It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks' 'smear campaign' to save founder Julian Assange

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

WikiLeaks' 'smear campaign' to save founder Julian Assange

www.news.com.au

WIKILEAKS aims to release documents revealing that Swedish Foreign Minister Carl Bildt is a US spy, as part of a "smear campaign" to stop Sweden from extraditing founder Julian Assange to the United States, a Swedish daily reports.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
rt.com
www.skynews.com.au
www.businessinsider.com
www.dailytelegraph.com.au

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
It seems to be a back and forth game dosen't it? I'm always left wondering if WikiLeaks is nothing more than a distraction in the media, but this story hasn't received much attention at all.

I'm not surprised such information was in the files WikiLeaks might have attained, but using it like this just seems ... odd, given the timing.

I'm not sure if this will get noticed by many, but it does beg the question -- who is and is behind WikiLeaks?

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Here's a little more detail for those that can't/don't want to read the news links. Sorry for keeping it so brief in the initial post everyone!

Sweedish News

Among the documents WikiLeaks plans to make public is a US diplomatic report showing that Carl Bildt has served as an informant for the United States since the 1970s.

“There are secret documents that reveal that Bildt cooperated with the American administration in a way that violates Swedish law,” a WikiLeaks source told the paper.

“He'll be forced to resign. It will be the end of his political career.”

According to WikiLeaks, Bildt's original contact is political consultant Karl Rove, a former adviser to President George W. Bush, and someone who Bildt has openly referred to as “an old friend”.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

I have pointed this out time and again and I will do so again...

Assange pops into the spotlight every so many months, and its always wikileaks related until the press conference, where he begs people for donations while saying wikileaks would need to shut down if they dont get the funds. Assange then uses that money to pay himself and his legal fees.

Sometime back Assange promised to make a donation to defend Pvt. Manning. Even after an influx of cash donated to that cause, Assange decided to use the money to pay himself and some other people. He only got around to donating the money when people kept asking him about it.

Assange is a fraud and nothing more. For a person who demands people be held accountable for their actions, he sure as hell does not practice what he preaches. If anything, his actions to date have been along the exact same lines as he accuses governments of doing.

False info, smear campaign, blame others...

If he did not break any laws then go deal with it and be victorious. The media will cover it, and will be all over the story if Sweden does something they promised not to do, or if he gets extradited to the US (which right now wont happen since there are no warrants pending for his arrest).

He supposedly has all this info to defend himself.. Use it in a court of law ya moron.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
ya moron...
nice to see you. I'd ask for sources for your claims but since you have already failed to provide any in the past I will just assume that it would be pointless. As I've said before, a man can go as far as to fully co-operate with this investigation and he is still in the wrong? What is he supposed to do?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
ya moron...
nice to see you. I'd ask for sources for your claims but since you have already failed to provide any in the past I will just assume that it would be pointless. As I've said before, a man can go as far as to fully co-operate with this investigation and he is still in the wrong? What is he supposed to do?

Ive posted the info, you choose to ignore it because you dont agree with it. Cooperation in an investigation is based on law enforcement needs, not the individuals. He can refuse to cooperate, he can continually state he has fully cooperated, its irrelevant in the end.

He will be extradited back to Sweden and this will go to court. If he has all of this information that he is being set up, that one witness is a spy working for the CIA, the the PA is being vindictive, that he would be hooded, tied up, whisked off to the airport in the middle of the night, flown to gitmo where he will be tortured and eventually charged with treason then executed, then bring it up in court to undermine the prosecutions case.

On a side note is there any particular reason you don't require Assange to support his claims with actual sources and facts? Please cite and link the sources that show concrete evidence Assange will be extradited to the US, held in gitmo, charged with reason and sentenced to death, as his lawyers have claimed.

Wheres the info supporting those claims?

Or is it your position that Assange can make false claims without question solely because you agree with wikileaks and the ability to read information that is none of your business?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
What is he supposed to do?

Face the music. There is no evidence that the Swedish judicial system will not conduct their affairs in a open and transparent manner. If Assange does end up facing a trial and is found guilty then we all know why he has invested so much time and effort in trying NOT to be sent back to Sweden. After all, we all hate sex offenders - the lowest of the low in my book.

Whereas I have no general objection to Wikileaks, I do think it has turned into a money-making circus and some of the things they have done have been highly questionable, such as the release of the names and addresses of the last handful of Iraqi Jews. Like that would help!

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...
news.bbc.co.uk...
www.dailymail.co.uk...

On Manning. He should have the book thrown at him. Regradless of the rights and wrongs, he should not have done what he did.

Regards

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

I don't really think he's a sex offender. He was charged with "sex by surprise." Basically a girl he slept with, going to sleep with him, and saying she woke up to sex again.

Who is to say he wasn't half a sleep and she didn't sex by surprise him?

Really though, the reason he doesn't want to go back to Sweden aren't the sex charges, it's because that is where he can be extradited to the US from.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
Really though, the reason he doesn't want to go back to Sweden aren't the sex charges, it's because that is where he can be extradited to the US from.

The flaw in that argument resides in the fact the extradition treaty we have with the UK would make Assange easier to extradite to the US. We would have a more difficult time extraditing from Sweden

The comments Assange and his lawyer made, gitmo / torture / treason / death sentence was noting more than a legal tactic in an attempt to distract from the charge in Sweden.

The other flaw for Assange is the fact he has not been charged / indicted in the US. Trying to make an argument based on what Assange and his lawyer say reference the US has no legal standing since those actions have never been committed against Assange = no injury because of no charges.

just my 2 cents.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Why would this action be odd to you? He is about to be extradited, why wouldnt he try and take a few down with him?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

First of all in Uk he would at least get a hearing. Not from sweden if he is "loaned" to US. Second, sweden isn't exactly a hard place to grab someone. Half of it's cabinet probably sleep between the same sheets as US. They aren't know for turning down those requests. Third, as if US never ever would ever never send someone to Gitmo without charges. They'd never just haul in someone completely innocent either... They've already started to drop his name and WL in Manning trial. Ironically at the same time proving that JA didn't know who Manning was.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Assange is wanted for questioning in Sweden over sexual offenses which go somewhat beyond “surprise sex”. Anyway, the point is that unless Assange does the right thing and faces his accusers, we will never know whether he is a sex offender or not.

The link to the Guardian has more detail.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Extradition to the US from Sweden is a red herring. I very much doubt the US would bother as they have Manning and are now capable of hobbling Assange. In addition, as has been stated so far, if the US wanted Assange then why wait for him to get to Sweden?

Regards

edit on 24/2/2012 by paraphi because: correct typo

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

yes yes yes we've heard it all before
US bad
wikileaks good

However, its easier to extradite from the UK than it is Sweden.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Says you. I guess it must be true then.

top topics

join