It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photobombing UFOs

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by 0R10N

I had a specific reason for asking, I knew what you where testing your camera. I just wanted to know if you had a thought or desire to take photos of the sky.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0R10N
reply to post by seeker11

I tried to describe the locations in my OP, but here's some highlighted edits below. Sorry, I know they're not the best of pics but I felt I needed to share. And if you have the capability, try to right-click and open each link in its own tab.. Then click on the tabs from left to right. You will see the apparent flight path change. These just have me scratching my head more than anything...

I also have the full blown images (3872x2592) if anyone knows of a place I can upload them to that is free.

edit on 22-2-2012 by 0R10N because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-2-2012 by 0R10N because: Additions

edit on 22-2-2012 by 0R10N because: (no reason given)

Whatever it is looks triangular in these pics.

"Aurora" maybe.
edit on 23-2-2012 by TheOven because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I kinda feel like the dark dots are animals of some sort, bugs or birds. But the other photos resembling a thin white line are kinda fishy. My husband has a D300 and the shutter speed on that thing is fast, I'm guessing its fast enough to capture the entire length of the moving object without causing distortion. So that only means the object is a thin line of sorts. That could also be a bug of sorts, but I'm no expert.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Something in the picture x 2 , maybe other craft , maybe dirt particle's on the lens or bugs , anyway this is an upload instead of clicking the links .....good OP anyway.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Ig you blow it up on your pc the top one looks like a fighter jet of some sort

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by 0R10N

You need to upload the images so that they contain all the EXIF data

www.digicamhelp.com...

People can then obtain the data of shutter speed, etc from the images by entering the URL.

regex.info...

You have motion blur on the aircraft. Anything passing in front of the lens such as a bird, or insect is also going to be blurred. The EXIF data has been stripped out of the images when you processed them and saved them to file. Upload some of them with the full data so that people can see what shutter speed, aperture was used. Digital cameras also suffer badly from dust and debris on the sensor. Everything from hairs to insects actually inside the camera body. Dust/debris spots can also be inconsistent between frames.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by DonaldD
reply to post by 0R10N

I had a specific reason for asking, I knew what you where testing your camera. I just wanted to know if you had a thought or desire to take photos of the sky.

I gotcha. Well I do apologize for the snappiness then.. I see too many people here on ATS that don't even bother reading the OP and like to comment. Since it was a polarized filter, the sky is really the best way to try it out. If you've ever worn a good pair of polarized sunglasses, you would know what I mean about looking at the sky. Makes the blues way deeper and richer, which in turn makes the clouds pop out. Since there weren't many clouds to shoot, I followed the planes around. I want to get a larger lens that also includes the vibration reduction like my 18-55mm lens has. Unfortunately the 55-200mm lens doesn't.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOven

I can kind of see that. I enhanced and cropped the photos with the objects in them and added them to my OP last night, if you want to take a gander.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by nusnus
I kinda feel like the dark dots are animals of some sort, bugs or birds. But the other photos resembling a thin white line are kinda fishy. My husband has a D300 and the shutter speed on that thing is fast, I'm guessing its fast enough to capture the entire length of the moving object without causing distortion. So that only means the object is a thin line of sorts. That could also be a bug of sorts, but I'm no expert.

Oh yea, the shutter speed on mine is really fast. I would say on an object that is well lit I can follow it no problem. Even when I was at the truck races last year in Daytona, I was grabbing many pics of the trucks screaming by with no issues. The only thing that slowed my camera down is when I've taken 6 in a second the memory card gets bogged down a bit when trying to save all of the images.

I thought about them being birds at first, and in that first group they very well could be. But they're just too linear in shape and seem to be facing the jet. They also seemed to be vibrating rather than blurry. I would think if birds flew into the shot, they would show up as blurs or streaks rather than objects that look like they're vibrating. Also birds usually fly in formation or the case of this quick snap, if the birds were chasing each other I would think they'd show up as parallel blurs not situated as to make a "V", if that makes sense.

I have addressed the bug idea as well on page one I believe. The reason that doesn't quite make sense to me is that this is a 55-200mm lens which was zoomed in all the way. I wouldn't think bugs would be able to appear at all with the focal point being the plane. That is also why I included the shots that led up to the last one with the objects in it because it was the end of a three shot burst.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Droidinvoid
Something in the picture x 2 , maybe other craft , maybe dirt particle's on the lens or bugs , anyway this is an upload instead of clicking the links .....good OP anyway.

Thanks Droidinvoid, I will have to figure out how to do that. I just uploaded them to flickr and used the image button to link them in. I always clean my lenses, both sides as well as the mirror on the inside of the body. Regularly inspect them all before use as well just in case.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by tommyjo

Thanks tommyjo, if you go view the original ones that I uploaded in my flickr, you can click on actions then select view EXIF data. Below is the EXIF data I copied and pasted straight from flickr on the photo from the first group that has the objects in it. Notice the exposure time. Also, not sure if the uploads of the RAWs to the site you mentioned would provide more info, but I think the pertinent data is there.

Exif data
Camera Nikon D3000
Exposure 0.02 sec (1/50)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 200 mm
ISO Speed 100
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash No Flash
X-Resolution 240 dpi
Y-Resolution 240 dpi
Software Ver.1.00
Date and Time (Modified) 2012:02:22 22:13:28
Exposure Program Program AE
Date and Time (Original) 2012:01:29 01:11:51.50-05:00
Date and Time (Digitized) 2012:01:29 01:11:51
Max Aperture Value 5.7
Subject Distance 4294967295 m
Metering Mode Multi-segment
Light Source Unknown
Sub Sec Time Original 50
Sub Sec Time Digitized 50
Sensing Method One-chip color area
CFAPattern [Green,Blue][Red,Green]
Custom Rendered Normal
Exposure Mode Auto
White Balance Auto
Digital Zoom Ratio 1
Scene Capture Type Standard
Gain Control None
Contrast Normal
Saturation Normal
Sharpness Normal
Subject Distance Range Unknown
Compression JPEG (old-style)
Viewing Conditions Illuminant Type D50
Measurement Observer CIE 1931
Measurement Flare 0.999%
Measurement Illuminant D65
XMPToolkit Adobe XMP Core 4.2-c020 1.124078, Tue Sep 11 2007 23:21:40
Creator Tool Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
Lens 55.0-200.0 mm f/4.0-5.6
Lens ID 137
Image Number 11023
Color Transform YCbCr
Flash Return No return detection
Flash Mode Unknown
Flash Function False
Flash Red Eye Mode False
edit on 23-2-2012 by 0R10N because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-2-2012 by 0R10N because: grammar

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Camera Nikon D3000
Exposure 0.02 sec (1/50)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 200 mm
ISO Speed 100

Okay, with these settings, in broad daylight -- no wonder you're getting so much motion blur - Hardly any light is actually getting into your lens. The motion blur is obviously caused by Bugs (black spots) and other things such as most likely a bird or other Plane.

1/50th of a second on a D3000 is slow. The max on that camera is 1/2000th of a second -- why take the picture with such a slow shutter speed? Obviously you were looking to take a picture of a fast moving object (The commercial airliner) and testing the camera in some way therefore are there other pictures of the same things with different shutter speeds?

EDIT:

Links about the effects of shutter speed on fast moving objects

blogs.redding.com...
www.diyphotography.net...
www.digital-photography-school.com... (this one explains that with a 200mm lens a 1/250th of a second speed is pretty required for any type of freezing without motion trails)
edit on 23-2-2012 by stevenreanimator because: Add links to shutter speed info

edit on 23-2-2012 by stevenreanimator because: Edit for rude remark

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by stevenreanimator

Whoa, hold up there...
Hoax means intentional.. I don't think OP was intentional at all.. Maybe the settings he has are default, I think he did state, he wanted to test his "new" camera....

No hoax, just excitement and a possibility that it could be something "else". So the OP thought he would get the forum members take, that's all..

BTW: you did post some good technical stuff, I took note... thank you for that.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx2112

Youre absolutely right, that was uncalled for at this juncture and it has been edited.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Couldn't you just record the jets on video and then take a screenshot? It's a very efficient way of taking awesome pictures.

Blurry quality undermines UFO claims.
edit on CThursdaypm242427f27America/Chicago23 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx2112

He was testing his new polarisation filter. The exif shows an image
count of over 11000, which suggests he has owned it for a while.

On a side-note: I use my circ. polarfilter te remove unwanted
reflections in water, windows and glasses. I don't really get why
one would see things in the sky, unless it was hiding in a reflection?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
They're probably bugs, notice how they're quite blurry compared to the airliner in the background, this is because they are small objects much closer to the lens than the airliner. You wouldn't have noticed them when taking the photos, most people don't. I bet if you go out and snap another 20 or 30 photos at around the same time you'll get several images with the exact same blurry objects showing up. Usually when you have a photo like this and the person who took it says they didn't notice the object/ objects at the time the photo was taken it's a red flag that the object was a bug or bird.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by 0R10N

Thanks for the reply. You can see the problem straight away with the shutter speed of 1/50th of a second. It accounts for the motion blur on the aircraft and also anything passing your lens is going to be blurred. With that amount of light you should be using 1/500th upwards. Change over to shutter priority and let the camera handle the aperture. It is the slow shutter speed that has caused the motion blur and especially for anything going past the lens.

The same thing applies to video cameras and people trying to pass off insects and birds as 'draco ufo probes'. I kid you not!

Video example of birds and insects passing the camera when filming a remote control model plane.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Once such chap on You Tube that tries to pass off insects and birds in video footage as 'probes'

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If you went to a meadow or area where they was a large insect population and filmed at 1/50 of a second against the sky you would see the effect a slow shutter speed has. Remember that you are not panning with the insects, birds but simply catchng them in flight as they move across your lens.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by nusnus
I kinda feel like the dark dots are animals of some sort, bugs or birds.

And the smeared white spot is likely Jupiter or Venus, both of which are fairly prominent in the sky these days, even before sunset.

Glad I could help solve the mystery!

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by stevenreanimator

Sadly my camera settings are default. Here I was thinking two thousandths of a second was fast, but I guess not. Nothing was intentional, and I tried to make that crystal clear in my OP. I hate hoaxers with a passion, and I am a firm believer in the ETs. I mean, how can we literally be the only advanced, well intelligent beings in the universe? So hoaxers to me are a disgrace to the whole thing. Waste of time and well, they make the entire thing seem like a joke.

Anyways, back on topic. Yes my camera settings are default. But what I don't get are some inconsistencies. Like the jets aren't that blurry, and the objects in the first group seem to be vibrating, not streaking across the screen. Also the object that changed directions in the second grp kept its curved shape into the turn. It didnt just stay facing the same way and hop to its right, it actually turned. Have you tried opening the second group in their own tabs, then click on them in order? It's like watching stop motion, you can clearly see a turn.

I will definitely check those links out, thanks. Also appreciate the repealing of the unnecessary. I may not know much about cameras, but I know that during a really slow shutter speed like in low light, whatever is heading in a certain direction has a streak that is consistent with that motion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join