It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space bacteria found in British river could be new power source for the world

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
So, first question: would the U.K. even consider sharing this with the U.S.?

Also, just imagine if, instead of constantly burning gaseous fuels that pollute our atmosphere in order to run a less-than-efficient steam turbine to create energy...we had racks and racks of bacterial trays, filled with organisms flooding a bank of batteries with energy which is then channeled as needed.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: We have the technology and intellect to create a utopia...we just choose to remain animals.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I wonder sometimes if certain bacteria exists that evolved to grow and thrive outside the bounds of our atmosphere.

True "space bacteria" that has evolved in the vacuum of space.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Maybe its usage could be more reliable then the batteries they now use, the distant radius now is not that high..But can those bacteria be recharged or do we have to feed them...?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by snewpers
So uhm... no side-effects to this thingie then?

It's not confirmed yet.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I can imagine a septic tank filled with these little guys powering homes.
Just add poop.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Don't worry. Some scientist will cross-breed these with some bacteria that grows faster/better/cheaper that regular old "space bacteria" and then...

wait for it...

ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Space bacteria showing up in Britain? Clearly it hitched a ride on the TARDIS with the Doctor.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Dont worry.

They will change the formula for roundup and wipe them away like stupid little bees........

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
I've said it before, I'll say it again: We have the technology and intellect to create a utopia...we just choose to remain animals.

WE don't choose to remain animals, THEY force us to remain animal because it's easier to herd.

You and me, we aren't choosing anything because if we did, we wouldn't go on with the slavery system we have now. We would implement free renewable energy resources for everyone. We are not weak minded, power mad and mentally diseased like the ones that do not want global energy freedom.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGreatest

I don't know, something sounds suspicious to me. How did they find this in all places a river...what the hell were they looking for in the river in the first place.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
wow space bacteria found near where I live

I'm flagging this as it's local and interesting

thanks

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
OMFG thats where i live
SAFC till i die (sorry had to bring up football)
interesting they found something that generates electricity from outer space!!!!
now they need to breed it and hook it up to my ps3 xD

imma go fishing down the ratty now i read this...
electrifyingly good find S + F
edit on 22-2-2012 by Insearchofthetruth1987 because: i didnt read OP fully just seen sunderland and started reply extra DIV

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0bserver1
Maybe its usage could be more reliable then the batteries they now use, the distant radius now is not that high..But can those bacteria be recharged or do we have to feed them...?

The batteries could be recharged by growing more organisms which we have the intellect and the facilities to do.

It's likely we will open up joint scientific studies on the bacteria with scientists in the US.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evanzsayz
reply to post by TheGreatest

I don't know, something sounds suspicious to me. How did they find this in all places a river...what the hell were they looking for in the river in the first place.

Why would they lie?

The river runs right along past a University as well with many scientific research labs.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
So, their energy source must be from light? Could be useful in developing better solar cell technologies!?

I wonder if these bacteria can give be convinced to create a Bacter Aurora way up there for me to enjoy just like how the oceans light up. (wish I lived in Alaska!)!! Sort of like this.

In some oceans when the night is dark enough, you can see the waves glow as the water stirs. This is caused by phytoplankton called dinoflagellates. They give off a soft blue glow when disturbed. The chemicals they use are similar to the ones causing lightning bugs to glow.

Souce of text and Image

(edit) Thanks OP, fascinating stuff! s&f

I wonder if ocean bioluminescence is related to this space bacteria in any way??
edit on 22-2-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I second the "why were the looking for space bacteria in a British River, and what were they looking for if they weren't looking for it?"

as well as.. how in the h*ll did space bacteria get INTO a British River? Does anyone else find that odd?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ragiusnotiel

To answer your question on how the "space" bacteria got into the river: the bacteria in question is located in the stratosphere, which is actually more like the "edge" of space; the bacteria would still be caught in Earth's orbit and at the mercy of our weather patterns to some degree. So, the likeliest answer is that they rode down on raindrops.

As far as why they were looking around for bacteria in the first place, I gathered that the researchers were already looking for bacteria that are known to produce electricity and just happened to stumble across this highly exotic breed.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Text Teal
Perhaps the bacteria fell from a passing UFO? There seem to be a lot of reported sightings lately, seen in that area too allegedly...
But I really hope the University of Newcastle makes certain wretched Monsanto keep their poisoned grimey fingers off them!

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I wonder how effective this could be.
They say it can power appliances in developing nations.
That sounds like it's low yield.

Still they also said it filters/cleans water so it's a two birds with one stone thing.

Touching bases on something someone said in the dolphin right thread, find a way to integrate this into our bodies possibly the colon and we could have the necessary power source for nano bots and other mechanical items to extend our life.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pigraphia
I wonder how effective this could be.
They say it can power appliances in developing nations.
That sounds like it's low yield.

Still they also said it filters/cleans water so it's a two birds with one stone thing.

Touching bases on something someone said in the dolphin right thread, find a way to integrate this into our bodies possibly the colon and we could have the necessary power source for nano bots and other mechanical items to extend our life.

I think before we even look at doing that sort of research we first need to completely understand the makeup of the bacteria and what effect it has on humans and animals to begin with, we also need to have a look at things it reacts with, especially bodily fluids and other chemicals and hormones found within a human being.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join