It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine makes last stand in foreclosed home

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I did a search and didn't see that this had been posted yet, so please disregard if it has.

usnews.msnbc.msn.com...

Arturo de los Santos lost his home to foreclosure more than a year ago and was evicted. But because he felt he was treated unfairly, he moved back into his home of 10 years in an effort to force the lender, Freddie Mac, to back down.

"I’m just a regular guy who gets up each day, takes the kids to school and goes to work," said de los Santos, a long-time aerospace factory supervisor who served five years in the Marine Corps. Now he is hunkered down in the modest three-bedroom house in Riverside, Calif., surrounded by an encampment of Occupy Riverside protesters and community activists. "We’ve done everything the way we were supposed to. We’re not going to just sit back and let Freddie Mac steal our home."

De los Santos told NBC Los Angeles that in 2009, the bank initially lowered his payment in a modification but then stopped taking his money.

I sure hope he wins. The article says that he's been threatened with arrest if he doesn't abandon the house and the sheriff could arrive at any moment to take him to jail.

The bank did the same thing to me where they simply wouldn't take my money. This should be illegal for the banks to reject legal tender. Something has to be done where the banks are held responsible for this misdeed against the American people. Refusing to take legal tender should be a violation and grounds for dismissal of said debt.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
the very bankers that put him to war to make other folks homeless in other countries...
when are people gonna learn?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
This is one helluva way to run a country......
The people alone should be deciding the fate of these banker shills//
Their phoney debt instruments and investments should be paid for with their moneys not ours.....
Foreclosure should be a legal move of absolute last resort. and allowed infrquently....force the banks to work with the people who they got in debt in the first place....................

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
He should be thrilled that he no longer has a life-long debt.

There is so much corruption in the mortgage industry... lenders selling out the mortgage multiple times to other lenders just to increase their debt-profits. It's sickening.

If I were him I'd be glad. Take your family and rent a decent place. He has the money to do it obviously.

I lost a home back in 2009. One of the best things that ever happened to me.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
the very bankers that put him to war to make other folks homeless in other countries...
when are people gonna learn?

I'm glad I'm not so alone on here noticing the military being used then abused.
If you stick up for the marines "lives" on here, military folks read you the riot act, if you support them being gun fodder, they love you.... friggen backwards world.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Something has to happen. The banks have been having it their way for far too long. People are waking up to how things are being run, but now it's been going on for so long that it's nearly impossible to stop The Machine.

We must think of ourselves as the cogs. When we allow ourselves to stop participating, The Machine will start to sputter and fall apart. More people have to band together though. The banksters must be forced to readjust all mortgages across the board or things are going to keep going downhill. They've caused this mess and we need to hold the funnel in their mouths and force them to eat it. I'm tired of them force feeding everyone else their BS and it's time they bellied up to the table.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

If you have taken on more than you can afford and can't pay anymore, that's the way it should be. When you're trying to take care of your debt and making every effort to bend to the wishes of the bank, then they decide that you're out anyways, this is wrong and it is a criminal act.

If I was a land lord and simply decided to quit taking your money because I simply felt like it, I'd expect the renters to take my arse to court where I'd have to explain my actions.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I hope it works out ok for him but knowing how the banking system works "World Wide" I have my doubts about a good ending to this story.

We both pray here for a happy ending to this bloody bulls**t crap that keeps going and going.
Wake up everyone and lets put an end to this right now!

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
PS
because of derivitives and credit default swaps...Gambling losses that are actually outright theft...
the banks had to get a whole bunch of assets onto the books or they would go under

so they inflated the hell out of house prices on the way up to create the financial vehicles based on debt
and then used those fictional values gained by illegal forclosures to stay solvent.

holy carp!
just googled "illegal forclosures legal" looking to see how that story was progressing, and i found this:

5,000 Active-Duty Military Foreclosures Reviewed for Violations of Law

news.firedoglake.com...

my sympathies OP... every homeless person due to evil
...veterans are terrorists dontcha know?

also eminent domain has been used to take houses from people who own them and they are then sold to private companies..in one case a pharma company in Virginnia I think it was..the home owners lost their homes and had to PAY over 60,000 dollars as a penalty for fighting it.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Just plain wrong.

Thanks for looking up that info and adding it t the thread.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
The day I watched the Senate hearing on HUD, Fanny and Freddy back in 2009 i think I knew we were screwed. The head of HUD sat there are blew smoke up the Senates butt for almost an hour till one Senator called him out. HUD was given tons of money to modify loans so people could afford to stay in their homes.

When the Senator asked him how many loans had been modified to date the HUD director said I don't have the figure on me but I know its a lot. Minutes later you see a helper for the Senator hand him a piece of paper and the Senator reamed him a new one because the amount of modifications was FOUR!!

That same time-frame I know of people who were very well off, who had their banks call them, offer to bring down their payments and principle when they did not even need it. Yet when I called the same bank in question, I was told no we don't offer that. I fought with them for months and got nothing in return.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Patriotsrevenge

It's so wrong. I'm sorry you had to go through all that when your friends were getting the red carpet treatment.
It is criminal that they were able to take all that bail out money promising to help people stay in their homes and barely did a damned thing. I find myself hoping that a meteor shower falls upon the Earth. Of course in my fantasy, the meteors only land on banks and the banksters' properties.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
i'm surprised more people aren't burning down their houses as long as it is safe to do so.

plan a family vacation, take a "solo" fishing trip, go back to your house and start a fire

get your house paid off and move on.

it's better than have it stolen by a corrupt banking system.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

When you borrow money to buy a house and then don't make payments, you own nothing. It is not his house, he is squatting in a home he does not own.

Yes the situation is sad, but you can't give people free homes, paid for by others simply because they cannot keep their promise to make the payments.

Considering how long it takes to foreclose, he lived there for a long time for free. Makes me wonder why he did not save his money to rent a place?

As to the Occupy kids, they just want attention. Take the cameras away they leave. There are children's art exhibits yet to be destroyed.

The lesson here? When you borrow money to buy something, you don't own it until the money is paid back. Most children understand that.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

What does that have to do with people who cannot pay back their loans? Most of us borrow the money, make the payments and then own our houses. Just like this man, we know in advance what the payments will be and the terms of the loan. Just like this man we buy a house with the borrowed money knowing full well if we don't pay the loan back the bank owns the house. A child could understand it easily.

When a person borrows money they cannot pay back you cannot blame the lender. The borrower took the money and it's gone. They used it to buy a house. You don't pay the lender owns it.

If the world owes the people who borrowed money they cannot pay back a free house, what does it owe honest responsible people who pay their loans back and work hard for what they have? Anything, or is it just the people don't pay their debts who are owed?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

How about this... (fictional scenario) I will regulate the housing market, inflating the values greatly, and offering once in a lifetime rates and deal for 1st time buyers.

Let's say you are starting a family and have saved up to buy that home you always wanted... not a problem sir. We just need 3% down and don't worry about your 1st month's payment, we can skip that one for you.

Now you have your 30 year loan and budget all worked out, and you use that 1st month's payment for furniture and such. You're on track now, doing the right stuff.

Cut to 3-5 years later, now I decide to ship your job overseas to save 25% on production costs. Not just you though, you and like 100,000 others just like you in your general area. What to do now? You weren't expecting this... not a problem you say? You got that "degree" and can find another job no problem? Ok then....

Cut to 1 year later, the unemployment checks aren't cutting it, the baby is sick and the medical insurance you NEED is taking most of your income... oops, car accident, didn't see that coming, now you got to get a new car if you want to get that new job. What do you do now? Pay the mortgage and miss that interview, or buy the car and skip 1 mortgage payment?

Now multiply those Murphy's Law circumstances by 100, and that is what is happening to MANY people right now going through foreclosure. Don't just cite the few who bought homes stupidly without the income needed, these foreclosures are happening to decent hard working people, not just the idiots.

Do you really believe it's all on the up and up? Really?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Blain
please note the word ILLEGAL forclosure

WASHINGTON -- A set of confidential federal audits accuse the nation’s five largest mortgage companies of defrauding taxpayers in their handling of foreclosures on homes purchased with government-backed loans, four officials briefed on the findings told The Huffington Post.

The five separate investigations were conducted by the Department of Housing and Urban Development’s inspector general and examined Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase, Wells Fargo, Citigroup and Ally Financial, the sources said.

The audits accuse the five major lenders of violating the False Claims Act, a Civil War-era law crafted as a weapon against firms that swindle the government. The audits were completed between February and March, the sources said. The internal watchdog office at HUD referred its findings to the Department of Justice, which must now decide whether to file charges.

The federal audits mark the latest fallout from the national foreclosure crisis that followed the end of a long-running housing bubble. Amid reports last year that many large lenders improperly accelerated foreclosure proceedings by failing to amass required paperwork, the federal agencies launched their own probes.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

You must have missed the part where the bank wouldn't take his money.

I already stated that I agreed if someone stops paying or admits they can't pay, they should leave.

The banks did the same thing to me where they simply refused my money. Nowhere in my mortgage loan agreement did it state that the bank could decide at any time to refuse my money and kick me out. If it in fact stated this, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on. I bet the bank is wishing right now that they had included that on many mortgage agreements since they've done this to many people and are going to have to face the music eventually.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

As it so happens, there were many fires reported during Thanksgiving and Christmas this year.
You just never know.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Wow Blaine. Really? Nice way to comment on article you haven't even read. The banks literally refused to accept his money. How is that his fault again? This is a guy wanting to pay his bills and the people he owes refusing to accept legal tender to screw him over and take his house and the money he already paid them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join