It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just saying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I've been putting off this rant for some time now.

First, I'd like to make some things clear. I've seen some rants about typos and grammar mistakes and posts saying not everyone has English as their first language and all, and I understand, I'm not a native speaker either. I can completely understand when mistakes are made for this reason.

But this thing that I'm going to address now, is not a mistake due to language barriers and something that irritates me every time I read it.

Ladies and gentleman, I present you: "Just saying".

I know, I know, it's just a little phrase that does no harm to anyone, right? I really don't know why it bothers me so much (like monkeys. God, I dislike monkeys!), but I can tell you why I don't like it:

Unless I have suddenly acquired telepathic powers, I know you're saying it. We all say things, that's how we communicate, because we're not mind readers.

Another thing, I've been seeing this phrase taking the place of the old "second line", like this:

"Insert completely irrelevant, one line post.
Just saying"

Again, I'm not perfect, I make mistakes. Sometimes I go back to my older posts and think "Oh god, how could you write that? You know it's not spelled that way, or it's the wrong word or something". And I know there are many different people in this site and everyone has a particular way of communicating, so I don't want to come off as someone who will disregard a whole post or thread just because of the "just saying", because I don't.

It's just a little phrase that makes me shake my head and close my eyes for a second and then move on. But the pressure built up and I needed to let it out for a little bit.

Thank you for reading, I await excitedly the responses with "just saying" attached to them

Have a nice day

edit on 22-2-2012 by Casandra because: I forgot the space after a period! *gasp*

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
It's to dull the bluntness of whatever's being said. If someone is saying something harsh, they'll tone it down a little by saying that.

Y'know...just saiyan.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I agree 100%

Just saying

Honestly though, it feels like some people say "just saying" as to clear themselves of responsibility or something?

Also the phrase has no content or value at all...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Yeah, I've read it appears to be the new "no offense". And thanks for the "just saying" at the end

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
lmfao,imho,tptb,lol,m&f,op,.....
this is the stuff that gets me going!

are we getting that lazy we cannot bother to spell complete words?
hand writing is quickly becoming a lost art!
my children can write and spell quite well,but their friends hand writing is horrible! bad spelling,bad grammar,with cipher like sloppiness that you need a code to read it!

but they can text on their phone faster than a super computer!
the powers that be are slowly(perhaps quickly)turning us back into illiterates!
not my family though!!! we read actual books!!!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by reficul

I know what you mean, sometimes I have to look it up when someone shortens a phrase, I believe the last one was "afaik", which means "as far as I know".

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

my children can write and spell quite well,but their friends hand writing is horrible! bad spelling,bad grammar,with cipher like sloppiness that you need a code to read it!

It is correct grammar to capitalize the first letter of each sentence.

Just sayin'.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

lmfao!!!
like i say,i really suck at keyboarding,and if i use capitals,i will leave the caps on,and forget,then i will have to re-type the whole thing over again! or, it will appear that i'm yelling!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I posted this in another thread, and it seems to apply here as well. Though indirectly.
ETA: Fast forward to 2:35.

I occasionally read comments suggesting the english language lacks in some way. I disagree. I think the truth is, we are lacking by not taking the time to properly read, write, and speak our own language in the United States. Larger vocabulary equals better communication skills. And the need for "Just Sayin'", afaik, lol, and so on is diminished.

Read posts by members such as Astyanax and Jean Paul Zodeau. You won't find them using "Just Sayin'".
edit on 2/22/2012 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
totally agree, was just thinking today how annoying it is when posters totally bash the op or whatever then follow it up with 'just sayin', like that makes it better. I think it's also used to wind people up...

I love monkeys though!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

LMFAO! This coming from a user who started a thread for the explicit purpose of having it go absolutely nowhere (supposedly to make a point). And you choose to take issue on grammar, which at least is understandable rather than a dozen posts of total rubbish? lol. imho, you shouldn't say anything at all.

If TPTB have decided to turn us into illiterates, I'd rather be that than a hypocrite. Go and jump in op's wagon.

Just saying.

**kudos to anyone who sees what I did here**

edit on CWednesdayam474734f34America/Chicago22 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

edit on CWednesdayam252535f35America/Chicago22 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by doubledutch

Originally posted by doubledutch

I love monkeys though!

So that's how it is, huh? Lets see what you say when the monkey apocalypse comes!

edit on 22-2-2012 by Casandra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
My most humble apologies. I did not know I was in the presents of omnipitence! I pray the Gods of grammar take mercy on my misspelled,un-capitalized,poor grammared soul. Please accept my forgiveness your highness.reply to post by Starchild23

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
It kinda smacks me of... "I don't mean to be insulting BUT...."

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mister_Bit
It kinda smacks me of... "I don't mean to be insulting BUT...."

But some of the posts that end with "just saying" are definitely insulting, there's no way around it. So why adding it (considering it is viewed as a "no offense") if the whole point of the post is to bash another member?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

Read posts by members such as Astyanax and Jean Paul Zodeau. You won't find them using "Just Sayin'".

I've read some of Astyanax's posts on the thread about the guy who took his daughter's cell phone away. You're right about what you say, but those posts have substance, and I think I'd make an exception if there was a "just saying" at the end.

So I guess it's not the phrase in itself that bothers me, but using it to fill space when you have nothing important to say.

top topics

join