It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chevron Nigeria gas well fire 'may burn for months'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Chevron Nigeria gas well fire 'may burn for months'

www.bbc.co.uk

A gas-fuelled fire, with flames as high as 5m, may burn for months in waters off the Niger Delta in south-east Nigeria, Chevron has told the BBC.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Nigeria has oil spill that's been going on for over 50 years!
Nigeria's agony dwarfs the Gulf oil spill. The US and Europe ignore it

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I for one have heard almost nothing concerning this leak and fire. And here we have an update to a situation in Nigeria where who know how much gas has now leaked into the delta and how lomg this fire will actually continue.

Is this being squelched in most msm or is it just not that bad?

I feel horrible for the people in the area scared of the contamination of their major food source.

I searched for a while and only found older threads relating to all the small oil and gas spills that have plagued the region. Well, here is yet another to add to the list.

www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by CalibratedZeus

Hopefully Chevron will get fines of many billions of pounds for this terrible environmental damage. Ala BP in the Gulf.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I guess that brings me to wonder who fines a company like Chevron in this situation. Nigeria? This delta has seen so many spills and leaks it appears to go uncheckex and unfined. They are just going to keep decimating this area until there is much more of a global outcry.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Interesting question. The answer is probably no one! Even for Delta standards though, that seems like one very bad spill. Wasn't it also Chevron a few months ago off the coast of Brazil (and they were shown to be massively repressing the actual amount of oil spilled there).

I guess the point im making is that unless lots of BP type fines are handed out to the really big oil players, this kind of thing will occur very regularly all over the world.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Something else to worry about.....

BEAM ME UP SCOTTY!!!

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
shows how unsafe and crappy american technology is.Inefficiency and wastage is the mantra of the West.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by mkgandhas

As opposed to what? Indian technology?

This has nothing to do with the technology and everything to do with cost cutting and lack of safety procedures as they are operating in the Third World.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by mkgandhas

As opposed to what? Indian technology?

This has nothing to do with the technology and everything to do with cost cutting and lack of safety procedures as they are operating in the Third World.

Agreed, big oil can get away wih whatever they want in these countries and face no punishment in return, only until a huge disaster happens will this come to light in the mainstream. We can protect our parts of the ocean as much as we want, but currents travel worldwide and in the end it will come back to us. There needs to be global restricions and rules now before it is too late....

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by CalibratedZeus

I for one have heard almost nothing concerning this leak and fire.

Unlike BP, Chevron is an American company so let's pretend nothing has happened and maybe quietly close the thread and walk away whistling!

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Azinmash(russian) rigs are better than american weatherford and baker hughes for onshore.Offshore rigs of Aker solutions and Transocean are good.BP's disaster was due to crappy technical solutions of Halliburton which deliberately did not cement the wellhead properly, hence the BP disaster in 2010.

American companies like Chevron caused disaster.Halliburton caused disaster in GOM. So like why is american tech not crappy.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by torsion

BP was not responsible.Any technical person will tell you that Halliburton's crappy cementing of wellhead was responsible.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Just to clarify, i knew about this the day it happened, and i have photo's of the incident occurring because i work in for a marine company which operates there. 4 of our vessels actually helped contain this fire and rescue the people, as we did with Deep Water Horizon.

Rest assured that Chevron will have to pay a substantial amount to the Nigerian Government because of the environmental impact, but also to other regulatory bodies. The difficulty here though is that Nigeria is far from the west, its not of concern to the "people of the west", so its not going to be on our MSM.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Any chance those photos are posted anywhere or you being able to put them here?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by CalibratedZeus

I for one have heard almost nothing concerning this leak and fire. And here we have an update to a situation in Nigeria where who know how much gas has now leaked into the delta and how lomg this fire will actually continue.

Is this being squelched in most msm or is it just not that bad?

I feel horrible for the people in the area scared of the contamination of their major food source.

I searched for a while and only found older threads relating to all the small oil and gas spills that have plagued the region. Well, here is yet another to add to the list.

www.bbc.co.uk

And you won't hear much about them in the future, out of sight out of mind.

The BBC reported during the gulf spill that there are 3-5 Exxon Valdez sized spills in Africa every year.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod
Just to clarify, i knew about this the day it happened, and i have photo's of the incident occurring because i work in for a marine company which operates there. 4 of our vessels actually helped contain this fire and rescue the people, as we did with Deep Water Horizon.

Rest assured that Chevron will have to pay a substantial amount to the Nigerian Government because of the environmental impact, but also to other regulatory bodies. The difficulty here though is that Nigeria is far from the west, its not of concern to the "people of the west", so its not going to be on our MSM.

I'm glad to hear they will have to pay. This sort of thing has been going on in Nigeria for a long time and I've never heard anything about it on either CNN or Fox. There's definitely a double standard at work here. The oil spills are sickening wherever they happen -- all the waters of the world are connected.

top topics

join