It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did you save a life in your life?..At least the Life of an Ant! No? I thought so...

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Yes OP...good question....good thought.
Save a life? No one has saved a life, because that would mean the life does not end. I have prolonged lives. At least I like to think so. A spider caught in the shower or bathtub, we don't kill it, we catch it and put it outside. I spent over 3grand on surgery for our beloved pet. He lived four years longer. Life is important to me and all my family. Certainly about our loved ones, including our animals. If I catch a kid out from in front of a bus I have not saved a life, but I have prolonged the heck out of it.
So, does that count?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Some years ago, one of my co-workers had the brakes fail on his van, and the van started rolling down the hill towards a group of other workers. You have heard of people being able to do amazing things in time of stress? Well, I don't know how, but I grabbed the back bumper, and kept the van from going on down the hill and injuring the other workers. He said after, he was amazed I was able to hold the van back, the brakes had completely failed.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
lol @ thread title. i think i squashed a few ants today. am i going to hell? your nuts diamond.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
And I must add a disclaimer to my last post......different lives have different value depending on ones point of view. If a rattlesnake threatens one of mine, then my knife or shotgun will take that life. Same with a burglar or rapist or mugger. As much as life is important, those that would act malicious to mine, will lose that life if I have a say.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

Dear diamonsmith,

My dear A Question the important thing is what you feel deep inside your heart.

I am not sure how to answer, it happened 44 years ago. It all happened so fast, I was living in an apartment and there was a pool in front of our door. I had just got home from school and was with my older brother and sister. The little girl was pushing chairs up to the border of the pool, one fell in and she went with it. The chair landed on top of her in the deep section. I just jumped in, fully clothed, swam to the bottom, pulled the chair off her and pulled her up. I didn't real think much about it at the time, I didn't feel like I had done anything special, just what needed to be done. We never really talked about it after that though my grandmother told the newspaper, my mother did not allow anyone to discuss it with me which was a good thing. I don't think I did anything special, I just happened to be there. I guess more than anything, I have just always wondered what happened to the girl, I don't even know her name. Peace.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I don't kill bugs. When I swat a mosquito or kill an ant, I feel horrible and sulk about it. I had no right to kill it. Every life is sacred and has a purpose. Some lives exist to die. But I won't be the one to do it. I actually enjoy watching bugs carry out their natural duties. I know it's weird but I sometimes talk to bugs. I talk t animals, too. They will never talk back but I find it comforting letting them know I'm friendly and wish to communicate with them.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Avalessa

I ditto that. I can roil over a log and watch the ants for hours

Silly huh Yup I roll the log back over when done
edit on 22-2-2012 by amethystmoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Yesterday, I came home from a bike ride and there was a racoon sitting in the middle of the road. Observed him for a while, dragging himself around on his stomach, laying on it's back, legs twitching in the air, one eye whited out - called animal control - he determined either an early stage of rabies or some viral/nerological problem - he called the cops - one 12-gauge shot later - he was gone.
So I saved all the other animals this sick animal could have infected.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by amethystmoon

I'm glad someone doesn't think I'm crazy for admiring those silly little ants

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Why would you say "No, I thought so?" Actually, I have saved a life. I was having a nice time at the beach, just minding my own business, reading a book when I heard a little girl screaming that her sister was drowning. There was only a couple of people at the beach and nobody payed attention. They didn't even look this little girl's way. I thought I was in the Twilight Zone. I swam out there (which was very far), and I tried to get behind her to grab her under the arms (lifeguard rule #1) and she flipped around and took me under. I swam the whole way under water with her on my back and collapsed when I got to the sand. An ambulance had to come for me. Obviously I'm fine because I'm here, but I sure saved that girl's life. Her parents were nowhere around. Nobody even cared to try to help her. She is alive today because of me. So you can take your statement back.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Avalessa

They will never talk back
But they feel,as exchange of feelings is beyond human comprehension.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by diamondsmith
reply to post by Char-Lee

Are you a vegetarian?
No I am not.

Hard to understand you will not kill and ant but you eat tortured animals for food. Most people i know have never eaten and animal.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

reply to post by Char-Lee

Are you a vegetarian?
No I am not.

Hard to understand you will not kill and ant but you eat tortured animals for food. Most people i know have never eaten and animal.
So, that was a trap...I eat like the most majority of the people,that doesn't make you,me or anyone else guilty for eaten what God gave us.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Genesis Chapter 1, verse 26:

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

No, I don't sweat over the death of animals so long as there is a reason for it. I grew up on a ranch and I am a lifelong hunter. I do have some philosophical issues with people who refuse to participate in the process of butchering their dinner animal, yet are perfectly willing to eat the product of that butchered animal. I believe a man has to fully understand where that steak or those ribs came from, and what happened between the field and the grill, in order to really appreciate his food.

For what its worth, I didn't kill any ants today either consciously or unconsciously... but then, there's about 3 feet of snow on the ground right now so that isn't saying a whole lot.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

What does Life mean to you...conscious life!

I never take the life of an ant in my...conscious life.

Someone said once "Save a life, save a whole world"

But you?..it can be worth more than we imagine.

Although today the killing has become a way of life.

Maybe humans are unconscious when they take another life..

Life.Why we do not give it the real value!

How can be worth a life, how life is worth to you.

In industrial nations, the justice system considers a human life "priceless" thus illegalized any form of slavery; i.e., humans cannot be bought for any price.
However, with a limited supply of resources or infrastructural capital (e.g. ambulances), or skill at hand, it is impossible to save every life, so some trade-off must be made.
Also, this argumentation neglects the statistical context of the term. It is not commonly attached to lives of individuals or used to compare the value of one person's life relative to another person's.
It is mainly used in circumstances of saving lives as opposed to taking lives or "producing" lives.
source(en.wikipedia.org...

Who give us the right to take another life!No one.Ever.

And we must never forget that,.the evil that we do to others it can turn against us, or not, depends on the history of our pre-

Layering of history is like layers of coal can lead to a certain self-ignition when the conditions are met.

Did you save a life in your life?

No?I thought so!

They call me Cap'n Planet at work cause ill go outta the way to take insects outside to the natural environment
i think i might be late because im postin this

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
"Save a life when you can." That's always been my philosophy, but there are some creatures that just need to go. Ants in the yard are fine. Ants on my kitchen counter..... they didn't RSVP so they get the smack down.

To answer the question: have I ever saved a life?

1994 - I saved my own mother and the child of a couple I didn't even know during a river flash flood.
1997- Pulled three of my friends out of a burning twisted wreck that used to be my parent's SUV after it flipped several times down a winding road and landed in a marsh.
1999 - I saved a girl I went to school with from being gang raped at a party during my girlfriend's (now wife's) senior year.

Annnnnnd I save spiders and various other creatures that find their way into my home on a regular basis... except of course those ants.... and house flies. House flies I kill, too.... and mosquitos.

edit on 22-2-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Hate to ask but mosquitos don't count right? Because i'd exterminate all of them if I could. Annoying buggars.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

OP..... are all lives equal?

I ask, because I have this theory that there is a finite amount of life force in the universe. The more people that live, the drastically less of other species live. It seems to me that if people want to build a small subdivision where 50 families will live, then the population of deer, squirrels, raccoons, ants, spiders, moles, rabbits, birds, etc, has to drop a significantly higher amount to make the ecosystem balance out. As the human population of the earth increases, so does the population of all other combined species shrink in a related exponential amount.

So, what I ask is this, is saving one human equivalent to saving 10 million ants? What about saving 10 dogs, or a heard of wild mustangs? Is there some point system? Serious question, because I believe there is. I don't believe we are rewarded for saving anything, I think we are supposed to do exactly that, and I don't think there is a reward for doing what is already expected of you, but, just for general purpose, I do not think all lives are equal, and that includes human lives. There are situations where several will die and one can live, and we have to be able to choose which one rationally.

And, for the person that almost killed the cat, but then "saved" it. Holding a life in your hands and choosing to not end it, is NOT the same as saving a life. In the Karmic realm, I think just reaching that point where you have to choose means you have already done massive karmic damage, and choosing correctly doesn't repair anything, it just keeps you from digging in deeper! That was some scary and sick stuff about hanging the cat and observing it and then saving it, only to kill it again 6 months later? That is some sick and twisted, needs to be institutionalized behavior.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by denynothing

To say that the only one that hasn't killed is Jesus is an assumption. This conversation/thread is including animals and insects. There is no mention of Jesus being a vegetarian, actually references of the opposite. He help fish with the fisherman, therefore killing fish. Jesus was a Killer. I tell it like it is. show me scripture that points otherwise i may change my mind. I was raise a Catholic before i decided to educate myself.

When i wrote that comment i decided whether or not to say "too spiritually evolved" for a reason. It is my religion/spirit which i follow a Middle Path daily. By me saying too spiritually evolved, it was not a comparison to you or others. it is a description of my path of spiritual evolution. knowing what i know spiritually, i would be a hypocrite if i killed for survival, even though my past 20 years of life i have survived without it.

I think you misread my comment. I do not avoid transportation. It was my example of how one could go to the extreme to save a life.

In answer to your question. If a species invades my home i first try the humane way of dealing with it. in the case of fleas i might kill them. but luckily where i live they are not a problem. I try not to kill anything that is non invasive.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jgarcya

I agree. Even eating vegetables is "killing." You cannot eat a carrot without killing said carrot. If life is sacred, then that must go for all life. As living creatures, we gain our energy by ingesting the energy of other things. This is why fresh food is better than processed food, this is why people who eat nothing but manmade products look damn near like zombies. To thrive, the living need the energy of other living things. That's why they tell you to eat vegetables raw or lightly steamed. The more life that's in them the better.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join