It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Americans Are Ignorant To Other Cultures. AND I'M SICK OFF IT!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Well, most Americans have been raised in a nation that embraces indoctrination & a propagandized media machine. But the fact is there are bigots, racist, & imbeciles across the spectrum. America has its own problems to deal with, one of which is judging every other country which isn't a Constitutional Republic or doesn't have democratic processes. A large portion revel in the mainstream delusion.

That said, Islam is closing in on 2 billion adherents; as logic dictates I would expect the majority to not be mullahs or fundamentalist. The fundamentalist of any religion are usually the problem; but yes Muslims in particular seem to be the most extreme. They say the women have many rights, yet that's not what I see when observing the oppressive nature involved. Men lashing out violently if their wife or daughter displeases them in any way; I would make a list but that would just make me even angrier towards this illogical, unintelligible, intolerant dogma.

In the end I understand why the Middle Eastern cultures don't take kindly to our blatant disrespect; and at the same time I get why non-Muslims have no respect for a religion that embraces intolerance. However, I find myself often more sympathetic towards the former due to our military involvement & sanctions that result in millions of deaths. The golden rule here, do unto others as ..... well in America's case it's do whatever the f*&^ we want. And if the military industrial complex can't use religious pretext alone to start the invasion/occupation, they'll use terrorism or "humanitarian aid". We've caused A LOT of pain in that area, physically & directly; so to go around burning their holy book is certainly idiotic & uncalled for.

edit on 22-2-2012 by Raelsatu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

Originally posted by diakrite
Here I am, hoping this could be a thread-starter with some viable arguments why Americans, apparently,suck...

What do I get? An obviously b...hurt closet-muslim i want my money back.... Grrmbll

By the by, how would You feel when everybody looked at You as an unpleasant person júst because Your country has some amazing moronic loudmouths.. Oh.. You wouldn't understand, because You did just thàt of which You accuse us... Mirror, mirror, and some planks&splinters for good measure.
Most posters who are American on ATS cannot and will not attempt to comprehend other religions/cultures, they show no respect or interest. As i outlined earlier, i am not Muslim, i just have respect for other countries and cultures.

No. you are only equally ignorant having not lived in an extremist muslim country. The word Ignorant by no means means stupid.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I am sick and tired of reading responses on ATS coming from Americans who can't grasp the ideas and respect other cultures. Why does it happen? Is it your retarded education? Or is the de-sensitising and dumbing down of your nation taking effect?

Most of them are ignorant to other cultures

I'm sick and tired of the Americans complaining about the "American Bashing Threads." For some reason, you all have some mental dysfuntion

Pot meet Kettle?

Their laws originate from their religion and culture which span back thousands of years.

First of all there are multiple forms of Islam. Afghanistan was an occupied country being ruled by force by a version of Islam that killed them if they did not practice their Faith exactly as dictated by the occupiers, the Taliban.

Most of the violent deaths throughout the Middle East and the surrounding Islamic countries are Muslim on Muslim killings.

Second the books in question were taken to religious leaders for them to read the things being written in them by radical Islamist themselves. The law you speak of apparently required the books be burned because it forbids writing in the Quran as these Muslims had done. It was a simple mistake and nobody intended on insulting anyone or harming anyone. Had the books been given to the religious leaders in the area, they would have burned them themselves.

Knowing this, how reasonable is it for them to be rioting and killing over this?

YOU should do a little more homework on the Muslim Faith as you seem unaware that it is not one homogenous religion. There are multiple forms which is what has lead to the majority of deaths among the Islamic people. Muslim on Muslim killings far exceed anything that has happened in the war against the Terrorists who occupied Afghanistan.

But then it is not politically correct of me to point that out is it? Truth is not politically correct is it?

I wonder what the huge numbers of Muslims killed by other Muslims over minor religious differences would say if they could come back?

This entire event has been blown out of proportion for propaganda purposes. Those rioting are working to help the Taliban take over Afghanistan when we leave and resume killing anyone who does not practice their version of Islam. The only people being fooled are people who wish to be fooled. When we go, they will start slaughtering their fellow Muslims. Of that we can be sure.

You want a target to blame. Blame Obama for telegraphing when we are leaving to the enemy, who are anxious to take back over and resume their roles as Warlords killing anyone who does not fall in line with them.
edit on 2/22/2012 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I understand that there are differing 'sects' of Islamic releigions.. I've done some homework. Moreso than most of the posters on the Quran thread had.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by anthonygillespie2012

I don't think Daaskapital is a muslim, but even if he were why would that matter? In fact. he might even have reason to be angry because its America who has bombed middle eastern countries for a very long time, and now this mass koran burning?
Also, he wasn't calling everyone on here an American, you need to read properly before you post.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

But Blaine your taking Daaskapitals post out of proportion, he only used American ignorance of the koran as an example. Lets not go into the whole Shi'ite and Sunni context because thts not what he is referring to when the title clearly states,"Most Americans are ignorant of other cultures. AND I"M SICK OF IT!"

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I'm an American. I am proud to be American. I can understand why you feel the way you feel. As an American, I know what it's like to be told you have a freedom of speech but then turn around, you call someone a certain name you could do jail time. What? I can "speech" all I want but I can't say a word without fear of a lawsuit?
And Ignorance? I hope I don't get in 'trouble' when I say this but I believe without a shadow of a doubt that Barack Obama is in office because our American citizens wanted to make history. Instead of electing who they thought was best, they just wanted 2008 to be the year that a black man was elected President. I come in contact with people everyday who are suppose to be protecting our streets and yet they can't fill out a deposit slip. I was asked last week, "How do you spell 'as is'?"
It may not be the most educated place on Earth, it may not be the cleanest, or the most accepting place on Earth but it is my home and countless men and women have died so I could live here.
Our founding fathers' reasons in coming here in the first place was to get away from the Monarchy and have freedom. Away from religion, away from being told 'you can't be that, you have to be this'
My point is, if you don't like it, then stay where you are because we are Americans and we can be whoever we want to be.
Thank you

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Idiot this idiot that. Who's can even declare a person an idiot? I'm pretty sure only the person who decides he is an idiot can. Their are no idiots just different perspectives. What is a culture? A way someone lives their life, or the way many people live their lives? Well did you ever bother to find out this "Idiots" culture before you declared him an idiot. Maybe in his mind their are logical reasons to come to a conclusion that he doesn't agree with that culture without knowing every single detail about how those people live their lives. After all aren't you doing the same thing by not agreeing with someone because of one or two comments they made? Did you take the time to get to know that person and find out the way he lives his life. I think if you took that time maybe you would have a greater understanding of that person and wouldn't feel as if he were not an idiot, but maybe he was deprived of things that were essential to feel compassion for other compassionate beings. Open your eyes people we are all the same, and we are all what we hate.

edit on 22-2-2012 by onlytruthwillsetyoufree because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

I'm American and i don't agree with that post, don't make an assumption about Americans from a few ignorant post we all don't share the same opinion.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

I am sick and tired of reading responses on ATS coming from Americans who can't grasp the ideas and respect other cultures. Why does it happen? Is it your retarded education? Or is the de-sensitising and dumbing down of your nation taking effect?

Seriously, at least do some research before writing comments which are clearly ignorant and sometimes offensive to others.

I will use the thread about the Quran burnings as an example:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

In this thread, people, namely Americans are replying with idiotic statements such as:

Is every copy of the quran really that sacred. It is just paper after all, and many more copies of the words can be found in all corners of the world.

Just another example of the idiotic idea of religion causing undo stress.

Because religious morons think if ink prints something on plant fiber that represents their idiotic beliefs that that medium is now holy to them and anything bad that happens to that stupid book is an attack on their ignorant, idiotic beliefs.

It's just a damn book. It is full of error and it enslaves people

Because some stupid books (and yes, I mean STUPID) get destroyed, accidently or not, that's NOT a reason for people to run around like a bunch of neanderthals threatening other people.

Those people are savages! So burning a piece of paper with ink on it is a legit reason to become violent and want to kill people?

So our soldiers were forced to burn the Bible as trash, now because its their holy book and not ours its horrible and atrocious? I think not.

I wouldn't even apologize.

This here are just some of the comments made up from 3 pages. Now i must say, some of the comments there are intellectually written and well researched, but as you can see, most of them are ignorant posts, whose authors have no idea what they are going on about. This is just one example, and there are many others floating around on ATS and other sites, and i am sorry to say, it appears that the majority of Americans are not smart enough to actually comprehend other cultures.

So now, i ask of you, please research before writing your posts.

Note: I am not racist, so please don't take this personally/emotionally as you all tend to do.
edit on 22-2-2012 by daaskapital because: Title

If your opinion of people not understanding different cultures then fair play, but then being offensive to another culture makes you the exact same. If you have the right and want to be understood go and tell people about your culture and stop bashing others. And because that will not happen i will bash your culture, son me you could colour me pretty if you f.....ing pleased but the world aint all sunshine and rainbows, there have been tyrants and murderers, rapists and pedophiles since time began. We will not all be friends and sit round in a huddle and have a laugh if we all want to have our own culture and identity because by that we are creating a difference between us and thats not even including religion. So until the day were all united and make no mistake i would support it, dam right i will protect my culture.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I was watching that on the news this morning about the book burning.

What were they thinking? People will be killed and fired over that for weeks to come.

Unbelievable...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

Thank you for backing me on certain aspects in this thread

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I know this is just a rant, but I honestly do not think this is just an American thing. This is the human condition, we lack empathy with others, ALL of us! Do you honestly think that it is just American's who have no respect for others beliefs or have damn near zero knowledge of other countries culture? How many people in the rest of the world are ignorant of my beliefs and my culture? I'd bet a very large percentage!

People can be rather insulated from others and believe that them, their beliefs and their culture is the one and true way. That by it's very nature in most cases makes anyone else, their beliefs and their cultures 'wrong' and not worth attention, respect or awareness. This isn't about American's vs. everyone else's beliefs and cultures, this is about ignorance and a lack of empathy. "those" people over "there" mentality has created a mental separation from other humans and until we can restore empathy for others then the world isn't going to change. Love they neighbor and all that jazz... how many other cultures and beliefs do you personally understand and respect? Do your beliefs go against someone else's beliefs?

P.S. Ignorance is not a bad thing, it simply means that you lack the knowledge or information to a particular subject.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaMaa
I know this is just a rant, but I honestly do not think this is just an American thing. This is the human condition, we lack empathy with others, ALL of us! Do you honestly think that it is just American's who have no respect for others beliefs or have damn near zero knowledge of other countries culture? How many people in the rest of the world are ignorant of my beliefs and my culture? I'd bet a very large percentage!

People can be rather insulated from others and believe that them, their beliefs and their culture is the one and true way. That by it's very nature in most cases makes anyone else, their beliefs and their cultures 'wrong' and not worth attention, respect or awareness. This isn't about American's vs. everyone else's beliefs and cultures, this is about ignorance and a lack of empathy. "those" people over "there" mentality has created a mental separation from other humans and until we can restore empathy for others then the world isn't going to change. Love they neighbor and all that jazz... how many other cultures and beliefs do you personally understand and respect? Do your beliefs go against someone else's beliefs?

P.S. Ignorance is not a bad thing, it simply means that you lack the knowledge or information to a particular subject.

I agree. I never said it was a purely American thing. I re-iterated my stance further on through the thread. I agree, a huge percentage are narrow minded and as such do not respect other cultures. I respect all cultures, especially Asian ones (considering i do Muay Thai). Anyway, it appears that most of the Americans on ATS couldn't care less of what they are posting, they don't even bother to research and it dissapoints me, thus the reasoning behind this thread.

PS: It appears that most of the American members of this site want to revel in their ignorance and don't want to culturally expand, and gain an open mind.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I HAVE READ MOST EVERY POST IN THIS THREAD... Frankly I am sick of all these types of threads...AMERICANS...really, how about get a shot of reality.

The WORLD, is very SICK...and we need some kind of medicine that can help us get well..

To the OP:
Your point is mute, and so over with. You speak of us (Americans), as if, we were in charge of our country...you know nothing of how our leaders are elected...(not by the people, I assure you), And, let me tell you, If you are in the group that would kill me because I disrespected your religious beliefs, then you are a dork yourself, and your respect is not warranted, nor will I give it.

To, rise above our differences, requires a bit of tolerance...which, by your words, you are unwilling to give. By this means you are of the worst of us.

Don't come in here being all "holier than thou"...and disrespect me as a humble law abiding citizen, of the United States of America, you will get what you deserve. And a good dose of kiss my...will be the top of the list.

Speaking, big fighting words behind the safe cover of a keyboard, is a cowardly way to change the world...if you are not part of the solution, you are a part of it's destruction, and you and yours will go down with the rest of humanity, if we don't unitedly, find a solution.

Peace

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Andronian

The rest of the world knows you don't elect your leaders, we're very educated, so why don't you explain that to your fellow Americans who really have know idea?
Note: The world is not sick, its your so called medicine (democrazy) thats making it so.
edit on 22-2-2012 by Jace26 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

I am ..perhaps speaking to them as well...instead of bashing ...or singling out a certain culture...how about giving possible solutions to this ever growing and escalating problem of intolerance.

Many here in the USA feel as I do.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
The way the world can be cured is if the American population wakes up and chooses to live with knowledge instead of ignorance. If you truly read through most of the thread than you would know that i stated that every country has it's fair share of idiots, just that the USA has a bit more.
edit on 22-2-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

To state that Democracy is bad medicine is to show your ignorance...one day I feel the will of the people will indeed rule..that is the true nature of democracy...not your watered down biased opinion of it's true meaning.

Anything less is not true freedom.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andronian
reply to post by Jace26

To state that Democracy is bad medicine is to show your ignorance...one day I feel the will of the people will indeed rule..that is the true nature of democracy...not your watered down biased opinion of it's true meaning.

Anything less is not true freedom.

He was talking about American Democracy.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join