It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did you save a life in your life?..At least the Life of an Ant! No? I thought so...

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

What has posting threads have to do with good deeds?

Isn't spreading knowledge a good deed to help save mankind from becoming dumber? I think it is, because it is something you are not required to do yet you still take your time in doing it so others can read and grasp your concepts...

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

i will never kill anything unless it is threatening me , not even a bug, just this morning a let a stink bug go outside

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by diamondsmith
reply to post by Yosemite Sam

If I may, can you please tell us what you eat?
What all the normal people eat ,different types of meat and vegetables prepared in different ways,eat at different restaurants,all types of normal prepared food.

So, by inference aren't you participating in the killing of cows, chickens, pigs, lambs, fish, etc.?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moneyisgodlifeisrented

How do you know we are the only creatures with awareness?

We could find out tomorrow, that all other animals here are just like us, only they are limited by their communication abilities.

Or that, they are more evolved...
Because we rule then and have them at our disposal to decide their faith.

Decide thier faith?

WOW

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Yosemite Sam

Do you think the population of cows, chickens, pigs, sheep would be as high as it is without the commercial raising of such animals explicitly for human consumption?

So, the philosophical question is this: Is it better to have never existed at all, or better to be bred and exist in captivity and be ruled and consumed by your captor?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I always put spiders outside (glass and paper method) ...

can't kill bugs (don't like them but just physically can't do it) ...

saved my dog Holly (died of natural causes last year after many happy years together) from the dogs home and certain death a lot sooner ...

last but not least I saved my baby grandaughter's life when she stopped breathing after an allergic reaction to baby formula during the transition from breast to bottle (scared the beejeebuz out of me but kept my cool and kept her alive until the ambulance arrived ... she's fine now).

Woody

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
What if it was self defense?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

Hehe my moms the same way.. but only with spiders
If its a beetle or something I take it outside too.
Even on the rainy days I try to avoid the earthworms that crawl up.
And that can be quite a task sometimes lol

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Yea in a heavenly environment where everybody could avoid even stepping on bugs, this might fly..... but in real life, it ain't gonn'a work...................... want proof...... go on ebay and buy a cheap jewlers 'loope' and then when you recieve it, Go outside and plop your lard self down in the dirt, or on the lawn. Open your 'loope' and get next to the ground and start looking.....you will see plenty. ....Lots of moving stuff, eating lots of smaller stuff, eating lots of smaller stuff, ad infinitum. It's all a warm and fuzzy thought, but it will never ever happen, now or ever.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I save the spiders that come into my house when my gf tells me to kill them.
But then I go hunting, kill birds and rabbits for sport and food and also watch bull fighting.
Is that messed up?
But then I have four chickens, two ducks and a domestic rabbit (also a dog).
So it's like kind of playing God, as in choosing what lives and what doesn't, but always within the law and rules.
Do I feel bad when I take the life of an animal? Yes.
Do I feel good when I save the life of an animal? Yes.
What gives eh.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle
i go out of my way to save lives, whether it's bugs in my pool or the ones i can save in my house or even on the job. i do take a lot of lives also, since i'm a pest control guy, but i do care. i have purposely left many bee hives alone along with ant colony's and such that were in no way going to be a problem for my customers. i care, i think that's what matters.
My question has a lot of other meanings more from the philosophically point and real,related to us as individuals.

How many burgers, chicken nuggets, steaks, and other meals have you chowed down lately?
If you're a vegetarian, how many bugs are killed via related pesticides do ya think?
That gnat that just bit you, did you simply say "oh by gosh that darn thing" and let it fly away, or did you instinctively smash it into a bloody pulp? How about that leather belt holding up your pants? Leather shoes, wallet, jacket?

If you save a spider while scarfing down a meat-lovers pizza, you are a hypocrite.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Where does LIFE come from?, and go to?
Isn't the planet merely a consequence of the continuous implosion of life?
Thus does it matter if anyone KILLS anything?
And if the LIFE force is a continuum that passes from entity to entity, haven't We all been everything at some point?
en.wikipedia.org...
gravitor

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

reply to post by WanDash

I don't think the answer is as simple as the OP has suggested.
I never said that the answer is simple,that is why this thread,but please provide us with your thoughts.

Well - Thanks for the invitation.
Actually, my thoughts are in direct line with the prior post...being - how far do you/we/I take it?
For some - "life" includes "all".
In the religious "catechism" that spawned me - God created everything for our (humans) pleasure. And thus, many attitudes I now count reprehensible, were not only condoned, but applauded and encouraged.
A number of respondents have recalled their childhood/childish attitudes toward "pests"... I recall the same. I know it was trained-in.
Conversely, following the vein of admonitions from "Reverend Maynard", was another series of lines, stating - "Life feeds on Life feeds on Life feeds on Life"...and, while our moral sensibilities might recoil at such a phrase, I don't think there is a genuine rebuttal to be found.
So - in response to the OP...I like to think that I'm promoting life and trying to respect all (or, as many as practicable) forms of the same...when swerving to miss caterpillars, tarantulas, & grasshoppers, stepping over the routes of migrating ants, and otherwise attempting not to harm smaller inhabitants of this world...but know that it is beyond the scope of individual survival "not" to participate in the consumption of other forms of "life".

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by primus2012

Why? The people who ate them didn't kill them.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I'm a lifeguard. I've saved many lives. OP saved some ants. Hardly deserving of a whole topic. Telling about your good deed pretty much nullifies the deed itself - it leaves room for selfishness. Dude is an armchair philanthropist. Lame.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Hello diamondsmith,

Yes, a long time ago (mid 60's) on a family vacation to Sea Isle City, NJ.
I was swimming with my brother and he was pulled out to sea by the undertow.
I swam out and pulled him back to the shore.
I was a "Life" Boy Scout at the time, he was a "Tenderfoot". No kidding.

We always speak on Skype weekly, from Abu Dhabi to Winston-Salem, NC.

Great topic. S&F

PS, I kill as many cockroaches as I can, here in Abu Dhabi as well as when I lived in New Orleans, they suck.
ETA: Re the ant thing, I have killed literally millions of Red Ants on my property in LA and MS. Horses or children do not like Red Ants.
73's,
Tom

edit on 23-2-2012 by tomdham because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
If I saved my own life does that count? Since like you said my life is just as valuable as anybody else's so if I have saved my own life I have technically saved a life right?

I am hero.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

I saved the life of a human being that later became a fire fighter. Do I get some +interwebz?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by tomdham

We always speak on Skype weekly, from Abu Dhabi to Winston-Salem, NC.
Thank you tomdham understood and very ,very appreciated here.People like you give hope and love with their words and that value more then all the Gold In the World because they come from the Heart.

edit on 23-2-2012 by diamondsmith because: ,

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by KryptKeeper
If I saved my own life does that count? Since like you said my life is just as valuable as anybody else's so if I have saved my own life I have technically saved a life right?

I am hero.

I am hero.
Yes you are,because saving your life value as much as saving any other life,maybe more for some.

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join