It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do commandments and threats negate free will?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
reply to post by Greatest I am

Care to revise your poor analogy?

No. The question is not about the goodness or badness of an action, the question is do we have free will or do commandments negate that. I will stick with my "poor analogy"

By all means, maintain your delusion.
Keep lying to yourself.

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by akushla99
Threats do not exist...

Rules/commandments do...

The 'rules' are procedural imperatives necessary to navigate a dualistic nature locum.

FREE WILL exists...it is the 'dice' we roll on the gameboard of created existence, created for the purpose of the game, for us to play...

...anything which results from FREE WILL can be interpreted in any way you like (FREE WIL).

FREE WILL installs the precept of RESPONSIBILITY, personal and group...utilise FREE WILL to elicit a 'bad' result and you are responsible, and vice versa...

'Choose' to not believe in FREE WILL, and you are using your FREE WILL to do this! It is an inescapable 'condition' which brings its own results based on a sense of personal and group RESPONSIBILITY.

Commandments do not negate FREE WILL...which is why the convenient excuses of 'temptation' and 'being saved' etc are slotted in to make sense of a very simple, very real concept.

Akushla

Free will to me is the ability to make a choice without coercion.
A choice made while under coercion, (especially under threat of pain and suffering), is not a freely made choice, ergo it is not free will. In fact there is a name for it; it's called extortion and it is a criminal offense precisely for the reason that it is not a free choice but a forced one.

"Extortion (also called shakedown, outwresting, and exaction) is a criminal offence which occurs when a person unlawfully obtains either money, property or services from a person(s), entity, or institution, through coercion. Refraining from doing harm is sometimes euphemistically called protection. Extortion is commonly practiced by organized crime groups. The actual obtainment of money or property is not required to commit the offense. Making a threat of violence which refers to a requirement of a payment of money or property to halt future violence is sufficient to commit the offense." Wikipedia

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Greatest I am

By all means, maintain your delusion. Keep lying to yourself.

Yes it is my free will to do so.

John 13:34 New International Version (NIV) 34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.”

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
You can order someone to love can you?

Good luck with that.

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
This is one of the greatest problems I have with Judaic religions...

here are my problems:

1) All of the bad stuff happening in the world is explained away by "free will", and yet the Commandments (accompanied by the threat of eternal damnation) suggest that free will was never a part of the plan. Either that, or "God" is a ****.

2) No benevolent being would create a race of inferior beings for the express purpose of being worshiped. We define that as somewhere between extreme narcissism and astronomical arrogance. In other words, not godly at all.

3) Why create sin if you're just going to punish people for it? Why have that opportunity at all? And if God knows everything, why create Lucifer if you know he's going to betray you? Why cast him to earth, where he can use your other beloved creations as tools to **** you off?

4) If you're going to have Tribulation times, why not just grab everyone who doesn't believe or doesn't like you and just throw them into the fiery pits? Why make everyone else suffer too? Logically, this suggests you're teaching everyone a lesson...or, again, just being a humongous ****.

There's so much more I can pick out that says either the Christians are entirely wrong, or God has always been nothing more than an all-powerful ***hole. And if that's the case...

Excuse me, I'd like some private time with my .45

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Good thought but your target is God and those who cannot think.

Regards
DL

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join