It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10th amendment : Georgia considering creating panel to exempt itself from federal laws

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
This is awesome.

Should Georgia exempt itself from federal law?

A panel of Georgia lawmakers would have the power to review federal law and declare it illegal under a proposal in the state Senate.

Senate Resolution 889 would create a "joint commission on recommendation" to advise on which federal laws infringed on the state. If approved by two-thirds of the General Assembly, Georgia residents would be exempted from following them.

Things to be exempted from :
- NDAA
- Patriot act
- Drug war
- Warrantless spying
- SOPA/PIPA

Stuff like that... Go Georgia! All states should pass that.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Fantastic! I may have to move 1 state north. I have forwarded links to the article to my state representatives here in Florida.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Hopefully they can make it it work.

It's too bad that it has become necessary for this kind of protection. The states should have come up with this idea 200 yrs. ago.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
You go Georgia!

Going to contact Ohio Reps with this forward.

Thanks for the post!

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

That sounds a little scary to me. What's to stop them from re-instating slavery in their state, or outlawing interracial marriages, or other federal laws regarding civil rights? I don't think they can/should do this.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

That sounds a little scary to me. What's to stop them from re-instating slavery in their state, or outlawing interracial marriages, or other federal laws regarding civil rights? I don't think they can/should do this.

The bill of rights and constitution.

Also people are not THAT backwards.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Yes this is very cool. Another benefit of this for GA residents is that weapons that have been assembled with parts that are manufactured solely in GA will not have to apply for the tax stamp so it may be possible to finally get that suppressor without a 4-6 month wait and $200 in taxes. The weapon (suppressors are considered a firearm by them-self) would have to have a special imprinting designating it as a "all Georgia" type of disclaimer, and would never be able to leave the state without a tax stamp.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Sounds to me like another civil war is a brewing.

This doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdRock69
Sounds to me like another civil war is a brewing.

This doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

So you're saying people should keep getting screwed by the feds?? And not do a thing about it because it might create a civil war?

What about no? Enough is enough. If they want war, they come and get it.

Georgia should also abolish the TSA.
edit on 23-2-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   

It is amazing... really. After reading the comments here, there are those who actually cannot fathom the Georgia is anything but the place it was decades and decades ago. They fear that it will somehow re-institute slavery or outlaw interracial marriage. This is like saying that Germans are going to backslide into Nazi-ism because they were allowed to reunify their country.

Yeah, them old boys down in JawJaw spend their days at the moonshine still...

Wow.

EDIT:

Additionally, it is now far and away the federal government that has become overbearing, intrusive and at times, even tyrannical in law and legislation.

I submit that today, it is the individual states that have taken the constitutional high ground.
edit on 23-2-2012 by redoubt because: addendum

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   

I've been to Georgia and actually yes they are.

There is still a lot of self imposed segregation even in big cities like Atlanta.

Not just from whites but black communities as well. No one trusts each other down there.

But they all where fake smiles and try to act PC in public. But when in private the gloves comes off and the white hoods come out of the closet.

Kinda spooky.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdRock69

I've been to Georgia and actually yes they are.

There is still a lot of self imposed segregation even in big cities like Atlanta.

Not just from whites but black communities as well. No one trusts each other down there.

But they all where fake smiles and try to act PC in public. But when in private the gloves comes off and the white hoods come out of the closet.

Kinda spooky.

That is absolute B-S.

ANYONE who has spent more than tens seconds in Atlanta knows that it is ANYTHING but segregated.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ThirdRock69

Me thinks it's like that all across America...

So no biggie.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Are you forgetting Georgia just tried to drag Obama into court over the whole birth certificate thing. And they tried to get him thrown off the presidential ballot in their State?

In Georgia it's still illegal to buy alcohol on Sundays. You have to go to a special store and buy "packaged goods".

I don't even drink but I think Georgia is still pretty backwards and they are living about 20 years in the past compared to the rest of the USA.

Upfront they might try to make this about Freedom but it is a ruse and is most likely about racism.

I'm all for keeping the power of the State strong and letting States make their own laws.

That way I can avoid those States and all the good ol' boys . But saying they have the power to override Federal law is taking it too far. I think we all need to speak up and have the Federal Government repeal the patriot act Nationwide.
edit on 23-2-2012 by ThirdRock69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
For a site that claims to deny ignorance, there sure is a lot of regional ignorance going around.

I have to wonder how many people really do still buy into the old stereotypes?

*sigh*

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ThirdRock69

Are you forgetting Georgia just tried to drag Obama into court over the whole birth certificate thing. And they tried to get him thrown off the presidential ballot in their State?

Well Obama's past is shady. But a lot of the whole thing is because of racism, yes.

In Georgia it's still illegal to buy alcohol on Sundays. You have to go to a special store and buy "packaged goods".

Yeah that is retarded.

Upfront they might try to make this about Freedom but it is a ruse and is most likely about racism.

Well if good people go into office in Georgia, they won't have to worry about the ``racists``.

Anyway, this should be done by ALL states... so there you won't have to worry about the backwards people...
edit on 23-2-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

I will admit it was over 15 years ago when I was there last.

I was there for two weeks doing door to door cold call sales.

I spoke to over 100 people a day.

Everyone was very nice and polite.

But at night the white folk went to Buckhead and the Blacks went to the Underground.

I encountered many white people who were prejudiced, probably racists if not full blown KKK.

I also noticed the older black people still had a look a fear.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
Hopefully they can make it it work.

It's too bad that it has become necessary for this kind of protection. The states should have come up with this idea 200 yrs. ago.

They did, but the Federal government refused it and decided to call it the civil war instead of the 2nd war of independence, and teach it to all students as a war for slavery.

Pretty successful smear campaign if you ask me, it worked.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I would hope that most laws were still handled on a State level. If the Federal Government tried to pass a new law and a State disagreed with it. That State could challenge the law in the Supreme Court.

To my understanding that is how our system is supposed to work. I'm still waiting for a State to challenge the Patriot Act.

I truly doubt Georgia will take on the Patriot Act. I don't doubt they would say they will but then put it at the bottom of the list.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I think this is awesome for Georgia. I'd love to see this pass.

In Georgia it's still illegal to buy alcohol on Sundays.

Not anymore! The state has made it up to the local jurisdictions.

-----------

Still disgusted by all of you who love to bash the south, especially those who say things like "yeah, I visited there, and the black people all looked scared." Ridiculous.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join