It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians, in the faith? : Examine Yourselves According to Scripture!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

That reply in itself is for another topic! re the Holy Bible.
Maybe KJV1611 or NotUrtypical has the thread on this- If I recall correctly?

OK .. understood. You do not wish to be saved according to the "plan of salvation" in the Bible ; you feel you are saved your way .

I respect people's rights to their own beliefs /choices but this does sadden me - that folk continual reject the LOVE and unmerited pardon /grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus -the simplicity that is in Christ ...to be saved.

Again, you are your own man and will one day stand before Him in judgment although you may not agree there either. I pray that you stand complete in Him on that day.... He loves you - gave His life for you!
Have to run now.
Later!

edit on 22-2-2012 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci

Originally posted by windword
"The Word," the Bible was written by the church, the Catholic Church, and the church is the ultimate deceiver. God has delivered me from Christianity and given me eternal salvation. Thanks

When you say "written" do you mean compiled or do you actually believe it was penned by the leadership of the Church? Just curious

A little of both, I believe, especially the Pauline papers. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
X-tianity and other religions are very clever self perpetuating memes. Here is the description of a successful meme:

meme (noun) 1 : an idea, belief or belief system, or pattern of behavior that spreads throughout a culture either vertically by cultural inheritance (as by parents to children) or horizontally by cultural acquisition (as by peers, information media, and entertainment media)
2 : a pervasive thought or thought pattern that replicates itself via cultural means; a parasitic code, a virus of the mind especially contagious to children and the impressionable

Please pay most attention to number 2.
Religion has got you all by the golly's and it is self preserving as much as perpetuating because any disobedience or individual doubt is taken care of immediately by either threat of suffering or simply by calling you an enemy. You have no chance to ever free yourself from religion unless you are brave enough and have FAITH [hahaha, pun totally intended] that nothing bad will happen to you without it.
Being free of a man made religion does not stop you from being spiritual. But then again the religious types usually aren't the most philosophical or deep people and it would be difficult for them to handle the responsibility of their own actions. Therefore it is like swimming against the stream trying to reason with those lost souls who follow blindly.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerLou
If you do not believe the Bible, then you cannot call yourself a Christian period... so no need responding here.

You warn against believing religious dogma, but it appears that you have given yourself over to the greatest dogma of all- that the Bible is the word of God. The Bible is NOT the Word, Jesus is the Word. Even the Bible itself informs us of this:

John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Revelation 19:13
And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

The Bible is made up of numerous stories written by various human authors and gathered together into a collection by an early religious organization. Some of it is reliable while some of it reflects the beliefs of its human authors rather than the intent of God. That should be self-evident as a pure and perfect God would not condone the owning of slaves, much less give instructions on punching a hole through a slave's ear with an awl to denote ownership.

And your whole diatribe on self-examination flies in the face of OSAS (once saved always saved), that is unless you are one of those who have fallen for the greatest deception of all that one must earn a spot in Heaven through works. Rest assured, if we have to depend on our own works and abilities to earn a spot in Heaven then Heaven will be empty, because there is absolutely NOTHING you can do to earn God's favor.

Isaiah 64:6
But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

We're all condemned through sin, no one can escape that through all the good acts in the world. Steal a pen from work and you are as guilty in sin as a rapist or murderer. God doesn't have a sliding scale when it comes to sin. It's all filthy rags to Him regardless of our perception of what's "good" and "bad".

Salvation is a gift, we cannot earn it:

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Let's say you have a child that you love very much, and have been stashing money away for their future, through your own sacrifice. Now the day comes when this child is accepted to medical school. You tell him/her that you have been saving money, just for this. Your child doesn't believe you. "How can this be? I have watched you all my life and never saw you deposit a single dollar."

Do you disown him/her? Do you withhold the money because they don't believe you? NO!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

reply to post by Starchild23

nice troll job...you are a NON Christian with no need to post.

at the same time... you choose your own fate. so mote it be
''wide is the gate" .. I can respect this is what you choose.

So sorry to hear though. Jesus does love you and died for you too.

Yeah, yeah, and mortal man parted the seas, ANOTHER mortal man raised a dead body, claimed himself and everyone else to be immortal, then died nailed on a piece of wood a while later.

And let's not forget how he demands that in return for eternal salvation, we must serve his father and master, this interesting God guy who is jealous and malicious and treats you nicely as long as you do EXACTLY what he says.

Put one toe out of line, and you're roasted.

Yep, those are the tales we all know and love...wonderful for sleeping.

And even it was so... why you are concern about the people they've chosen for it? Is it because of love or is it to tell them how great you are?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Am ignoring and reporting the trolls.
See how the enemies of Christ work?
I sure do. they will attack at any and everything! will jump on it like flies on cow patties!

Are they In the faith? definitely not...

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

edit on 22-2-2012 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

Pardon the intrusion of a non-Christian... but i have a question my friend.

DO you believe paul, who never met Jesus... and did not preach the lessons of him...

Or do you believe Jesus, and those that actually knew him...

James 2:17
Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

Read all of James if you'd like clairification... or anything from Jesus of course...

Paul is a fraud... and a liar

edit on 22-2-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Wasn't the OP directed at so called Christians in Name? If you do not consider yourself a Christian then why do you respond as if it were directed at you? IMO God is not asking anything of you.

IMO I don't care about your opinion. I'm stating my own opinion. Problem?

I am defending the Christians who try, but aren't all righteous and zealotry about it. They'll go out and have a beer, they cuss occasionally, they aren't above partying now and then, but they have the basic message of the Lord in their hearts. I've met a few, and they aren't like the old-school Catholic types.

All of the spirit, none of the spoilsport.

Those Christians are called "apostates". If a person's life doesn't change that means Jesus never changed their life to start with.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Wasn't the OP directed at so called Christians in Name? If you do not consider yourself a Christian then why do you respond as if it were directed at you? IMO God is not asking anything of you.

IMO I don't care about your opinion. I'm stating my own opinion. Problem?

I am defending the Christians who try, but aren't all righteous and zealotry about it. They'll go out and have a beer, they cuss occasionally, they aren't above partying now and then, but they have the basic message of the Lord in their hearts. I've met a few, and they aren't like the old-school Catholic types.

All of the spirit, none of the spoilsport.

Those Christians are called "apostates". If a person's life doesn't change that means Jesus never changed their life to start with.

Dude thats harsh...

Apostasy ( /əˈpɒstəsi/; Greek: ἀποστασία (apostasia), 'a defection or revolt', from ἀπό, apo, 'away, apart', στάσις, stasis, 'stand, 'standing') is the formal disaffiliation from or abandonment or renunciation of a religion by a person. One who commits apostasy (or who apostatises) is known as an apostate. These terms have a pejorative implication in everyday use. The term apostasy is used by sociologists to mean renunciation and criticism of, or opposition to, a person's former religion, in a technical sense and without pejorative connotation. The term is sometimes also used by extension to refer to renunciation of a non-religious belief or cause, such as a political party, brain trust, or, facetiously, a sports team.

Apostasy is generally not a self-definition[citation needed]: very few former believers call themselves apostates because of the pejorative implications of the term.

Many religious groups and some states punish apostates. Apostates may be shunned by the members of their former religious group[1] or subjected to formal or informal punishment. This may be the official policy of the religious group or may be the action of its members. Certain types of churches may in certain circumstances excommunicate the apostate, while some religious scriptures demand the death penalty for apostates.

I thought Jesus called them sinners...

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

I sure do. they will attack at any and everything! will jump on it like flies on cow patties!

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

DO you believe paul, who never met Jesus... and did not preach the lessons of him...

Read all of James if you'd like clairification... or anything from Jesus of course...

Paul: "Salvation is by grace through faith."

Jesus: "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life." (John 6:47)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by Akragon

Paul: "Salvation is by grace through faith."

Jesus: "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life." (John 6:47)

What does it mean to "believe"?

Grace... is mentioned 4 times where you can read about Jesus... none of those were Jesus' words...

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

What does it mean to "believe"?

Grace... is mentioned 4 times where you can read about Jesus... none of those were Jesus' words...

Trust is a product of genuine faith. Here is an example I use: I can "believe" the stock market exists on Wall Street. I don't "trust" the stock market until I'm ready to invest my own money in it. Same with Jesus, when He says "believe on Me", He's saying "Trust Me peeps." He obviously wasn't telling people who sat in front of Him to "believe" He was a real person, He meant "Trust in Me."

Grace = unmerited favor from God. Jesus taught the difference between works righteousness and gifted righteousness when calling out the Pharisees in the Temple with the parable of the Pharisee and the Publican.

edit on 23-2-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Hi and thank you for your input!
Yeah, even the devil believes and trembles but this does not make him of the faith...just believing that He IS won't save him (the devil) from his torment.

One must believe and receive (trust) by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ's finished work upon Calvary . He was our substitution(ary) death and He paid for sins past, present and future ---- all sins are paid in FULL by Christ Himself!

This is where a lot of people get it mixed up ... You can't work your way to heaven or have works added in as an essential part of salvation! It is of grace that ye are saved. But because I am saved....I WANT to work. There is a big difference here. Some are trusting their works to save them, making their salvation Jesus PLUS the works(good deeds, etc)...but this salvation is not so, salvation is only by grace!

I am rejoicing in what Jesus has done! and because He saved me, now I desire to do good works because of this what He has done. He has completely pardoned/redeemed me ! and has saved me from hell!

Can you understand the difference now? Works won't save but Jesus does! It seems to be somewhat confusing to some, but again Jesus ALONE saves and it is not your own doings or works that can save you.

There is that TRUST issue again.

All it takes is faith. When one has a penitent heart, you just believe and RECEIVE His free gift of Love and pardon! Folks, it is free, and we can NOT earn our way to Heaven. It's alllll Jesus!

Oh the mighty Love of God and the forgiveness He offers for yours and my sins!
Do you Trust Jesus ? He paid the price for you and me.

If only folks could see this love and quit perverting the simplicity that is in Christ.
We can be FREE indeed. And then show our faith BY our works. *big difference when one tries to add this as being essential to salvation---*!

Again, professing Christians, who are you trusting? Is it Jesus ALONE ...or is it Jesus PLUS your works?
I trust Jesus ALONE. and I am honored that He loved me enough to die...
but yes, I show my faith by my works.

May we all examine ourselves...who and what do we really believe and trust? Yes, I evaluate myself often. And please know that I'm not claiming to be better than ANYone else... I just felt it necessary to remind other folks to do the same for the Bible does tell us to do thus.

I am the lowliest of the low...and I am very humbled and truly thank God for His forgiveness! But I must say that it does bother me how people react with attacks and all ..because HE LOVES and I love too....Weird, I think.
to reach out in love and try to point them (the lost folk) to the Lord Jesus . I can't imagine anyone NOT wanting this!!!

My prayer and wish for all is to know the true meaning of salvation and to know the love of God and what Christ Jesus has done for any and all whoever will come to him believing and receiving Him by faith.

If folks could only see the simplicity that is in Christ Jesus ...and all men saved...

ETA:
reply to post by SavedOne

Maybe you misunderstand... I agree ! Jesus is the Word made flesh! But then we have His written Word too!...

Psa 119:160 Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.

Mat 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

1Pe 1:25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.
edit on 23-2-2012 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join