It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Earth Shrinking?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I would like to discuss others peoples feelings about this... I've heard said that the moon was formed from another celestial body hitting the earth of course that means that a huge chunk of the Earth was expelled into space and the dust and debris left over formed the moon. This would explain the idea of Pangea and why the land masses are moving. So the continents move to fill the hole created and as this happens the diameter of the Earth shrinks...

m.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
No. The Earth is expanding, which also explains Pangaea...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mikem

this one is full version

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Tectonic plate shift explains Pangea and all the rest continents past, present and future.

en.wikipedia.org...
www.moorlandschool.co.uk...

Check this site out for detailed maps of the earth at different times in our history.
www.scotese.com...

And is the earth shrinking? uummmm no.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

I like the video and ok that could be an explantion but it doesn't seem right to me. How is it that the Earth is growing... you would need minerals constantly flowing into it. If the Earth was smaller then the gravity would have been heavier so the animal life would have had to be smaller.. yet we have dinosaurs with huge masses... larger insects and sea life.

Then there is the talk about the moon being created by something hitting the Earth.

So what if...

The Earth use to be twice its size now... something hit it and took a chunk of it out.. like biting an apple.. the dust and debris formed the moon and the continents started pulling apart to fill the void.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
no one know for sure what is core of earth... all are just theories ... now, do U know that all grow large millions years a go? all, plants, animals, insect... atc. why? cos gravity was lower then today... why? cos earth was smaller! make sense? i think so

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
It's great that somebody posted the Neal Adams video. If you go to his website you'll see that ALL the planets in our solar system are expanding in a similar way. Of particular interest is how the newer sections of planets caused by stretching clearly show less craters. Data from NASA shows that the phenomenon of global warming is also occurring across the entire solar system. The sun is also heating up and increasing sunspot activity. It has to do with the intensity of the energy fields the solar system is passing through. As a galaxy evolves it expands, causing the stars in it to continuously move away from the black hole in the center.

As for the material needed for earth expansion, I go with the hollow earth theory. Centrifugal force keeps the earth round, no new material is necessary.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ZakOlongapo

Actually the closer you are to the core the higher the gravity so if the Earth had more outer mass the outer part of the Earths gravity would have been less... and then if something were to remove that outer mass and the core which is denser would still be the same size then the outer mass would be closer to the core which would make gravity higher?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mikem

The origins of the moon are all "theories", none of them are 100% fact. The general public does not have the exact information of the origins of the moon. A scientific fact is a consensus of scientists going with the best theory at the time, which changes over time as new science is discovered, or rediscovered I should say.

Life grows, that's it's general direction. Ever notice how the Earth seems to bust threw cracks in the sidewalks over time? The Earth is growing, planets are growing, stars are growing, and we are growing. The "extra matter" the Earth receives is from the sun as time passes.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mikem

no, dont agree... what if in core is something like oposit of black hole... and all mass is just apering from somewhere else... i know sci-fi.... but imaginable
.... but now i have problem my self with hollow earth theory

exuse my english, still learning...
edit on 22-2-2012 by ZakOlongapo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Ok side walk cracks are not because the earth is growing... shifting yes, but not growing.

I do understand that everyday the earth is collecting space debris and could technically have that measured and be considered growth.. however I find it hard to believe that the Earth is creating mass out of nothing. If the laws of physics allowed that then everything in the universe would do the same thing, yet if everything did you would be able to measure it because of relativity.

So I still can't believe that the Earth is "growing" from nothing..

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mikem

How does the constant flow of solar energy = nothing?

We water a plant, it grows. Water + sun = growth
We eat food and grow more mass, food + water = growth
The Earth is showered by solar radiation daily, sun = growth

You have to step out of the narrow box of stagnant science and see the inter-connections between everything. If you want to choose to believe that continents are islands floating around and that Guam might capsize from overpopulation someday, have fun with that. It's good to explore alternative theories sometimes, like the kind that make more sense.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

First off I don't believe that the continents are "floating" I just wanted to talk about the possiblilty of the earth shrinking

Yeah I can see that the sun is making the earth grow that way... and I do entertain the old ideas..

I am the one thinking out side of the box

"You have to step out of the narrow box of stagnant science and see the inter-connections between everything"

Of course you have too... and the facts you have shown are from inside that narrow box of stagnant science...

I'm tossing a thought and theory out and instead of rolling the idea over as a possiblilty you have declared my idea as crap and dismissed it. I am not saying I'm correct I just want to think about other possiblitys.

m.
edit on 22-2-2012 by mikem because: didnt preview first

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Then that would mean the mainstream theory is entirely flawed. The mainstream theory claims that there has been several phases of supercontinents and that we will have at least one more in the future.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

Mainstream also tells us that modern man lived in caves and huts for 200 thousand years or more before deciding to actually advance..

Thats why i want to talk about this.... I think that it is more likely that the Earth use to be bigger.. Our moon is a giant for our planet which is out of the norm..

Earth is not typical by any standard

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Until the 1950's or so the expanding earth theory was wildly excepted.

Even U.S. Navy satellite photos support it. The deep oceans bottoms are younger than the dry continents.

We landed men on the moon 39 years go.

Items left there for scientific purposes show that the moon is now 39 inches further away than the day man stepped on the moon.

The moon is moving away to keep in harmonic balance with the planet that has grown by 39 inches in that amount of time.

If the planet was not enlarging them why is it that all ancient civilizations found around the world are buried?

We have to DIG DOWN to find it.

If the planet was always the same size then wouldn't it all just be lying there to be re-used?

There are ancient civilizations in the coastal waters of most places.

Ancient Alexandria is now underwater.

Pisa,Italy used to be a port city.

They are uncovering the port now within sight of the leaning bell tower and the basilica.

If you would want to walk from the old port to the sea now put on sturdy walking shoes,it is a hike.

The elephant,the largest land animal can barely walk in this atmospheric pressure known as gravity.

So how did dinosaurs which would tower over an elephant be capable of moving around unless the gravity was less.

Extremely tall people suffer from gravity's effect on their bodies.

But,there is evidence of GIANT ancient people all over the world.

The pyramids in Egypt today can not be built with modern technology.

But GIANT people living on a planet with less gravity could.

The only way this planet could have had less gravity is if it was smaller in size.

Even today the GPS satellites orbiting the earth have built in algorithms to compensate for the shifting size of the earth.

They all are constantly triangulating with known land point receivers so they are accurate.

It is NOT coincidence that all the land masses when viewed on a globe seem to be capable of fitting together.

Every school child with any rational thought has observed that.

But they will only fit together if the planet is 1/3 smaller than the size it is now.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by IamJustanAmerican

you get a star for the well stated facts as for ancient civilizations being buried.. the outer layer of the earth is definitely moving in all directions, weather has a big part of burying history.. that doesn't mean the planet is enlarging...

Here is the thing ok.. as I have posted I know and fully believe that the earth is gaining mass from space debris

What I am saying is that I think the earth was bigger than it is now.. maybe the title of this thread should've been " Did the Earth use to be bigger".. my first thread so...

Gravity is actually relative to the earths core... and if this planet was bigger and then got hit and lost a chunk of mass... the core would still be the same... the closer you get to the core the HIGHER the pressure... which means if earths outer crust use to be closer to the core the gravity at sea lvl would have been MORE.

So here is where I'm having issues with it I suppose... its the gravity point.. the dinosaurs and like you said the elephant... if the earths "crust" is steadly getting further from the core gravity should be getting less for us... however this isn't the case.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Hello! I wanted to say that dinosaurs and insects were bigger because of the oxygen levels; it has nothing to do with gravity.

National Geographic

Also, do you know Zeccharia Sitchin? He translated old Mesopotamian tablets and in it, it told the story of the Earth as being Tiamat, a bigger planet located where there is now the asteroid belt. It got smashed by a moon of Nibiru, and part of it became the asteroid belt, and the other part reformed as Earth, after being ejected from its initial orbit to where Earth now is.

But your idea is interesting, nonetheless. Although I subscribe to the idea of the Earth growing.

Peace!

top topics

join