It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life-Changing Implications of 3D Printing

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

This vid is awesome. As he says, you go into space with a printer and whatever you need, you just print!

I love this stuff.

Then you have a MOTORCYCLE printed from this stuff. OMG. I want a printer so bad now. turn down sound for this vid.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by theclutch

Yeah, there will probably always be jobs that need to ge done. But people could do them because they were passionate about those jobs.

There could be other ways to do jobs that no one really wants to do. Let's assume everyone can do whatever they want in this society. So no one wants to be a garbage man, and we don't have robots that can do this. Maybe people in a community agree that they will alternate being the garbage man that week every 6 months or so. You help out in these ways and still have the vast majority of time to do what you really want
edit on 22-2-2012 by timi0000 because: Misstype

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by timi0000

I think we would become more of a "decent society" instead of a "greed" society.

Could you imagine we all have unlimited solar power......free energy! since the only thing holding us back right now for free energy is the expense involved in purchasing and maintaining solar power.

That alone would change the world. I would print off a solar car and charge it everywhere I go because it's free everywhere.
I'd travel everywhere just cause I can.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by theclutch

What life-altering changes would unlimited solar power introduce? I can't think right now

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

lets see, no power bills. no need for power companies. money saved. unlimited travel. no more fossil fuels needed for power. power runs everything in the world right now. with free power we have unlimited potential. free heat, free air conditioning, free pumps for water. the implications of free power are too big to list.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Even the current 3D printers are pretty cool; they are relatively simple devices, with the only complexity being the control board and the extrude head (this is where the improvements in resolution will come from). The rest is just stepper motors turning threaded rods for movement. Really quite simple!

Printing circuit boards isnt too far off either; once that happens the game changes big-time.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   

I was about to start a thread on this topic but it seems i am very late with the news!!

This looks very powerful tool and would be great for making certain things you may need in a hurry without having to leave your chair to go to the shop.... it says in this report from skynews that one day soon we'll be able to print off parts for a mobile phone plus i see some comments about printing off parts for a car etc.... this would be very beneficial and almost everyone could just work from home....

But

Are we getting closer to Skynet and do we really want this scenario??? Terminator is nearly here.

news.sky.com...
edit on 25-5-2012 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join