It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10th amendment : Georgia considering creating panel to exempt itself from federal laws

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

It's not the state's money either, it's the peoples money that the states took to give to the Feds.

second

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

In Georgia it's still illegal to buy alcohol on Sundays. You have to go to a special store and buy "packaged goods".

Yeah that is retarded.

Those are called "blue laws". Michigan does not allow sales of alcohol before noon Sunday morning. California does not allow sales except in a package between 2am to 6am, any day of the week. See below.

Probably a common thing. I remember learning about blue laws in middle school.

Funny, can not sell cars on Sunday in Michigan!

Source

A blue law is one restricting activities or sales of goods on Sunday, to accommodate the Christian sabbath. The first blue law in the American colonies was enacted in Virginia in 1617. It required church attendance and authorized the militia to force colonists to attend church services.

Contrary to popular belief, there is no evidence to support the assertion that the blue laws were originally printed on blue paper. Instead, the word blue was commonly used in the eighteenth century as a disparaging reference to rigid moral codes and those who observed them (e.g., "bluenoses").

Other early blue laws prohibited work, travel, recreation, and activities such as cooking, shaving, cutting hair, wearing either lace or precious metals, sweeping, making beds, kissing, and engaging in sexual intercourse. The Puritans believed that a child was born on the same day of the week on which it was conceived. Therefore, the parents of children born on a Sunday were punished for violating the blue law nine months earlier.

Blue laws have operated to protect Christian business owners from competition on their sabbath. However, they don’t protect those (such as Jews and Muslims) whose sabbath is Saturday from competition on their sabbath. Thus blue laws have established a double standard in favor of Christian

Georgia blue law link

Georgia
Sunday retail alcohol sales in stores were prohibited by the Georgia General Assembly up until 2011. On April 28, 2011 Georgia Governor Nathan Deal signed legislation allowing local communities to vote on whether to allow alcohol sales on Sundays.[10] On November 8, 2011, voters in more than 100 Georgia cities and counties cast ballots on whether or not to allow stores to sell alcohol on Sundays. It passed in Valdosta, Atlanta, Savannah and many other cities.[11] Before this, cities and counties of sufficiently large populations such as most of Metro Atlanta already had Sunday alcohol sales at bars and restaurants, with local ordinances to abide by, such as having a certain amount of food sales in order to be opened and serve alcohol. Exceptions were also made by the drink at festivals and large events.[12]

California
Any sale of alcohol (defined within three categories: wine, beer, and spirits) is prohibited daily between 2am and 6am, regardless of whether intended for on-premises and off-premises use. Between 6am and 2am, all three can be sold at convenience stores, grocery stores and private retail stores.

Michigan
The sale of alcohol is banned from 2 a.m. to 7 a.m. Monday through Sunday. The only exception to this rule is New Year's Day, in which case alcohol sales are permitted until 4 a.m. Alcohol sale was likewise banned on Sundays until 12p.m., and on Dec. 25 from 12 a.m. until 12 p.m, until a repeal in late 2010.[22] Specific localities may petition for exceptions for either on-site or off-site consumption.[23]
Additionally, vehicle sales are banned on Sunday in counties having a population of 130,000 or more. Vehicle dealers who keep seventh-day Sabbath from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday may operate on Sundays instead.[24]

edit on 23-2-2012 by kawika because: added link

edit on 23-2-2012 by kawika because: add quote

edit on 23-2-2012 by kawika because: add quote

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SG-17

The first time Andrew Jackson laid the smackdown on South Carolina and the second time 600,000 people died. Nullification is bad, it makes "The United States are" rather than "The United States is".
I starred you by accident I wish I could take it back! The United States Are is how it is supposed to be. It was Lincoln that brought about that change. He is in my top 5 of people who would have to go if I had a time machine. If I had a time machine, we would still have the articles of confederation even if I had to drag some of the founding fathers here to show them the travesty a vaguely worded Constitution has wrought.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdRock69

We need to fix the education system if we are ever going to fix the political system.
Until you get the political system out of the educational system, this is not even a pipe dream.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by diatribe
Its a proposal that will never pass, the state has too much to loose in the way of returned tax dollars, to ever gamble on passing such a law.
How do you figure? They just stop collecting federal taxes. Boycott federal taxes because right now we have taxation without representation.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdRock69
reply to post by Vitchilo

Also people are not THAT backwards.

I've been to Georgia and actually yes they are.

There is still a lot of self imposed segregation even in big cities like Atlanta.

Not just from whites but black communities as well. No one trusts each other down there.

But they all where fake smiles and try to act PC in public. But when in private the gloves comes off and the white hoods come out of the closet.

Kinda spooky.

Hey I live there. ###SNIPPED### I'm sick of people saying crap about Georgians. I support this law. I'm in an interracial marriage, I have friend from all cultures, race, and lifestyles. We all don't like how the Fed is overbearing on everything.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Originally posted by diatribe
Its a proposal that will never pass, the state has too much to loose in the way of returned tax dollars, to ever gamble on passing such a law.
How do you figure? They just stop collecting federal taxes. Boycott federal taxes because right now we have taxation without representation.

So, that would mean no social security, no medicare, no medicaid, no postal services, no federal funding for education, bridges, highways, natural disasters, etc., and no help with defense if terrorists or other enemies decide to bomb the country of Georgia???

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Didn't something similar start a war once upon a time...

Georgia better make sure that she has all her ducks in a row before hand.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

So, that would mean no social security, no medicare, no medicaid, no federal funding for education,

Let's start with these. All of these entitlement programs are a huge part of the problem. Federal funding for education??? Please cut that whole department. The intelligence and knowledge level of students everywhere in this nation's public schools has dropped every single year since it was give cabinet status and a bloated budget. It is not about educating children, it is about conditioning them.

no postal services
LOL. The postal service is bankrupt and basically worthless now, just like most government run entities.

bridges, highways, natural disasters, etc., and no help with defense if terrorists or other enemies decide to bomb the country of Georgia???
Bridges and highways are supposed to be funded by the gas taxes. Georgia can just keep what they collect and fix their own. Natural disaster aid? Isn't that what insurance is for? Why is the nation borrowing money to bail people who make poor decisions out anyway? Terrorists? The TSA "cure" is worse than the damned disease.
edit on 23-2-2012 by DarthMuerte because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

So, that would mean no social security, no medicare, no medicaid, no federal funding for education,

Let's start with these. All of these entitlement programs are a huge part of the problem. Federal funding for education??? Please cut that whole department. The intelligence and knowledge level of students everywhere in this nation's public schools has dropped every single year since it was give cabinet status and a bloated budget. It is not about educating children, it is about conditioning them.

You may have some problems convincing much of the population about the medicare/medicaid loss.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

You may have some problems convincing much of the population about the medicare/medicaid loss.

it's a mess, but allowing it to go on simply because we would rather not be bothered by the difficulties in fixing it, is a crime in and of itself.
edit on 23-2-2012 by LittleBlackEagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Seems like I saw on a NatGeo TV program lately there is a little corner of Georgia that never rejoined the union.

Can not remember the name of the place.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

The United States Are is how it is supposed to be. It was Lincoln that brought about that change. He is in my top 5 of people who would have to go if I had a time machine. If I had a time machine, we would still have the articles of confederation even if I had to drag some of the founding fathers here to show them the travesty a vaguely worded Constitution has wrought.

The Articles of Confederation would've lead to the downfall of the United States of America over a century ago. Hell, the thing barely lasted six years before it had to be entirely scrapped! You cannot have a union of independent, divided states under a federal government that cannot collect taxes or raise an army! Hell, look at the Shay's Rebellion. Our military could barely put down a rebellion caused by a bunch of pissed off farmers, imagine the War of 1812...

As for the United States Are... I couldn't agree with you more. By phrasing it as a single entity, the government is essentially programming us to accept the loss of states' rights.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Georgia is governed by idiots and the ethically challenged. This is a perfect example. Lets pass this law and then get rid of things like those stupid anti segregation laws, we could just have a seperate but equal thing. We don't need to pay fed taxes we will just build our own roads and bridges -- how well does anybody really think that would ork out. Goes on and on and on.

This is unconstitutional and the dummies lost a war trying to do this once before. Federal law is not a buffet you can't just pick and choose. It protects minority opinion from mob rule. The whole concept of why this is bad is totally lost on the fine people in Ga. If I wasn't for one of the most beautiful lakes in the country I would be gone.
edit on 23-2-2012 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Go Georgia, and a big YEE-HAW Y'ALL from the Republic of Texas!

Seriously, the states can see that the federal government has gone rogue, and they are trying to restore some sanity to the political landscape. If the feds weren't so screwed up, using the constitution as toilet paper, the states wouldn't be discussing issues such as deciding whether or not federal regulations are to be followed or not.

The states pulling away from the feds is symptomatic of cancerous corruption at the federal level. This is going to get worse before it gets better.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
This is the first step to reclaiming America from the elitist trash that has stolen it away from us. The power has always been, and will always be in the states. The federal government is a creation of the states, not the other way around. Nullification is the only answer.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
didn't texas try to do something like this a few months ago and the fed threatened to close their airports and declare texas a no fly zone? well we all know how that ended, texas whimpered away with their tail between their legs

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

So, that would mean no social security, no medicare, no medicaid, no postal services, no federal funding for education, bridges, highways, natural disasters, etc., and no help with defense if terrorists or other enemies decide to bomb the country of Georgia???

SWEET! I sure do hope this passes! Georgia would be much less of a terrorist target at this point as well. Georgians are a tough people, we are one of the most militarized states in the US we'll hold our own but we wouldn't need to.

To the poster that gave the date for repeal of blue law, thanks! It was news to me.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by djtek

I believe you are referring to Texas airports trying to take the TSA down a peg or two, and the feds decided to punish the entire state for it. Please do your homework before slandering an entire state.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
reply to post by djtek

I believe you are referring to Texas airports trying to take the TSA down a peg or two, and the feds decided to punish the entire state for it. Please do your homework before slandering an entire state.

I didn't care to to go look it up and find out the details. The airports are run by the state, so yes, the state backed down.
it really doesn't matter, this will end up the same way.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join