Is Jesus the tree of life?

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
This is a simple academic theological discussion. I am not a christian or the like, but am interested in the various interpretations of the religion

I was pondering this:

Genesis 3:22 (King James Version)
And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

Now, consider that...if a person takes from the tree of life (eats the fruit), he lives forever,
Incidently, the lord doesn't seem to be a fan of that plan.

John 11:26 (KJV)

And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Interesting, isn't it. So, in the garden, the lord (and friends) didn't want the humans to live forever..hell, they didn't even want the humans to have knowledge..
So here comes Jesus, saying that to believe (or accept) him, you will live forever..going against the desires of the lord in the garden...

So...
thoughts Was the tree of life a spirit or something to accept...Is Jesus the thing the lord in the garden was worried we would extend and take as ours?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Ho, Saturn.

Interesting thoughts here. First off, no, I don't believe Jesus to be the tree of life - Jesus allowed for an ultimate reconciliation between man and god, granting access TO the tree of life (as discussed in the book of Revelation).

As far as god in the garden not wanting man to have knowledge, you're missing a little it - it was the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. When man became aware of good and evil, they also became responsible for their choices accordingly...and man is well-disposed toward selfish/evil inclinations, all too sadly.

As taught by Christ in the new testament, the kingdom of Heaven belongs to those such as children (in a state of unawareness/innocence regarding good and evil and their culpability therein), and Paul taught that sin is not imputed where there is no law (such as in a state of ignorance & resulting innocence). Thus, in the garden and prior to eating of that tree, Adam & Eve held no liability for their actions short of eating that fruit itself.

Take care.

EDIT:
To clarify your statement on living forever - I'll admit that, humans being as I know them to be - I ALSO don't want them to live forever. We do and enable enough damage in our short time here, and there is no serious indication of any species-wide enlightenment on the horizon to change my outlook on this anytime soon.

Imagine a race of immortals with our capacity for genius, discovery, cruelty, and waste taking to the galaxy. I shudder at the thought. And that's not even considering how deep we'd already be stacked by this point, since we're not even TO the getting-off-earth-in-large-numbers stage as yet.
edit on 2/22/2012 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Phewy,the first thing that scared me as a kid was>eat the flesh and drink the blood

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
this is the tree of life

commons.wikimedia.org...:Tree-of-Life_Queens-Colours.svg

this is christ

www.ka-gold-jewelry.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

I never got the whole tree thing in the garden of Eden. I understood the whole freewill thing, but they were thrown out of thee garden pretty early. Yet Adam lived supposedly over 900 years. And so did his son Seth. Apparently there was someone obtaining the fruit of life long before Jesus came on the scene. So no...I don't believe Jesus was the tree of life. Cause the human lifespan started going downhill long before the new testament .

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Good question... im not a Christian either, but perhaps i can answer this...

It says "those that eat from the tree of life will have everlasting life"... In this case i would assume this tree was from God... planted by God or something along those lines...

Now personally i consider Genesis nothing more then a fairy tale considering "the creation" is flawed... Adam and Eve are a myth IMHO... simply because its a well known fact that the earth has been around much longer then what "christians" believe...

But compare the idea of "the tree of life" being from God... and this passage...

31Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat.

32Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.

33For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.

34Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread.

35And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

Now this tree is a physical thing i guess... And the "Bread" is His words and actions in his life time... Contrary to Christian rituals where you litterally have to eat a little cracker to symbolize your belief in him...

The actual meaning of "the bread" is his life and actions that are written about...

SO i would say no, Jesus is not the tree of life, that being an actual physical thing that Eve ate... Theres no need to eat anything with Jesus, the ritual is not necessary... only the understanding of what he taught

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Actually...technically...that was the tree of knowledge I think in the garden, but yeah....I get your point. Thats what I was aiming at too but was distracted while answering.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
from the original post:

This is a simple academic theological discussion.

Simple in your approach perhaps but not simple as far as the subject goes.
The question may be rephrased to:
1. Why the apparent change in attitude towards man's predicament in regards to life and death, between The Deity-type individual in the Garden of Eden story, and God, as presented in the New Testament?

2. Why the long time span between the two manifestations of the ("divine"?) being's regard towards mankind's life and death issues?

From the point of view of a believer in the New Testament, the book where we get these stories may be somewhat questionable as to how God is maybe or maybe not the same person as described therein, or if it was, the question arises: 'Was He described accurately in each particular account?'.

What lies directly above (in this post), 'the ambiguous nature of the identifications, or even the veracity of the identifications of individuals in that book', would have to fill in as a way to minimally satisfy the first question, in the ascendance of a readily obtainable fully satisfactory answer.

The second question is more straightforward, since this issue is addressed in the NT. Mankind was in a state of rebellion against authority and this seemed to be something tightly wound into the very nature of man. My proposition for how this affects the timing issue is that it took that long before there was a person who came about which would be capable of taking on the necessary "god-spirit" which would enable a human being to work through all the mandatory stages to gain the victory over the natural tendency common to all people.

OK, there is a question 3 which I am ignoring since it just depends on how far into the allegorical you want to go.
edit on 23-2-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
So, in the garden, the lord (and friends) didn't want the humans to live forever..hell, they didn't even want the humans to have knowledge..
So here comes Jesus, saying that to believe (or accept) him, you will live forever..going against the desires of the lord in the garden...

The difference in attitude comes because the situation has changed.

In the Christian understanding of the story, the disobedience in the garden has set up a state of "Sin" (the essence of which is a breach in the relationship between humanity and God). That is the reason why eternal life must be denied.

But the point of the gospel is that Christ has dealt with this problem, and thereby removed the obstacle. So the message found in Revelation is that those who belong to Christ receive renewed access to the tree of life.

We could regard the tree of life as a symbol for the life that comes direct from God, so a Christian could reasonably understand it as a symbol for Christ.

edit on 23-2-2012 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Just seems to me that Lord God is almost scared of us becoming immortal, and so took strong measures to prevent it.
Then later on...I guess decides to let us have a route to it anyhow.

To me, it seems like two separate beings working for completely different agendas..one trying to deny everlasting life, the other trying to give it...I find it difficult to understand how it can be the same being.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

One of them diagnoses a problem.
The other one cures it.
It's a partnership.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

This is "The Tree Of Life" as put forward by the Kabbalah, as I understand it.

Honestly, I believe Jesus taught the Torah. Moses was given the Torah by God, Moses handed it down to his people by oral tradition. Reading and writing were only for the scholarly elite.

Jesus said that he came to fulfill the law. I think Jesus addressed crowds according to their ability to understand him, teaching the mysticism of the Torah. He spoke in parables and I bet he talked with his hands a lot!
I really think that most of what Jesus taught is NOT in the Bible.

I bet he made such simple sense of the mysteries, but because he was so able to relate to his listeners, to speak to their hearts on a real personal level, that it was hard for the scribes to translate the unique message and it's impact on his followers.

This guy blows my mind! www.meru.org...

top topics

join