It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immortality and eternal life possible? ♣

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Came across this very interesting video today which shed some light on research currently been done on why people die from the moment they are born and how it may be possible to stop this process.

Imagine if we could stop our body clocks, never grow old, never die naturally, would we even want to live such a life? Either way this video amazes me to be honest.

One of the most interesting things in the video is this quote:

"A true to life immortal human being WILL walk the earth by 2045"

The Russians Believe it to be entirely possible.

I hope this video was as interesting for you as i found it to be

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
It will be possible. We have prolonged life expectancy and continue doing so every year. The extension of life expectancy because of modern medicine has benefited our species because it has provided us more time to enjoy life. 100 years from now, the average Human may be expected to live to 200 years because science will have revolutionized how we treat certain cancers and disease, and will be able to reverse many of the things that kill us today. There will always be new threats out there though that emerge for us to eliminate. HIV is relatively new, before that Syphilis was killing, before that something else.
edit on 22-2-2012 by theBigToe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Hmm, this would pose a lot of questions...

The first thing that sprang to mind was, I presume they mean immortal as in not ageing and dying but I would presume they could still be killed? Like in an accident or something.

Imagine the horror if you were in a horrific car accident but couldn't die

The second thing that sprang to mind was the simple thing of feeding, housing and clothing all those extra people. Where would we put them? How would we feed them? Would we even need to feed them?

I think it's one of those "ideals" or dreams that should be left in fantasy world than become a reality.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mister_Bit

The first thing that sprang to mind was, I presume they mean immortal as in not ageing and dying but I would presume they could still be killed? Like in an accident or something.

The second thing that sprang to mind was the simple thing of feeding, housing and clothing all those extra people. Where would we put them? How would we feed them? Would we even need to feed them?

I think it's one of those "ideals" or dreams that should be left in fantasy world than become a reality.

Easy, if you want the Immortality pill, you get sterilised

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Not possible
After so many upgrades you're not human anymore
You'll be a modified machinepple

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by CaLyps0

The video isn't ALL about that, it describes slowing down the chemicals inside us that cause us to age

edit on 22/2/12 by TedHodgson because: spelling

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
i imagine if a person could look young and never die they would really take their time doing things. Right now we try to accomplish so much in our life before we go but i would assume that wouldn't be the case when this starts to take place. I hope there is enough food and space to go around..places are going to begin getting real crowded.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I understand and the technology probably already exists and is kept in underground laboratories.
Cell regeneration is here from my sources
regardless humans will continue to die
You can try to slow the process all you want
But when it's your time to go that's God's will.
edit on 22-2-2012 by CaLyps0 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-2-2012 by CaLyps0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Immortality, let alone prolonged life, is a dangerous thing. Overpopulation is already becoming a problem, with overpopulation the standard of living drops severely. It would not be bad if we had less people on the Earth, and perhaps had more healthy environmental habits, but given the path were on currently, immortality would be an awful thing. Besides, who would really want to live forever?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
who wants to live forever???? Not me...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Immortality yes bring it on! When its discovered it will be supressed and the science of it would never be released for nation security. Imagine a billion people who have access to living for 200, 700 or 9,000 years old who have multiple children, its not a smart move for earth's population unless having outer resourced planets besides our current home.
edit on 22-2-2012 by anthonygillespie2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maponos

Originally posted by Mister_Bit

Easy, if you want the Immortality pill, you get sterilised

Yeah, sterilization could be one option, or even temp sterilization; ie if at any point you want kids you and your spouse would have to begin to age normally again.

Of course, there is another option, the human race could also actually grow up, stop fighting and get the hell off the planet, as well.

The fact is the earth and this solar system has plenty of room and resources for trillions upon trillions of people and we would probably already be in space, if our world leaders weren't evil scum.

edit on 22-2-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typos

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
i would think the secret to immortality has already been discovered and the drawbacks of such a thing on the entire world would be so negative that they stashed it in the indiana jones secret government warehouse spielberg loves so much as a last ditch plan B contingency against extra-terrestrials or some earth ending cataclysm-/endtruth

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Prolonging the life of our biology indefinitely is not without precedent. Single-celled organisms do this all the time. It is us multi-celled organisms that have the peculiar trait of our cell cultures dying off after decades of mitosis.

The running theory is that we sacrificed this ability to preserve the function of the whole cell culture as opposed to the life. Telomerasse-enabled cells tend to be subject to mutations that are later passed on to other cells that divide from them, and so on. Today, our immune systems are fairly effective at identifying and eliminating mutated cells. The exceptions are cancerous cells - which simply divide and reproduce at a rate so hideously fast as to be insurmountable by our body's defensive systems. However, in the dawn of multi-celled organisms (particularly those that reproduce sexually), it's quite likely that we didn't have effective means of purging mutated cells from our bodies, and the only way to preserve function long enough to reproduce was through the sacrificing of an eternal cell line.

This is, somewhat, evidenced by the higher incidence of cancer amongst laboratory-bred mice as opposed to their wild counterparts (with longer and shorter telomeres, respectively; correlating to longer life with higher incidence of cancer and shorter, less-cancer-prone life).

It is, therefor, reasonable to presume two possibilities (that are not mutually exclusive):

1) Telomerasse is enabled on human cell lines with the fortification of the immune system to make cancers a subject of historical academia.

2) Telomerasse is temporarily enabled to restore existing and healthy cell lines, the process managed to balance risks of cancers against detriments of aging.

Although there are other factors involved with aging that are not related to telomerasse - so there are issues to be addressed, there.

However - the prospect of a human mind that persists through hundreds of years of life is a more interesting issue. Is senility caused by the degradation of the proteins in the brain... or by the clutter of information and its links within the mind? Or a combination of both?

Can the human mind actually survive living, say, 300 years? Or would we reach a point where we were simply too senile? Similar to the "rampant" concept explored in the AI constructs of the Halo universe.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I envision a future where nutrition is custom produced by organisms and/or nanobots that live within our body.

We will infect ourselves with bacteria/fungus/nanotech robots or other microorganisms that produce all the nutrition we need. These microorganisms will be genetically engineered custom to our individual bodies - to produce optimum levels of vitamins, minerals, fats, amino acids, etc...

Perhaps we will drink a liquid formula that the bacteria will metabolize in to everything our bodies need, in perfect ratios.

I think our digestive system would still require that solid food move through it to keep the organs and muscles healthy. And there needs to be solids and fiber moving through our intestines to push the nutrients up against the intestinal wall for proper absorption. But the bulk of nutrition will not be derived from this solid food.

This won't lead to immortality on its own, but it will be a tremendous boon to overall health and longevity.
edit on 25-2-2012 by JohnnyTHSeed because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join