate and defile' not because of the object ityself but because of the excessive reaction of others to the act.

Is anyone burning books of nursery rhymes? no, because it wont get an hysterical reaction Not reacting to it renders the action pointless and it wouldn't be done.
How many people have died throughout human history because words written on paper are placed above the sanctity of life itself?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by torsion

As usual only half the story is being told here. The korans were used in prisons and jails and they were burned because the prisoners wrere leaving each other messages in them encouraging each other with "kill the infadel" type extremist messages. Look it up its out there. It not some random act of hate like the media portrays.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Do you know how old, unrecoverable versions of the qu'ran are disposed of?

They are burned or buried. By mullahs.

See the difference? The troops should have been of islamic religion and maybe even mullahs, then it would have been all good.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
This is the reason given, and if true then they didn't burn them for 'fun'.

Afghan officials told the BBC that the Americans had confiscated books and other documents from suspected Taliban prisoners at the Parwan detention centre next to Bagram base because they believed they were using them to send messages to each other.
Gen John R Allen: 'When we learned of these actions, we immediately intervened and stopped them.' It is thought that documents containing extremist inscriptions were taken from the library, says the BBC's Andrew North in Kabul. An unknown quantity of these materials were then burnt, according to military officials, among them some Korans

BBC News

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I don't believe that anyone should deliberately antagonise Muslims, but at the same time, I'm becoming tired of their attitude. Implying that non-Muslims cannot burn the Qu'ran, is implying that all non-Muslims are actually required to live under at least some elements of Islamic law. If it was any other religious text in existence that was burned, this sort of rioting and unrest would not happen.

Muslims do not rule or own the entire planet. They need to stop behaving as though they do, or should. Part of me thinks that when this happened and Muslims rioted outside the NATO base, that rather than apologising, the NATO commander should have said that if Muslims were going to riot there, he would shoot the lot of them. The non-Islamic world should not always allow itself to be intimidated.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Obama has apologized and thus allowed this blackmail game from the Islamist to continue. This is the game, keep the fire, accuse someone of insulting you, that means he "owes" you. Typical debt slavery scheme, just like banking.

edit on 23-2-2012 by DangerDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
It is not just any book, it is sacred. Plus this would not have happened if we weren't raping murdering and pillaging in Afghanistan.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by torsion

I'm not going to judge the american forces, and I'm not judging the protesters.

All I have to say is that this is the reason why I'm anti-religion. People killing each-other over books burning is one of the lowest thing's I've ever seen, personally.

The message (if that really mattered) is more important than the paper it is in.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

Most probably it was a horrendous mistake. Even Obama has apologized, what else, may be some donation to biggest Mosque in Afghan. Riots should end and maturity should take hold of the matter.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
It is not just any book, it is sacred. Plus this would not have happened if we weren't raping murdering and pillaging in Afghanistan.

You know what people should consider more sacred than a book?

Life.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Tifozi

Those people who were killed were occupiers and oppressors, they deserved it.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Suppose, then, that all men were sick or deranged, save one or two of them who were healthy and of right mind. It would then be the latter two who would be thought to be sick and deranged and the former not?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
They're quite fond of burning our Countries flags and we don't care (why should we?) yet they actually murder people when their holy book is burned? This won't be very politically correct but what a bunch of god damn savages. I'm sick of them and sick of our goverments sending our people to these third world ultra violent countries where there is no respect for life to be killed.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I think we all know exactly how the Islamists react to such an incident. If the books were destroyed because they contained inflammatory (no pun intended) messages then it should have happened behind closed doors in a furnace without any announcement. No one would have known. No riots would have ensued. People who are dead today would still be alive. Tossing the books into an outdoor fire pit is pretty dumb.

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
I'd burn them too, except i'd be smart and burn them in the winter when it's cold that way i'd have some heat to stay warm with.

They'd make good toilet paper too. I'd rather wipe my ass with a Quran than use those smooth stones to wipe off with that they use in Afghanistan. I'd rather not give myself hemorroids shoving rocks up my behind.

You forgot to add "USA USA USA USA" to your post. Or maybe you chanted it while writing

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join