It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dell Dimension 4550 windows xp

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Looking to wipe clean and start all over, Seeing as I have no disk at all to go with this computer I will need this, Right?

Windows XP Service Pack 3, Checked Build (342.9 MB) hurmm that must be just the service pack doesnt include windows..man it been a while since ive done this...
www.microsoft.com...

Right?

then the these drivers, Right?
www.dell.com...

edit on 25-2-2012 by SunLife because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by SunLife

yeah. thats all you should need

gook luck with your install!!

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Honeslty, board,chip & ram can be gotten for under 1000$ bucks now and if you want a non-gaming machine that still whips that crap out of the competition, a good build will only cost about 1300

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
haven't formatted yet, tried installing the driver to see if the machine would connect, but still says it cant resolve the isp, limited connection.. no connection. ugh..

so I may have to start fresh just so I can know its not bugged .. so confused at the moment..

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by spaceg0at

Originally posted by SunLife
I was given a Dell 4550 tower and I was wondering is it worth while cleaning up ( reformatting/fdisk) isn't xp a bit risky given the security flaws in xp? or can it all be be updated?

I thinking Ill need more ram. maybe a few other hardware upgrades... I haven't started it up yet but it looks almost brand new. The owner said it was getting to slow from him. which was the problem with most of the old xp computers..

any tips or problem I may encounter?

thanks

funny u post this.. i just spent a couple hrs yesterday installing a new hdd and xp home on a 10 yo dell dimension desktop for a friends dad.

and yeah its worth fixing. it will work fine for net browsing.

you should add some ram if you have it. most older dells only have 256 from the factory.

also u will need to get some drivers from the website. search the model number there.
its good to have another pc that has internet handy for this. and a thumb drive.

audio drivers, ethernet drivers, and maybe some others like usb and video drivers. its all free.

if you have any dell, compaq, or HP windows xp recovery cds you can use them, otherwise a fresh xp install should be cake on that pc other than having to manually install the device drivers

hope this helps

ps: i got that old dell to run the web like a rocket ship with 512k and a new os.lucky for us the video card is decent so i didnt have to change it. most people dont need anything faster than this. its a celeron and its faster that my droid now. fyi

edit on 22-2-2012 by spaceg0at because: (no reason given)

I happen to have a pair of HP recover disk, you think they will work to reformat this dell dimesion 4550?

I have my xp win Key so all i need is a copy of windows... im thinking
edit on 25-2-2012 by SunLife because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
anyone have an xp windows download link?

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

haven't formatted yet, tried installing the driver to see if the machine would connect, but still says it cant resolve the isp, limited connection.. no connection. ugh..

so I may have to start fresh just so I can know its not bugged .. so confused at the moment..

You need drivers for your Ethernet. Here is what I use.
100000 BEST Windows Drivers
Just pop in the DVD, and go to Control Panel/Devive Manager. In XP this is in "System/Devices" I think. Find the Ethernet Controller, and click on it. Instruct the update manager to look for drivers on the DVD. Windows will post a warning that these are not "Windows Certified" drivers, but go ahead anyway. When finished, your Ethernet will work fine. Then navigate to:
Dell Drivers & Downloads
Download any hardware drivers you need, easy installs on most of them. Good luck.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SunLife

Check your U2s, friend, perhaps I can help you out here.
Second line.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SunLife

try the recovery cds you have

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Just pop in the DVD, and go to Control Panel/Devive Manager. In XP this is in "System/Devices" I think. Find the Ethernet Controller, and click on it. Instruct the update manager to look for drivers on the DVD. Windows will post a warning that these are not "Windows Certified" drivers, but go ahead anyway. When finished, your Ethernet will work fine. Then navigate to:
Dell Drivers & Downloads
Download any hardware drivers you need, easy installs on most of them. Good luck.

TYVM

and I just order replacement disk from dell.. They ask me to submit an Info form and didnt ask me for any $$?? wonder if they are sending them for free... ??

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Dell Drivers & Downloads

TYVM

and I just order replacement disk from dell.. They ask me to submit an Info form and didnt ask me for any $$?? wonder if they are sending them for free... ??

Because it's Dell, and XP is a decade old. I hope Microsoft disables activation/re-activation on XP in 2014 when support ends.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by PharohGnosis

Dell Drivers & Downloads

TYVM

Because it's Dell, and XP is a decade old. I hope Microsoft disables activation/re-activation on XP in 2014 when support ends.

What is one to do, really? Ive read these post and read the sites, and ask other friends. The lunix is ok at best and has problems running some windows programs ect.. This will buy me time at the least cost and I use it as just net surfing and file storage or accounting ect..Ill will be fine with that. I have a main computer w/ Vista and Never had any problems but this machine will soon be headed to non- support line.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I have personally installed PCLinuxOS on a Dell Dimension Laptop and EVERYTHING worked right out of the box. I did have to disable the onboard Ethernet in BIOS to make the WiFi work, but it worked. Did the same think on my wife's Toshiba Satellite laptop. Same result.
I suppose Fedora could be made to work, but the wireless could be a problem, especially for PCs with RealTec WiFi. Seems RealTec is a Microsoft thing, and they do not license drivers for Linux.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Check the capacitors on your dell. The 4500 series was one that had some bulging issues. I ran a 4500 and later a 4550 for many years. Probably my most used machine. I sent it to the recyclers last year.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join