Something weird about my dreams...

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I would be interested to see if anyone else has experienced, or is experiencing, this. Here's what I noticed about my dreams:

- I often have dreams where I experience "life-like" situations like being in a classroom and studying something, or walking through cities shopping, or remodeling a house, etc. When I have those dreams, often my husband and/or son are with me, but often it's also friends from my past that I don't have any contact with anymore.

- In those life-like dreams, I usually have a complete memory of the past -- not my "real" past in this life, but a complete history that belongs to the dream, and only to the dream. For example, I sit in that aforementioned classroom and remember exactly that last week I took an exam, the week before I was hanging out with a friend from that class, and so forth.

- Often these dreams are ongoing, i.e., I fall asleep and continue the classroom dream from a week ago, and the memory of that classroom scene will have been added to my memories that I have in that "life." (It really feels like it's a complete life, not just one standalone dream scene.)

- I recently dreamed that my husband and I had just moved into a new house in the city, from a rural area. Some people we wanted to do business with were coming to the new house, and I was cleaning up a bit. Wandering through the house, I noticed some old green wallpaper and remembered that we had talked months ago about tearing that down, but had never gotten around to it, and I felt a little embarrassed.

So, there's a whole history and connected memories in those dreams, just like in this life. Sometimes I'm wondering how real this life actually is, or if the other ones might be just as real. I already told the story many times on ATS how on the day of 9/11 I woke up and listened to the radio and everything felt completely surreal, and then I lay down for a nap and dreamed of a totally ordinary day. When I woke up, I said to my husband, "I just had the most bizarre dream... someone flew planes into the WTC," and then I realized THAT was the reality and the ordinary day had been the dream. Or had it? Ever since, I'm not so sure anymore what's reality and what's not.

- I've also had dreams within dreams within dreams years ago (not so much recently). I.e., I was chased by a wicked witch and then I would wake up in my bedroom... but then all of a sudden that wicked witch would be there, and I would realize I was still asleep... until I finally really woke up. Very disorienting and scary.

- One thing I also noticed is that when I wake up from a dream and am still in that drowsy state and wish to continue the dream for a little while longer, I have to stay on the same side I'm lying on that moment. If, say, I had the dream lying on my right side, it will vanish immediately if I turn on my left side, and vice versa. If I stay on that side, though, I can quite easily slip back into the dream and continue where I was.

- I noticed that I only ever have nightmares lying on my right side; never when I lie on my left. So when I do have the rare nightmare (they're almost all about vampires chasing me down, don't know why), I just have to turn on my other side to make the dream stop and go away.

- About the nightmares: I also noticed that nearly every month shortly before the full moon I get nightmares. Sometimes it's ON the full moon, but more often 2-3 days before it's full, and it's usually only ONE night. Another thing that's weird is that I get nightmares almost guaranteed when I leave the blinds up and the full moon shines into my face. If I put the blinds down, I usually don't get them.

How about you? I'm excited to hear your input.
edit on 22-2-2012 by sylvie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I try not to have too many dreams now as once (a couple of months back) I was trying to get answers and ended up in.. en.wikipedia.org...

Or hell

Or a lower realm or whatever.

PS ive never been able to return to a dream, I presume you have an interest and wonder if you have used any special techniques over the years to help you control your dreaming?

I have also never been able to "control" a dream once in it.
edit on 22-2-2012 by Maponos because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I would like to hear about your "Muspell" dream if you want to share. No, I'm usually not controlling my dreams, although sometimes I'm able to become aware that I'm dreaming and either just make myself wake up or change the dream in my favor -- that goes specifically for nightmares.

I remember one dream I had a long time ago, where some evil guy tried to trap me -- just in time, I remembered that I was in a dream and managed to half-bounce, half-fly out of the trap. But that's rare.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by sylvie

I believe the people we meet in our life times, are our familiar souls. These are souls we share a connection with forever. These people in your dreams I believe could be your familiars. They might even be having the same dream as you, known as a shared dream experience, which of course will be real to a certain extent.

Your dreams can be very realistic, you can as you may already know control your dreams consciously, called lucid dreaming. Also you may have heard about astral projection which is similar, and might be as real as this waking reality.

As for laying still after waking, it will help your dream recollection, not sure of the reason, I'll have to look it up. And very strange about the nightmares on a fullmoon, I have no idea about that, I've never noticed myself. I'll have to remember to look outside next time I have a nightmare.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21

I believe the people we meet in our life times, are our familiar souls. These are souls we share a connection with forever. These people in your dreams I believe could be your familiars. They might even be having the same dream as you, known as a shared dream experience, which of course will be real to a certain extent.

I've been wondering if those people I knew and meet in my dreams might be having the same dream. Unfortunately there's no way to find out.

Your dreams can be very realistic, you can as you may already know control your dreams consciously, called lucid dreaming. Also you may have heard about astral projection which is similar, and might be as real as this waking reality.

Of course I've heard of astral projection, but don't want to try it -- too scary for me. I don't want to run into the lowlifes in the astral realm, for example. I've had some experiences with them years ago and don't care to repeat them -- on their turf, nonetheless.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I sometimes have continuations of old dreams, or at least what feels like a continuation. I don't think too much of it, but then again I often have strange dreams so something has to be REALLY weird for it to phase me, lol.

It is interesting that you have memories of different lives, perhaps you are tapping into different timelines in said dreams?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy
I sometimes have continuations of old dreams, or at least what feels like a continuation. I don't think too much of it, but then again I often have strange dreams so something has to be REALLY weird for it to phase me, lol.

It is interesting that you have memories of different lives, perhaps you are tapping into different timelines in said dreams?

That's what I thought... maybe it's different timelines. Who knows? I'm also wondering sometimes whether I really remember, say, that last week I was in this same classroom taking an exam, or whether I'm just DREAMING that I had this classroom dream last week, i.e., making up a history/continuation in my dream. It's all very confusing.

I'm amazed, though, that no one else seems to have this left side/right side phenomenon. Sometimes I feel like the dream is "stored" in one of my brain hemispheres and can only be recouped by that side -- so if I turn onto my other side, my brain kinda sloshes around a bit and the dream is gone.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sylvie

That's interesting, what did you experience? If you don't mind discussing it of course.

They will try to scare you from doing it, but remember there are also many great and wonderful things out there too.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Lol, there is absolutely noting weird about any of that. What you've described is the standard dreaming experience.

Originally posted by sylvie
- In those life-like dreams, I usually have a complete memory of the past -- not my "real" past in this life, but a complete history that belongs to the dream, and only to the dream. For example, I sit in that aforementioned classroom and remember exactly that last week I took an exam, the week before I was hanging out with a friend from that class, and so forth.

What's interesting about that, is that if you are ever lucid (know you are dreaming) and try to remember details from your real waking life, they are as difficult to remember as dreams.

Those false dream memories are created as needed.

- Often these dreams are ongoing, i.e., I fall asleep and continue the classroom dream from a week ago, and the memory of that classroom scene will have been added to my memories that I have in that "life." (It really feels like it's a complete life, not just one standalone dream scene.)

I have another dream life with a wife and kids. The first time I remembered that dream, I felt so bad that I could have ever forgotten about the woman I loved so much. I still kind of miss her.

- I've also had dreams within dreams within dreams years ago (not so much recently). I.e., I was chased by a wicked witch and then I would wake up in my bedroom... but then all of a sudden that wicked witch would be there, and I would realize I was still asleep... until I finally really woke up. Very disorienting and scary.

That there is a DILD, a dream induced lucid dream. My preferred method of achieving lucidity since it requires no effort on my part other than watching lots of scifi and horror.

- One thing I also noticed is that when I wake up from a dream and am still in that drowsy state and wish to continue the dream for a little while longer, I have to stay on the same side I'm lying on that moment. If, say, I had the dream lying on my right side, it will vanish immediately if I turn on my left side, and vice versa. If I stay on that side, though, I can quite easily slip back into the dream and continue where I was.

Yes. Dreams are either left brained or right brained. I've noticed that sleeping on your side tends to determine which brain hemisphere is dominant during the dream. I assume it's because there is more blood flow to the half of your brain resting against the pillow due to gravity. You can't make sense of a left brain dream with the right brain, which is why you can't change positions.

- I noticed that I only ever have nightmares lying on my right side; never when I lie on my left. So when I do have the rare nightmare (they're almost all about vampires chasing me down, don't know why), I just have to turn on my other side to make the dream stop and go away.

The so called left brain which controls the right side or your body is the more emotional side, the right brain (left side) being more logical. It's your emotions that are responsible for nightmares being so terrifying, so it makes sense that lying on your right side would produce a more emotional left brained dream.

- About the nightmares: I also noticed that nearly every month shortly before the full moon I get nightmares. Sometimes it's ON the full moon, but more often 2-3 days before it's full, and it's usually only ONE night. Another thing that's weird is that I get nightmares almost guaranteed when I leave the blinds up and the full moon shines into my face. If I put the blinds down, I usually don't get them.

That's interesting. It never occurred to me to check how the full moon effects dreams. Luckily there is a wealth of online dream journals available. I'll have to look into that.
edit on 22-2-2012 by The Cusp because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sylvie

Here... try this:

Who else seems to go to the same place every night in their dreams?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I have noticed lately that my dreams have become way more vivid. I am able to remember them even a couple days later. It's almost like I'm not even dreaming any more but I'm actually experiencing the "dreams" Reminds me of Inception.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by sylvie

My dreams have pretty much been realistic as well. Sometimes I realize I'm dreaming though and can change them, just to have fun.

My worst dreams though have been dreaming about work and all the things that accompany a stressful day. Then I wake up mentally exhausted and realize...I have to go to work.

There I am thinking to myself, "Hell, I've already been there."

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I was only thinking the other day why my dreams 'disappear' when I move and roll over.
I didn't realise the act of rolling over was making them go away.

Thanks for that, I will try to not move until I have secured the dreams, as I love my dreams. Its like having a movie channel I can change the story if I want, and also be the star.LOL

I have gone back into a dream if it's a good one.

One dream got shared by three members of my family; myself and my two teenagers. It was about a house and its grounds. We were buying it so I saw the before it was ours and just after, and downstairs. The kids saw upstairs and after we had redecorated it, and the grounds.

It was over the course of one week and we found although our dreams were of the same house, we were seeing different parts of the house that overlapped and could be put together like a map.
It was lovely and I wish we were already there (If it exists.)

All together we had had 5 dreams about this house.

I used to have deja vu dreams, where i would be in a situation I knew that I had alrady dreamt about. But in the last year I have had probably one deja vu dream.
It was that the last time we saw my Hubby's dad would be the last time we would actually see him. Shame as he was the nicest Grandad.

What's weird is that I don't seem to have these any more. Any ideas why?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I remember I once had a Groundhog Day sort of repeating dream. I remember I was leading a covert team inside a building complex. It was dark except we had something on to aid our vision. Anyway at one point we didn't have anything to aid our vision in a large dark room with some metal chairs. Someone stumbled on a chair and made some noise. Suddenly gunfire and a hail of bullets erupted from the other side of the large room as enemy soldiers or a group of people came in shooting. I felt one bullet hit me, then another and one of those went into my heart. I kept waking up but felt no pain. The 4th time I had that dream, I remembered vaguely not to go in that room and told my guys to go around to the other side to check things out. After that no more repeating dream of getting shot. What was strange was that I had this dream before I knew what key cards and several other things were. I had this dream over 20 to 30 years ago when I was a teenager and didn't own a computer and didn't know what I was seeing in my dream.

Sometimes when I dream, it seems like I am in the body of different people not my own body. One time I thought about astral travel and I dreamed I was a ghost. After floating out of my house and exploring a bit, I remember creeping around someone's dark bedroom. Then suddenly a female saw me. She screamed this blood curdling scream. It was like her scream scared the living daylights out of me and I felt like I flew back in an instant and then woke up. That was a strange dream I thought. I read some people say astral travel is real or OBE but they say it doesn't seem like a dream. What I experienced seemed like a dream so I believe that's all it was.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by orionthehunter

Those repeat dreams can be fun. I had a triple repeat of a zombie dream, First time around, I was foraging for food and weapons, then went to a space shuttle to abandon the earth, which turned into a zero g space orgy (because we had to repopulate the earth. Second time I knew where all the good weapons were and where to avoid the major dangers. Third time I was only rescuing hot girls for the space orgy at the end.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
You sound very similar to me.
It is very rare that i forget my dreams and 99% of the time they are very strange or involve, lucid dreams, dreams within dreams within dremas, dreams where i know i'm dreaming and try my hardest to wake up, sleep paralysis, false awakenings and the strangest one.. I'm not sure if i can describe this properly, its like a lucid dream.. but i really don't know I'm dreaming. It's like im dreaming that im lucid dreaming.. yeah..weird.
Occasionally, every 3 months or so, I'll have a movie-like dream. Where theres a beginning, middle and a twist at the end that even I didnt expect, and it feels like it goes on for the entire night.
Sometimes I'd have a dream and then many years later I'd be back in the same place.. continuing or sometimes repeating the same dream.

Once I had a dream..there wasnt any movement, just a sign. I would see a sign, then wake up and go back to sleep and see it again.. this happened about 5 times. The last time it happened I knew i was dreaming, I took the time to actually read the sign. It was like one of those wanted signs from the western movies. It had a photo of some guy, don't really remember his face now. Underneath was his name, although I only remember his first name and first letter of his last name, it was Danny T. I was trying my hardest to wake up when i suddenly heard a voice, not my own, warning me. It said, "No, don't wake up yet, remember this face, remember this name whatever you do, don't wake up" I kept struggling to wake up and when I finally did I was pretty tripped out.
I wish I had paid more attention now to the face, but thats all i got from it. Don't know if it was a real warning, but that was a few years ago and still no sign of Danny T lol

This is actually another one, not strange, just a laugh.
I had a dream that my mate had called me and asked if I wanted to go the the zoo. I said ok and asked how long he would be. He said in a few hours so I went back to sleep (in my dream). About an hour later I woke up abruptly,(in real life) thinking I had overslept. I called my mate to ask how long he'd be and if we were still going to the zoo... he had no idea what I was talking about.

Do you have any other dreams that spring to mind that you'd like to share?

new topics
top topics

join