It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Washington State, requiring health insurers to cover abortion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

In Washington State, requiring health insurers to cover abortion

www.washingtonpost.com

House Bill 2330 would require all health plans that offer maternity care to also provide coverage for terminating a pregnancy, with a conscience exemption for those that may have a religious objection to such coverage. The law, currently pending in the Washington State Senate, would kick in this summer. And it’s a notable counterpoint to the eight states that have recently passed legislation that bars insurers from covering abortions.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
While I consider myself Pro-choice, I also believe that the government should not be subsidizing this practice. Just as I feel it is not the government's responsibility to give my tax dollars to a politically favored or politically connected company, they should not be using the tax dollars of someone who is against abortion to pay for it.

In the same vein, I can not support what this article is talking about. Government should not be telling private insurance companies what they include on their plans. As the notion of a “President Santorum” grows from “not a chance in hell” to “under the right conditions, terrifyingly possible” here’s something progressives should keep in mind on this stuff: a government powerful enough to force private insurers to cover birth control or abortion is a government powerful enough to forbid them from it.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2/22/2012 by FSBlueApocalypse because: Clarify my position

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Why legalize killing babies? Perhaps we should re-look at the murder laws?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
abstinence is free, and in ways fun too.

Abortion Insurance...I wouldn't fret. Before long it will be federally mandated and government paid.
By this I mean "Lost Girls in China" not only in China for long

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by FSBlueApocalypse

I also believe that the government should not be subsidizing this practice. Just as I feel it is not the government's responsibility to give my tax dollars to a politically favored or politically connected company, they should not be using the tax dollars of someone who is against abortion to pay for it.

I don't see where there's a taxpayer subsidy here - isn't this just mandating that maternity insurance will include abortion cover?

I'm not in the US, so if there's some built in subsidy for health insurance I dont' know about it....

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
You'd think insurance providers would already cover this.

It's cheaper than the costs related to delivery and a hella lot cheaper than the long-term care for the kid.

Most providers will cover vasectomies. Why not abortions. Paying out the rear for birthing and raising a kid is bad business.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Originally posted by FSBlueApocalypse

I also believe that the government should not be subsidizing this practice. Just as I feel it is not the government's responsibility to give my tax dollars to a politically favored or politically connected company, they should not be using the tax dollars of someone who is against abortion to pay for it.

I don't see where there's a taxpayer subsidy here - isn't this just mandating that maternity insurance will include abortion cover?

I'm not in the US, so if there's some built in subsidy for health insurance I dont' know about it....

The US government does give out tax dollars to organizations that perform abortions and in some states there are government run programs that provide abortions for free or reduced cost.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

You're right. This isn't about tax payer dollars. People are so up in arms about all the birth control talk, they jump on unrelated stories, not even reading them or knowing what the story is about... :shk:

Just a little reminder: My health insurance premiums pay for my health insurance coverage. The government is not involved.

Stand down, people.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

The second part of my post deals with the article and why I oppose it. Ultimately the government should not have any control on what a private insurance company can or can not offer.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
The reason why I disagree that this should be covered by health insurance is fairly simple:

Abortion is an "elected surgery". Elected surgerys are not covered under medical insurance. It should only be covered if it is a necessary health emergency.

new topics

top topics

join